LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Looking forward to see how he does with the Chargers this week in practice.

I hate that we have to wait over a week for the next game.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
a big arm does not make a superbowl winning qb. The most worrisome thing for me was how he got rattled. He lacked pocket awareness was inaccurate and was confused. There was no poise. I'm hoping this is because Shanahan instructed him not to take off. He had 4 or so good passes. 1 great pass. The rest was horrible. He needs at least a year.. There is no way this guy starts this year, especially with a superbowl ready roster.
I was actually impressed with his accuracy. That was one of the knocks on him coming out of college. Yeah he misfired on a couple but there were definitely some absolute strikes mixed in there. Some were caught and a couple were dropped.
a big arm does not make a superbowl winning qb. The most worrisome thing for me was how he got rattled. He lacked pocket awareness was inaccurate and was confused. There was no poise. I'm hoping this is because Shanahan instructed him not to take off. He had 4 or so good passes. 1 great pass. The rest was horrible. He needs at least a year.. There is no way this guy starts this year, especially with a superbowl ready roster.

Another dude with the rattled talk…you guys are being ridiculous. That wasn't being rattled that was being a rookie and having some of your best throws dropped.

There was no rattled in Lance, just missing guys he's going to learn to see as he gets more work.

You guys expecting prime Joe Montana his first preseason game? Our fans are so ridiculous sometimes.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
It was a successful debut for Trey... best thing I saw was poise, he handled himself really well and didn't show any deer in the headlights kind of looks

Just goes to show you…if people want to see something that's not there then they will.
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
Trey actually had the best yards per attempt number in the game, at 9.1. Passing percentage is kind of an overr-rated stat, yards per attempt is more meaningful.

One throw made that stat. That's not me hating but 80 yards on one throw makes that go from 3.1 to 9.1. Again Trey hit that throw so all credit in the world but YPA can be overrated as well when one throw can dramatically change the numbers.

Originally posted by genus49:
Just goes to show you…if people want to see something that's not there then they will.

This has been the whole QB process since January to be honest. With all of the QBs
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:
Definitely scripted. And it was beautiful.

It was a spin off of the Yankee concept. Instead of running a typical clear out for Aiyuk's crosser, Sherfield broke across the field and had a large area to work with. With Lance's big arm, that entire opposite side of the field is now in play. Now it's on film, good luck DCs.
Originally posted by krizay:

This has been the whole QB process since January to be honest. With all of the QBs

I agree, I know you were firmly against Trey at draft time, curious to hear how you feel now?
My simple assessment: Started off good, finished not so good. Showed promise, not ready yet.
Let him sit until either Jimmy gets hurt or we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. No rush at this point, especially with the OL being questionable.

Funny how through training camp many have concluded that he's the "week 1 starter", and now after the very first pre-season game, he's not ready to be a starter.

hahahahah Niner Talk at it's finest!

Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

I agree, I know you were firmly against Trey at draft time, curious to hear how you feel now?

1st half I posted how my biggest issue was his accuracy and thought he answered that question.

Then came the 2nd half.

During the process I also noticed that most of his runs were designed runs and not so much escaping pressure runs. Which was totally against what most here thought he offered.

After game 1 I'm exactly where I was before the draft but obviously see the potential in him. That said, even watching live I thought the 80 yarder should have went to Aiyuk. Obviously, it worked out for us. However, if he continues to pass up the open man and my guess the #1 option on the play wanting bigger plays it will not end well for us in tbe long haul.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Definitely scripted. And it was beautiful.

It was a spin off of the Yankee concept. Instead of running a typical clear out for Aiyuk's crosser, Sherfield broke across the field and had a large area to work with. With Lance's big arm, that entire opposite side of the field is now in play. Now it's on film, good luck DCs.

Opening up the underneath stuff even more.
1st half I posted how my biggest issue was his accuracy and thought he answered that question.

Then came the 2nd half.

During the process I also noticed that most of his runs were designed runs and not so much escaping pressure runs. Which was totally against what most here thought he offered.

After game 1 I'm exactly where I was before the draft but obviously see the potential in him. That said, even watching live I thought the 80 yarder should have went to Aiyuk. Obviously, it worked out for us. However, if he continues to pass up the open man and my guess the #1 option on the play wanting bigger plays it will not end well for us in tbe long haul.

Uh, you don't take that 5 yard check down to aiyuk there. Are you joking?
Coming into draft Trey biggest weakness was accuracy/ball placement inconsistency which was due to bad mechanics in throwing. Its so clear how hard he worked on that the past year ot so (its been a while since he played live football).

The only issue i really saw was sometimes he held the ball a bit long but i think he was told not to take of running and they are some plays where i thought he couldve thrown it away.

My main criticism is i saw some careless passes that were almost int but i think that's the difference between playing in the FCS vs the NFL (even backups). Those throws were completions in college so he took them but those turned to almost pick here. But stuff like that is completely normal for rookie QBs especially when considering what conference he played in
Share 49ersWebzone