LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ghostofabshelmet:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Everyone is playing with or against backups right now. All I'm saying is that Lance didnt impress me. I saw nothing that warranted him being taken over Fields, who does everything he does... but better and in a more polished package, battle tested and with an incomparable resume.

Just giving my take. While I love Fields, I'm a 49ers fan first and foremost. I assure you theres no bias.

Fields was horrible in the 1st half and only started to have success once he got outside the pocket and got to play vs the 3rd string players. And he had way better protection all game. I watched that game and he was rarely ever under pressure. Also for the record Trey is the only QB of the 5 that were drafted in the 1st RD this year that had a TD pass vs the 1st string defense.

All the first round qbs looked good This week IMO. It's useless to compare them though because each coach probably has different things that they want to work on with their QBs the most important thing you can get from preseason is a sense that the guy belongs on the field and I think all 5 passed that this week

Wisdom.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Uh, you don't take that 5 yard check down to aiyuk there. Are you joking?

5 yard check down? He was 15 down field running free if hit in stride easy 25 yards AT LEAST. Where as you come off of him and deep guy isn't open then what?
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
That 80 yard ICBM by Trey was a thrill!

Nevertheless, here's got some work to do in the rythym of the NFL game.

People dismissively rag on JG because he lives in the short and medium passing world. That's the foundation of the WCO, and that game requires very good timing, accuracy, and touch. It's not easy.

Steve Young wasn't born there, but eventually he became a WCO machine with his array of talents.

TL will get there eventually and will be great too, because he loves the game and is putting in the work.

We prefer the instant gratification, but this one will need to play out a while.

Lots of joyous moments are coming with this team!

Good post.

Lance showed a lot last night in his first live action. I was impressed! Also showed some areas he needs to continue to work on and improve, which is expected.

Looking forward to seeing more of his talents and seeing him continue to develop!
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Ghostofabshelmet:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Everyone is playing with or against backups right now. All I'm saying is that Lance didnt impress me. I saw nothing that warranted him being taken over Fields, who does everything he does... but better and in a more polished package, battle tested and with an incomparable resume.

Just giving my take. While I love Fields, I'm a 49ers fan first and foremost. I assure you theres no bias.

Fields was horrible in the 1st half and only started to have success once he got outside the pocket and got to play vs the 3rd string players. And he had way better protection all game. I watched that game and he was rarely ever under pressure. Also for the record Trey is the only QB of the 5 that were drafted in the 1st RD this year that had a TD pass vs the 1st string defense.

All the first round qbs looked good This week IMO. It's useless to compare them though because each coach probably has different things that they want to work on with their QBs the most important thing you can get from preseason is a sense that the guy belongs on the field and I think all 5 passed that this week

Wisdom.

ya this is looking like a good QB class
Originally posted by 4thandlong:
Jimmy is safe for this season.

Shanahan says "The backup will play during the season." I have no clue in the world how that's safe.

And given Jimmy's ups and downs (even with 1st team blockers and pass catchers), I'd be worried about that prediction.

I'd say the same thing I've said for months given we probably cant get value out of a trade right now,...and that's that Jimmy is safe for game 1. Which is how it should be. Let him be the insured vehicle come day 1,....we'll protect the claim as much as we can.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Let him sit until either Jimmy gets hurt or we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. No rush at this point, especially with the OL being questionable.

Again,...Kyle's already said he's not going to sit. He's seen what he's working with in practice and decided to play him in real games. Might as well hope for something else.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
a big arm does not make a superbowl winning qb. The most worrisome thing for me was how he got rattled. He lacked pocket awareness was inaccurate and was confused. There was no poise. I'm hoping this is because Shanahan instructed him not to take off. He had 4 or so good passes. 1 great pass. The rest was horrible. He needs at least a year.. There is no way this guy starts this year, especially with a superbowl ready roster.

When did he get rattled? Kid stood in a trash pocket for most of the night. That's a crap take. He had 4 drops and two bad throws (and another one was a bad decision) . He wasn't dancing around not knowing what to do, outside of one bad throw (footwork was poop) I thought his footwork and base was great.

horrible take imo.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 15, 2021 at 9:41 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
It was a spin off of the Yankee concept. Instead of running a typical clear out for Aiyuk's crosser, Sherfield broke across the field and had a large area to work with. With Lance's big arm, that entire opposite side of the field is now in play. Now it's on film, good luck DCs.

This. Toss in more pre-snap motions and letting him actually move around…yeah this is just the beginning.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by thl408:
It was a spin off of the Yankee concept. Instead of running a typical clear out for Aiyuk's crosser, Sherfield broke across the field and had a large area to work with. With Lance's big arm, that entire opposite side of the field is now in play. Now it's on film, good luck DCs.

This. Toss in more pre-snap motions and letting him actually move around…yeah this is just the beginning.

Yeah. The plays yesterday were as vanilla as you can get.
Great points. I didn't see anything from Trey that was revealed so as to be worried at all! He was awesome given the backdrop. Here's a different angle on the TD pass:

https://youtube.com/shorts/gWTmiGoa4g0?feature=share

Go Niners!

as it stands now, Trey will benefit greatly from not having to start this year. no doubt he'll get some snaps during game days. but for now, he doesnt have to deal with the pressure of carrying a Super Bowl contender in his rookie year.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
People are seeing what they wanna see. There was good and bad same as eith any other QB. So.if you wanna focus on the good or bad thats what you'll see.

There was nothing that indicated that, if he had to start this year, that he'd be completely unable to win games. It was his first game playing in forever and he was going against NFL pros and not division 2 future business men. I didn't see anything that tells me he can't be a top 5 qb.
I think he came out very confident, firing some really accurate shots all over the field. Apart from the deep bomb, eventually Lance wasn't able to move the offense. Out of 6 or so drives, the offense stalled. What is most concerning is his lack of consistency, and how that might play out over the course of an entire game.

We know Jimmy will be there till the end. He's won a lot of games on the last drive, 4th quarter comebacks. Will Lance be a clutch QB? Is he capable of winning against superior NFL defenses? Way too early to make that judgment. It would be insane to hand over the team to Lance after one deep throw. Yes, it's exciting, but Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson can do that right back, and have been consistent for many seasons.

So my main question about Lance is can he be consistently good? That will be difficult to answer without a lot more playing time, but I did not like what I saw after his first two drives. He couldn't move the ball, took a lot of sacks and there were an awful lot of punts. Obviously, he was instructed not to take off and run. So I think Kyle wants him to develop his pocket skills because he used to run almost every other play at North Dakota. He is a hell of a runner, almost looks like a fullback in the footage. Once he can do it all at the pro level, he will be dangerous. Yesterday he looked like a rookie.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
a big arm does not make a superbowl winning qb. The most worrisome thing for me was how he got rattled. He lacked pocket awareness was inaccurate and was confused. There was no poise. I'm hoping this is because Shanahan instructed him not to take off. He had 4 or so good passes. 1 great pass. The rest was horrible. He needs at least a year.. There is no way this guy starts this year, especially with a superbowl ready roster.

When did he get rattled? Kid stood in a trash pocket for most of the night. That's a crap take. He had 4 drops and two bad throws (and another one was a bad decision) . He wasn't dancing around not knowing what to do, outside of one bad throw (footwork was poop) I thought his footwork and base was great.

horrible take imo.

Yeah, I don't get this take at all. I felt on one of the almost INTs it was about learning what's open in the NFL and the other was due to mechanics more than anything. Other than that, I like what we saw. He was trying to throw guys open and it resulted in a few timing issues and the 4 drops didn't help at all. I'm encouraged by the kid.
Originally posted by DASeiler49:
Yeah, I don't get this take at all. I felt on one of the almost INTs it was about learning what's open in the NFL and the other was due to mechanics more than anything. Other than that, I like what we saw. He was trying to throw guys open and it resulted in a few timing issues and the 4 drops didn't help at all. I'm encouraged by the kid.

Yup agreed
Share 49ersWebzone