LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 205 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by genus49:
Just goes to show you…if people want to see something that's not there then they will.

This has been the whole QB process since January to be honest. With all of the QBs

I agree, I know you were firmly against Trey at draft time, curious to hear how you feel now?

1st half I posted how my biggest issue was his accuracy and thought he answered that question.

Then came the 2nd half.

During the process I also noticed that most of his runs were designed runs and not so much escaping pressure runs. Which was totally against what most here thought he offered.

After game 1 I'm exactly where I was before the draft but obviously see the potential in him. That said, even watching live I thought the 80 yarder should have went to Aiyuk. Obviously, it worked out for us. However, if he continues to pass up the open man and my guess the #1 option on the play wanting bigger plays it will not end well for us in tbe long haul.

Fair enough, at least you acknowledge the kid's potential, I think some are sticking with their pre draft opinions.

The play was designed as a shot play, only Alex Smith would have taken Aiyuk! He sold it very well looking to his left before snapping right and throwing a strike.

The ball to Richie James was a thing of beauty as well, it's a throw no one else on the roster can make.

I understand the hesitation to crown him, I'm really not trying to, just pointing out that I believe in his work ethic and development.
Opting to take the 80 yard bomb to Sherfield instead of the underneath Aiyuk route is the reason why they spent all that draft capital on this guy.
Originally posted by ritz126:
long methodical drives arent a bad thing they make the O out of rhythm and tire out defenses and gives your D time to rest

Lol
1st half I posted how my biggest issue was his accuracy and thought he answered that question.

Then came the 2nd half.

During the process I also noticed that most of his runs were designed runs and not so much escaping pressure runs. Which was totally against what most here thought he offered.

After game 1 I'm exactly where I was before the draft but obviously see the potential in him. That said, even watching live I thought the 80 yarder should have went to Aiyuk. Obviously, it worked out for us. However, if he continues to pass up the open man and my guess the #1 option on the play wanting bigger plays it will not end well for us in tbe long haul.

My man you're living up to your name if you think him hitting an 80 yard TD is bad…

We drafted him to hit those, not take the underneath stuff. You could have a point if he threw it up into a tight window where it's a 50/50 ball vs taking the sure completion.
How did he get sacked 4 times? I've been told on here that one of the main reasons we mortgaged the future for this guy is so he could perform off script. Seems to me like he looked fine when the scripted stuff was there and absolutely shat down his leg when anything went wrong.
That was a great throw to Sherfield but like they said, that was 100% scripted and was there. If you take that away he is
4-13 for 48 yards with 4 sacks lol.
Originally posted by boast:
as it stands now, Trey will benefit greatly from not having to start this year. no doubt he'll get some snaps during game days. but for now, he doesnt have to deal with the pressure of carrying a Super Bowl contender in his rookie year.

He will benefit from not having to start game 1. After that,...as is the case every year,...we will just have to see. The team may be in a state at some point where they could use a big boost in the passing game.

Game reps like the ones he just had yesterday will do him plenty of good. As you said,...he's going to play,....so that hurdle is already out the way as far as Kyle is concerned. The incessant "starting" talk sounds more like fear than anything else. Shanahan calls the shots,...no need to obsess over whether or not he starts. If Jimmy looks like an MVP candidate it wont happen. If it's the same Jimmy we saw open last year,...the leash will be short.

Forecasting 10+ games ahead does nothing right now.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 15, 2021 at 10:47 AM ]
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
How did he get sacked 4 times? I've been told on here that one of the main reasons we mortgaged the future for this guy is so he could perform off script. Seems to me like he looked fine when the scripted stuff was there and absolutely shat down his leg when anything went wrong.
That was a great throw to Sherfield but like they said, that was 100% scripted and was there. If you take that away he is

I have no evidence at all and am just talking out of my ass. But my gut feeling is that Kyle has PTSD and asked him not to run. He is scared that Trey will tear his ACL just like when Jimmy G took off and tore it in 2018.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

I have no evidence at all and am just talking out of my ass. But my gut feeling is that Kyle has PTSD and asked him not to run. He is scared that Trey will tear his ACL just like when Jimmy G took off and tore it in 2018.

Or this is preseason, Coaching staff knows he can scramble and make plays with his legs and wants Lance to work on pure drop back passing for those moments where he can't just tuck the ball and run
[ Edited by Ghostofabshelmet on Aug 15, 2021 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by Furlow:
The play is literally designed to be a touchdown, and it was. Arguing that he should have checked down when the play worked as designed is ridiculous.

Some of our fans just want to dink & dunk down the field. They'll need to adapt to the possibility of big plays

long methodical drives arent a bad thing they make the O out of rhythm and tire out defenses and gives your D time to rest

Oh we will have them with Trey. It's just that obviously wasn't what Shanahan wanted to work on with the Rook. He already knows he's got the short game down. He's trying to develop other things.

Whereas with our other QB there are limits,... with Trey, Shanahan wants to expand the offense.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 15, 2021 at 10:54 AM ]
Originally posted by random49er:
as it stands now, Trey will benefit greatly from not having to start this year. no doubt he'll get some snaps during game days. but for now, he doesnt have to deal with the pressure of carrying a Super Bowl contender in his rookie year.

He will benefit from not having to start game 1. After that,...as is the case every year,...we will just have to see. The team may be in a state at some point where they could use a big boost in the passing game.

Game reps like the ones he just had yesterday will do him plenty of good. As you said,...he's going to play,....so that hurdle is already out the way as far as Kyle is concerned. The incessant "starting" talk sounds more like fear than anything else. Shanahan calls the shots,...no need to obsess over whether or not he starts. If Jimmy looks like an MVP candidate it wont happen. If it's the same Jimmy we saw open last year,...the leash will be short.

Forecasting 10+ games ahead does nothing right now.

i knew my post would trigger one of two posters. "fear" that's on odd definition for being pragmatic about the current QB situation.

look at you and your ifs, mays and buts.
[ Edited by boast on Aug 15, 2021 at 11:05 AM ]

I mean if you look at the routes our receivers were running, there wasn't much to dink and dunk with. Outside a few plays here and there, we were rolling out the Jimmy Ray route tree lol
i knew my post would trigger one of two posters. "fear" that's on odd definition for being pragmatic about the current QB situation.

look at you and your ifs, mays and buts.

How many full seasons does our starter have under his belt? Unless Jimmy is an MVP candidate or something, The Kid is going to start sooner than you'd want. Fear is not an option.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 15, 2021 at 11:08 AM ]
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Trey played like garbage. It's worse when viewed a second time. Two of those sacks were his fault, one for holding the ball and not sensing pressure, another in the shotgun because he kept retreating and set his left tackle up to fail.

He patted the ball a lot, and that hitch in his motion is a little worrisome. Also threw two balls that were dropped by Chiefs defenders. The blitz seemed to rattle him and overall he was wildly inconsistent and got worse as the game went on.

His best throw was the drop by James on that deep out route... really good timing throw. But he missed on about 3-4 other timing throws.

I think he ends up ironing out his kinks and proves to be a solid quarterback, but right now he's just a big, raw kid with a live arm. I didn't once feel like he was "special" out there, and considering where we drafted him, what we gave up and who we passed up I cant help but feel disappointed.

A long way to go, though.
Trey and Fields look better than all the other rookie QBs in their openers and Wilson and Lawrence were playing behind their starting olines.
How did he get sacked 4 times? I've been told on here that one of the main reasons we mortgaged the future for this guy is so he could perform off script.

Shanahan obviously wanted him to work on reps where he's forced to pass from the pocket. He didn't want him darting around off script. He wanted things to be harder so he has more he can correct as they sit and go over film. Since it's practice, it only makes sense.

Expect more mobility when needed during real games. Did your Patriots' Mac jersey get delivered yet, btw?

Lol

"If you take away a play he made!"

Ok, and if the 4 drops weren't drops, drives get extended, etc.
Share 49ersWebzone