LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Not really surprised of inconsistent play tbh. First live snaps in 10 months - 2nd game in 1 year 8 months - playing behind horrible OL - on a team where he is still learning the tendencies and speeds of the receivers. I believe we will see drastic improvement by the 3rd preseason game.

Overall - I think it's easy to see how explosive he can be. It was a pretty decent outing. Took chances - forced some issues - didn't have a lot of time - made a few mistakes - but talent jumped out. We have a special guy on our team. Gonna be a great first year.

The two throws to James were great throws. Gotta come down with those. Liked those two the most. Couple of throws - which were laterals basically - were also impressive. Those are sometimes difficult for a rookie as any inaccuracy can lead to potential fumble. He threw those with lot of confidence.
[ Edited by 4ML on Aug 15, 2021 at 11:54 AM ]
The throws Trey needs to tighten up on are those middle of the field tight window throws and crossing routes that Jimmy makes his money on. If he can get those polished then sky is the limit for the young man.
Originally posted by JMC52:
People forget Trey has not played in a football game in about 400 days, chill daddy's.

lol this. Last real game he played was in Jan. 2020. Not surprised we saw some inconsistencies. Flashed his potential and that's all I really wanted to see. You can tell 49ers are going to be explosive with him.
Originally posted by 4ML:
Not really surprised of inconsistent play tbh. First live snaps in 10 months - 2nd game in 1 year 8 months - playing behind horrible OL - on a team where he is still learning the tendencies and speeds of the receivers. I believe we will see drastic improvement by the 3rd preseason game.

Overall - I think it's easy to see how explosive he can be. It was a pretty decent outing. Took chances - forced some issues - didn't have a lot of time - made a few mistakes - but talent jumped out. We have a special guy on our team. Gonna be a great first year.

The two throws to James were great throws. Gotta come down with those. Liked those two the most. Couple of throws - which were laterals basically - were also impressive. Those are sometimes difficult for a rookie as any inaccuracy can lead to potential fumble. He threw those with lot of confidence.

Agree, what doesn't get talked about that is really impressive was that quick horizontal pass to Jauan Jennings that is used frequently in this offense during specific game plans (game 1 vs Rams last year for example). In his college tape it seemed Trey struggled a bit on the accuracy there (his receivers also had butterfingers) but he threw that one like a seasoned vet.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
How did he get sacked 4 times? I've been told on here that one of the main reasons we mortgaged the future for this guy is so he could perform off script. Seems to me like he looked fine when the scripted stuff was there and absolutely shat down his leg when anything went wrong.
That was a great throw to Sherfield but like they said, that was 100% scripted and was there. If you take that away he is
4-13 for 48 yards with 4 sacks lol.

Lol

"If you take away a play he made!"

Ok, and if the 4 drops weren't drops, drives get extended, etc.

Sounds like someone doesn't like the fact that with one throw, Lance got the same amount of yards as another guys entire game that took 13 completions.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Furlow:
The two out routes that were dropped (Cracraft and James) were two of the best throws I've seen from a 49ers QB in a long time. That type of arm strength and accuracy is elite. Obviously the deep TD throw was the "highlight" of the game, but those two out routes are money makers. Particularly the one to Cracraft, because it was from the hash to the opposite side of the field, outside the numbers. No DB in the league can cover that.

Agreed

Yep, the ball to James was a perfect throw. It could not have been better placed, so of course James drops it.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Yep, the ball to James was a perfect throw. It could not have been better placed, so of course James drops it.

same with aiyuk
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
He looked good yesterday, would've had better numbers if it weren't for bad drops and the backup OLine playing like complete s**t.

Yeah, the OL was complete trash for the most part. The receivers did him no favours either with those drops. He does look promising though.

Go, Trey, go!

Yeah I can see why you guys liked him so much now, I still think Jimmy should start, but idk how long hes going to be able keep Trey on the sidelines
Originally posted by JMC52:
People forget Trey has not played in a football game in about 400 days, chill daddy's.

Yup good point. And this was the toughest defense he ever faced. It was a good learning lesson
Pretty impressed with not only the arm strength, accuracy, etc. but what stood out the most to me was Trey didn't seem to get rattled or try to do too much in third and long situations or starting at their own one yard line. I'm looking forward to his development and what he'll become in a couple of years,

I watched all the rookie 1st rnd QB's for at least their first few series. Of those I thought they all played pretty similarly. Fields looked the best, but also had the most starters and I watched him the longest. If it would have been based on just his 1st few series he'd have looked the worst, but he was able to settle in and as the time went on the better he looked. I thought by far that Lance had the worst team play around him in his debut. The Oline, the WR's, and the running game did him no favors on any series but the big bomb.

We all saw the game and anyone going in with reasonable expectations got about what they expected. There is a noticeable difference the way the balls comes off Trey hand. It's got more pop and he seems to have more degrees of touch that he employs than JG does. JG still has better accuracy and release. You can see the difference in the young buck and the aged vet also. Lance looks for the big play more often. Jimmy is more looking to get the ball quickly into the receivers hands so is more ok with shorter throws. I think the difference in styles is going to be difficult to game plan against, and I think that Jimmy is going to be a very good vet to learn from this year. They seem to get along well.
[ Edited by WINiner on Aug 15, 2021 at 12:36 PM ]
How did he get sacked 4 times? I've been told on here that one of the main reasons we mortgaged the future for this guy is so he could perform off script. Seems to me like he looked fine when the scripted stuff was there and absolutely shat down his leg when anything went wrong.
That was a great throw to Sherfield but like they said, that was 100% scripted and was there. If you take that away he is

If you take away all the completions, TD's and wins Russell Wilson is not a very good QB. You have to just measure incompletions, interceptions and losses.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Here is Mahomes' first ever preseason game for reference

Interesting, this film is more reminiscent of Wilson's film from yesterday than Trey's. For both Wilson and Mahomes, it seems the playcalling allowed for more checkdowns and underneath stuff that you will typically see in a live regular season game. In Trey's case, the offense was mostly very vanilla and he was up against a much more aggressive defense than you typically see in the preseason.

It's a little early to do the Mahomes comparison, but it kinda looks like Trey is a different type of QB. Mahomes/Wilson look to play a bit looser and are more "free spirited" in that they don't mind going off schedule sooner than later. Whereas Trey seems to really want to execute within the confines of the offense unless everything absolutely breaks down. I don't think either way is better than the other, there's pros/cons to each approach. Given his style based on this performance, I would say Trey reminds me more of a young Steve Young than I thought he would, and that is pretty exciting.

Agreed, he just needs more time to adjust to the nfl. Good thing we have Jimmy to start the season.

Why would you take that away, but not the 3 drops? Oh yeah because you love Mac Jones.

Anyone with any football nous whatsoever can see that he was instructed to stay in the pocket. Kyle was either trying to challenge him (more likely) or didn't want tape of his athleticism out there.

Like many have pointed out we've only seen it vs insurance salesman, Kyle probably doesn't want the league to know for sure that he can do it in the NFL.
Originally posted by WINiner:
I watched all the rookie 1st rnd QB's for at least their first few series. Of those I thought they all played pretty similarly. Fields looked the best, but also had the most starters and I watched him the longest. If it would have been based on just his 1st few series he'd have looked the worst, but he was able to settle in and as the time went on the better he looked. I thought by far that Lance had the worst team play around him in his debut. The Oline, the WR's, and the running game did him no favors on any series but the big bomb.

We all saw the game and anyone going in with reasonable expectations got about what they expected. There is a noticeable difference the way the balls comes off Trey hand. It's got more pop and he seems to have more degrees of touch that he employs than JG does. JG still has better accuracy and release. You can see the difference in the young buck and the aged vet also. Lance looks for the big play more often. Jimmy is more looking to get the ball quickly into the receivers hands so is more ok with shorter throws. I think the difference in styles is going to be difficult to game plan against, and I think that Jimmy is going to be a very good vet to learn from this year. They seem to get along well.

Well said.
Share 49ersWebzone