LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by frenchmov:
On the drop by aiyuk, are people ignoring lance got away from pressure and threw a strike for what should have been a big gain?

Seems like the "gotcha!" folks are expecting a 21 year old rookie to be a finished product in his first preseason game

Yeah, off script plays are something the receivers are going to have to learn as well. We already saw a few examples last night of that. That'll come with experience and timing together.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
So it took Trey Lance getting beat up for the fanbase to realize Jimmy Garoppolo wasn't the problem?

We have multiple problems. We allow too much pressure, especially up the middle. Our QBs (whoever is playing), appear to have some blinders in the middle of the field and we routinely throw into danger. With one exception, we saw Lance play the Jimmy-style offense. Shanahan routinely makes some bizarre judgment calls.

Our single biggest need is a starting RG, which we don't appear to have.

You got me thinking. Kyle's seen this before and adjusted to a mere negative passing game to compensate. Lots of fly sweeps, WR screens behind the LOS, etc. We saw some of that last night esp. with Jennings.

So if the starting unit isn't looking too hot either, I wonder how much the pass protection will factor into if/when Kyle will start Lance. Because the flip side is with Lance, he has more move-the-pocket options, rollouts, keepers, etc.

Both QBs do some good things against the pass rush. Jimmy is more decisive as of now, and his quick release. And then like you mentioned about Lance.

Interior OL is a problem no matter who is the QB. Hopefully Mack can help out there.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
I don't get how that wasn't roughing. They both hit Trey late. The guy in the back is more inadvertent, but the guy in front launches himself into Trey after the ball has already left his hand.

The only time I see officials call those things on mobile QB's is in the open field on slides. They SEEM to be more fair game.

Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
So it took Trey Lance getting beat up for the fanbase to realize Jimmy Garoppolo wasn't the problem?

We have multiple problems. We allow too much pressure, especially up the middle. Our QBs (whoever is playing), appear to have some blinders in the middle of the field and we routinely throw into danger. With one exception, we saw Lance play the Jimmy-style offense. Shanahan routinely makes some bizarre judgment calls.

Our single biggest need is a starting RG, which we don't appear to have.

You got me thinking. Kyle's seen this before and adjusted to a mere negative passing game to compensate. Lots of fly sweeps, WR screens behind the LOS, etc. We saw some of that last night esp. with Jennings.

So if the starting unit isn't looking too hot either, I wonder how much the pass protection will factor into if/when Kyle will start Lance. Because the flip side is with Lance, he has more move-the-pocket options, rollouts, keepers, etc.

Both QBs do some good things against the pass rush. Jimmy is more decisive as of now, and his quick release. And then like you mentioned about Lance.

Interior OL is a problem no matter who is the QB. Hopefully Mack can help out there.

Well that's certainly true...just trying to envision how Kyle might view it on when he makes that decision to move to Lance; what kinds of factors like the spotty pass protection especially up the middle, like you said.
All that said, I can't wait to see Lance with the 1's and a full rehearsed game script. He's going to come out hot!
The only time I see officials call those things on mobile QB's is in the open field on slides. They SEEM to be more fair game.

Agreed. Outside the pocket and moving, you ain't getting that launching call. That goes for basically every QB, it's not just bc it was a rookie. Mahomes got f**king mauled in the sb with several brutal hits that weren't called
Oh well, I think we can all agree that there's more to come.

We saw what it was like in practice, first few were efficient and from the pocket. After that he started to run around and even Ryans commented on how much of a difference it made.

The future is bright.
Originally posted by Heroism:

Imagine if this had happened to Mahones, no doubt we'd see a flag thrown.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Except it did in the SB

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Besides that being a beautiful pass, I mainly learned that Sherfeld deserves a closer look.

i mean hes been a near lock to make the team since tc began

i was yelling for a flag
All that said, I can't wait to see Lance with the 1's and a full rehearsed game script. He's going to come out hot!

Agreed. Kid has IT for sure, just needs time with the 1's & it will be very exciting to see
Originally posted by frenchmov:
On the drop by aiyuk, are people ignoring lance got away from pressure and threw a strike for what should have been a big gain?

Seems like the "gotcha!" folks are expecting a 21 year old rookie to be a finished product in his first preseason game

no one is ignoring that
I held my breath on this one. These high-low hits typically don't end well.

Yeah. Some nervous times watching him take some of those hits yesterday.

Refs need to throw those flags on those plays for sure for all QB's in NFL
Share 49ersWebzone