LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Let's just be thankful that there is no such thing as a backup Oline in the regular season. In the regular season the Oline starters take all the reps unless an injury occurs.It's not like the Dline where depth is important.

So depth on the offensive line isnt important? Interesting

i get what he means in a perfect world that we have no injuries on the OL the starting 5 should see 95% of all offensive snaps

The only backups I can see making the teams are Banks, Moore and Mckivitz.
Laken and Mack are overall pretty durable players.
Trent Williams and Mike have had their injuries.
Remember that time in 2019 when the starting OT were Skule and Brunskill? The team went undefeated in that span but still was scary.
Brunskill is the weakest link but he's better than Mike Person and Ben Garland. I don't know what kind of magic drink he gets when he faces Aaron Donald but has to do the same every game.
Lets just hope no injuries happen because at the moment I wouldn't be comfortable with any of those 3 starting for the moment.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Kyle still doesn't understand pass protection.

Kyle doesn't understand pass protection? Lol. You should be an assistant hc so you could teach Kyle a thing or two
Rewatched his throws and I'm excited about what he can do once he starts trusting his eyes and playing faster. 2 of the sacks he had wide open guys but I think he didn't trust what was in front of him and peaked at the pass rush. These are all correctable things.
Liked what I saw a lot. There were times he had way open field in front of him to take off, but Kyle had him on a leash to see his passing and not get injured. Will be real exciting when the leash is off.
Originally posted by krizay:
Not sure if this has been posted.

We really doing these grades....for preseason?......LOL
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Liked what I saw a lot. There were times he had way open field in front of him to take off, but Kyle had him on a leash to see his passing and not get injured. Will be real exciting when the leash is off.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing but did Kyle say this anywhere or are we just speculating that Lance was told not to run
Originally posted by Shifty:
Originally posted by JimA49ers:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing but did Kyle say this anywhere or are we just speculating that Lance was told not to run

Speculation. But the fact he gained 0 yards after all report from camp make is very conspicuous. Seems unlikely that Lance would limit that part of his game deliberately on his own.
Originally posted by elguapo:
You would not be wrong about that criticism at all. We also have to consider he has always had good receivers and now he has elite receivers, and he still has periods where he plays poorly every single year. There's a reason he's never been the MVP. He has some very very good games and then he absolutely disappears five or six games every year. Inexcusable in my opinion. But then again that's why he deserves never to be MVP let alone get a single vote.

Who was talking MVP though? You forced it into the conversation,....lol. He's been a damn good QB and you know it. You just,...obviously prefer a certain type of QB that's not Russ' style.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 15, 2021 at 11:11 PM ]
Bummer.

Right now the plan is to make sure Garoppolo is ready to start the season with the Super Bowl as the goal. Lance showed he has many things to work on before he will be ready. Until more of those things are resolved to Kyle's satisfaction, JG will continue to be the man.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Lol
Just Goes to show you who puts the blinders on and when.

also nice to see "some" common sense posts again after the first preseason game.. went from get rid of jimmy cause Trey can do the exact same things better then jimmy tooooo…. Well he's a rookie and he's got some work to do!!
lmafao!!

It went from "get rid of jimmy cause Trey can do the exact same things" to "damn, wait,...his contract sucks."

Been that way since OTAs and hasnt moved an inch since.

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Bummer.

Right now the plan is to make sure Garoppolo is ready to start the season with the Super Bowl as the goal. Lance showed he has many things to work on before he will be ready. Until more of those things are resolved to Kyle's satisfaction, JG will continue to be the man.

Honestly what Lombardi said is exactly what I expected this year. We will see Jimmy start, Lance will come in for specific plays in specific situations. I also expect him to play if we are blowing a team out or (hopefully not) getting blown out.

Lance will be the full time starter in 2022 for sure though.
LOL. OK, they were rated 32 out of 32 in a pre season game instead of 26th for a full real season.

The OLine will never be the reason why Jimmy can't test deep down the hashes.

Screaming "OLine OLine OLine!!!" to everyone incessantly doesn't somehow make Jimmy a playmaking QB.

People want to blame it on his ACL,...but I've posted in this thread the same exact thing NE was waiting to get back to their offense once Brady came back: testing the deeper ends of the field. Jimmy served well and looked good/serviceable for sure.

But his skills are limited, regardless of the OLine. Hence, the 3 1st rounders for Trey.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Kyle has to know what he has on the OL…but that comes with RISK…and here it was…fortunately, he was okay but when kyle goes thru the film with a microscope, this one is going to give him heartburn at least and an ulcer at worst. Also, Trey has got to learn more awareness of life and limb danger. Without that, his longevity as QB will end up being very short.

I think you can clearly tell the orders were to stick to the script and not take off. The issue is that they were bad orders given the weakness of the OL. That's on the coach this round if the QB's simply following his marching orders,...not on Trey.

He's going to need more time with 1st teamers if Shanahan really wants him to get more experience and tape while in the pocket.
Honestly what Lombardi said is exactly what I expected this year. We will see Jimmy start, Lance will come in for specific plays in specific situations. I also expect him to play if we are blowing a team out or (hopefully not) getting blown out.

Here's the key, though: How will Jimmy play?

His projected play is kind of talked about here like he will instantly revert to his midseason 2019 form. I have no idea why that is because he certainly had a number of underwhelming games on tape even during that year.

Yeah,...he looks better this year than last year thus far,...but last year's tape > this year's practices until it's game 1 and he proves otherwise.

Add in the fact that Jimmy's only completed 1 full season,.....and Lance may have no choice but to be a starter much earlier than 2022. The odds really do favor it.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 15, 2021 at 11:16 PM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:

Here's the key, though: How will Jimmy play?

His projected play is kind of talked about here like he will instantly revert to his midseason 2019 form. I have no idea why that is because he certainly had a number of underwhelming games on tape even during that year.

Yeah,...he looks better this year than last year thus far,...but last year's tape > this year's practices until it's game 1 and he proves otherwise.

Add in the fact that Jimmy's only completed 1 full season,.....and Lance may have no choice but to be a starter much earlier than 2022. The odds really do favor it.

I am definitely assuming a couple of things, 1 that Jimmy will play 17+ games and 2 that he will revert to his 2019 form. I do however think this offense as it stands now is better (on paper at least) than that offense in 2019. I also wonder how much his injury held him back last year. Honestly last year is so hard to judge with so many guys in and out of the lineup every week.

Of course if Jimmy gets hurt Lance plays and I think Kyle will adjust accordingly. I have faith that if we don't suffer the same level of catastrophic injuries as last year that we are in very good shape to make a deep playoff and Super Bowl run
Share 49ersWebzone