LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Originally posted by krizay:
Not sure if this has been posted.

We really doing these grades....for preseason?......LOL

Trey was alright and will only get better. That bomb TD though was a thing of beauty.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Trey was alright and will only get better. That bomb TD though was a thing of beauty.

was definitely exciting!
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by krizay:
I just posted the tweet. I didn't come up with the grades.

All that said, heard for months how one guy in particular needed a perfect situation and Trey didn't. After one preseason game all I'm hearing is how Trey didn't have a perfect situation.

Every worthy analysts has said Trey is in a perfect situation. Only the haters who got a pie in the face about who the niners would take and still fuming would say otherwise

I 100% believe he is in the best situation possible….however, I just don't think he is going to be good.

Blah blah blah, I really want to bet you regarding his career, but not sure I can frame it in a way that makes sense.

I can only remember all this and remind you how wrong you've been.

Regard the QB rating, we saw the drops with our own eyes, not only do the numbers then change, but the chains move and the drives he had rhythm and momentum stay alive.

Also just wait until he's playing with his trump card that was so evidently taken away.

I've now seen all of the rookie performances, I'm still convinced we've made the right decision.

Mac looked the closest to what he's likely to be, all quick easy efficient passes, it's fine but not special.

Zach mostly quick game and I thought was very average.

Fields looked decent, but a lot of poor throws and he was allowed to run.

Lawrence made one good pass, the rest was short and average.

Not worried in the slightest.
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. OK, they were rated 32 out of 32 in a pre season game instead of 26th for a full real season.

The OLine will never be the reason why Jimmy can't test deep down the hashes.

Screaming "OLine OLine OLine!!!" to everyone incessantly doesn't somehow make Jimmy a playmaking QB.

People want to blame it on his ACL,...but I've posted in this thread the same exact thing NE was waiting to get back to their offense once Brady came back: testing the deeper ends of the field. Jimmy served well and looked good/serviceable for sure.

But his skills are limited, regardless of the OLine. Hence, the 3 1st rounders for Trey.

Literally, nobody was talking about Garoppolo. Nor was that anywhere near the point.

Here's the point: mobile or classic drop back QB's equally need quality pass protection to succeed. That's been proven time and time again. No QB is going to transcend poor pass protection. Fans are caring more about this long-standing pass protection issue because a QB they like is now under C and being affected by it already. Many before, the game was even played, were already pivoting to it as a built in pre-excuse in case Trey didn't play well.

4 sacks, numerous big hits and pressures and poor rushed/inaccurate passing results in just a little over 1/2 of play. Mobile QB.

If you're a 49er fan, the pass protection concerns should be at the forefront as a shared concern right now no matter the QB. It's a big concern and could affect when and if Lance starts and how he plays going forward.

A rookie QB especially needs quality and consistent play in front of him or he'll turn into Blaine Gabbert...develop lots of poor habits.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 16, 2021 at 7:45 AM ]
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Kyle still doesn't understand pass protection.

Kyle doesn't understand pass protection? Lol. You should be an assistant hc so you could teach Kyle a thing or two

Me? Brandon is the expert. I was just pointing out the discrepancy. Kyle was a WR in college. OL play probably isn't his forte.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Trey with a better supporting cast will be fine.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Bloody oath mate. That 80 yard rocket was all I needed to see. Trey is going to kick arse. Can you imagine the plays Kyle is going to dial up for this kid once he settles into a groove.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bewdynewkJH38:

Bloody oath mate. That 80 yard rocket was all I needed to see. Trey is going to kick arse. Can you imagine the plays Kyle is going to dial up for this kid once he settles into a groove.

The dropped passes, too were right on the money. I'm not concerned, just concerned he's going to get hurt behind that #2 unit.

The dropped passes, too were right on the money. I'm not concerned, just concerned he's going to get hurt behind that #2 unit.

One Passeth dose nottus makus the quarter backus

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Goatie:

One Passeth dose nottus makus the quarter backus

No, but we know he has it in him.
Trey is 20 and a 1 year starter from NDSU. There is a significant learning curve and he is best sitting behind Jimmy for the year. It's nice to see the big play potential though right away.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Trey is 20 and a 1 year starter from NDSU. There is a significant learning curve and he is best sitting behind Jimmy for the year. It's nice to see the big play potential though right away.

Well he's 21 and it's too early to decide what's best for his development.

Also his college experience keeps getting quoted, but it really doesn't matter, either he's ready to play or he isn't.

The rate he seems to learn at, combined with his natural talent suggest to me that he can overcome this significant learning curve you suggest.
Kyle had Jimiiiii Rayyyeeee up in the box calling plays for Trey.😆
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Kyle still doesn't understand pass protection.

Kyle doesn't understand pass protection? Lol. You should be an assistant hc so you could teach Kyle a thing or two

Me? Brandon is the expert. I was just pointing out the discrepancy. Kyle was a WR in college. OL play probably isn't his forte.

I think it's more of not throwing the oline or Trey under the bus than it is him not knowing how pass protection works. Brandon also doesn't know the protection call there. Maybe the OT and Lance were expecting the back to help outside on the DE. It sure looked that way seeing how the OT doesn't seem to care that he's immediately beaten to the outside. (Though that could also be because he expected Lance to be higher up in the pocket)
Share 49ersWebzone