LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Trey is 20 and a 1 year starter from NDSU. There is a significant learning curve and he is best sitting behind Jimmy for the year. It's nice to see the big play potential though right away.

Well he's 21 and it's too early to decide what's best for his development.

Also his college experience keeps getting quoted, but it really doesn't matter, either he's ready to play or he isn't.

The rate he seems to learn at, combined with his natural talent suggest to me that he can overcome this significant learning curve you suggest.

The whole sitting for a year will make him better vs actually playing football is such a lazy take imo.

kid needs to play football to get better at football.
You'd think now his 1st game is out of the way he'll probably improve in the next one, nerves should be gone and will go into it knowing what to expect.

There was some good stuff and some not so good stuff and that's okay and to be expected.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
The whole sitting for a year will make him better vs actually playing football is such a lazy take imo.

Mahomes threw 35 passes his rookie season and 5k yards and 50 TDs in year two. I don't see Trey sitting for a season as a hindrance, considering he is likely to see more than 35 passes. And before you go with the "Mahomes admitted he couldn't read a defense until 2020" argument, I'm not so sure Lance is that far ahead in that regard based on some of those sacks and near picks in game 1.
Originally posted by TownNiner:
You'd think now his 1st game is out of the way he'll probably improve in the next one, nerves should be gone and will go into it knowing what to expect.

There was some good stuff and some not so good stuff and that's okay and to be expected.

Agreed. He should definitely Improve with more playing time... Shanny should seriously consider allowing him the opportunity to play with the 1s. With a chance of competing for the week 1 starters gig.
I think the fact that he was clearly instructed not to run hasn't been given the consideration it deserves.

It's like telling Jimmy that he has to slow his release down.

We'll see what happens when Trey is given his trump card back.
I think the fact that he was clearly instructed not to run hasn't been given the consideration it deserves.

It's like telling Jimmy that he has to slow his release down.

We'll see what happens when Trey is given his trump card back.

Don't think that that is a good analogy. Dude is a failure 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Also his college experience keeps getting quoted, but it really doesn't matter, either he's ready to play or he isn't.

The rate he seems to learn at, combined with his natural talent suggest to me that he can overcome this significant learning curve you suggest.

When the team kept Jimmy around that's a dead giveaway that they always intended him to sit the year. Unless he gets hurt it's not happening this year.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I'd say it's more that the team has no interest in putting up with growing pains when we're a possible SB contender. If we had a sh team and could go 6-10 yeah I'd agree but with expectations it's see ya next year when you're a year more mature and we have to split from Jimmy.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 16, 2021 at 6:10 AM ]
As somebody who has fairly consistently defended or at least not buried Jimmy on here, I'll at this point just be glad when for better or worse(hopefully better) that Trey takes over. Simply because I'm tired of the media's and talking heads and website's antics of "Trey should start or Trey might win the starting job." I saw a clip on Facebook about him throwing from out of the end zone with a comment "Just name him the starter already!", and I'm expecting to see one of the greatest most beautiful down field bombs I've ever seen. Then it winds up being a regular maybe 10-15 yard pass to Woerner. Then I see 5-14 passing, yes 3 or 4 drops but also 2 or 3 passes that were nearly or could have been intercepted. I also see Jimmy looked pretty flawless. Yes, he was put in a better situation and out there less. But again everyone hyping up Trey, and I hope he winds up being great, even when the results weren't so great. If those people determined and dictated everything, and thankfully they don't, it's getting to the point where if he doesn't look like or play like he somehow as a younger player taught Mahomes everything he ever learned, than he'll be one of the biggest draft busts of all time. That's how much they're pushing and blowing him up. Meanwhile if Jimmy throws a pick or two in practice it's must reporting for the Cohn's of the world.

I suspect, like most here probably do, that Jimmy ,health providing, will be the starter most if not all of the year and will be fine- at least as good as in 2019 if not better. And hopefully Trey will be better than that when his time comes. But for crying out loud let things develop naturally.

But then, that doesn't get people talking or get clicks.
[ Edited by OhioNiner on Aug 16, 2021 at 6:15 AM ]

When the team kept Jimmy around that's a dead giveaway that they always intended him to sit the year. Unless he gets hurt it's not happening this year.

Well his salary isn't guaranteed until week 1 so they haven't "kept him around" yet.

Plus they need to come to the belief that Trey won't sh*t the bed.

Also moving Jimmy isn't that easy, his trade value has never been lower, so whatever we do it's a sunk cost. Paying his salary this year, might actually get us a decent return later, and it gives us an excellent insurance policy at worst.

I don't think we can read into it, not yet anyway.

I need to see Trey convert a third down before I hand him the starting gig.

It's more about the 49ers not receiving a serious offer than anything....If the Niners had received a 2nd round pick for example, no doubt he'd be gone by now.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Agreed. He should definitely Improve with more playing time... Shanny should seriously consider allowing him the opportunity to play with the 1s. With a chance of competing for the week 1 starters gig.

Let it go.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Let it go.

Never....
Lance rushed for 1000 yards his final full season at a lower level college. Going to take him a while to get smoothly apply a complicated NFL system.

Lance needs all the preseason reps he can get.
Share 49ersWebzone