LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 199 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
But my evaluation of his play Saturday:

1. Late on throws
2. Seeing it then throwing it
3. Pocket awareness was weak. Didn't feels the sack coming.

Kind of like Alex Smith his rookie year.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Well his salary isn't guaranteed until week 1 so they haven't "kept him around" yet.

Plus they need to come to the belief that Trey won't sh*t the bed.

Also moving Jimmy isn't that easy, his trade value has never been lower, so whatever we do it's a sunk cost. Paying his salary this year, might actually get us a decent return later, and it gives us an excellent insurance policy at worst.

I don't think we can read into it, not yet anyway.

They're not cutting him. There's been no suggestions at all of that possibility.

I agree on the trade value not being ideal but you don't keep and play a qb to improve their trade value. He was kept because we felt it was best to bridge the rook a year. Unless Jimmy sh*ts the bed or gets hurt that won't change.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 16, 2021 at 7:07 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
The whole sitting for a year will make him better vs actually playing football is such a lazy take imo.

kid needs to play football to get better at football.

I think Jimmy starts the season and continues if healthy or until Lance makes Kyle think otherwise. Hard to imagine when that might be tho. I say this with the idea of JG gives the team the best chance to win vs Lances development etc.

I actually would like to see him play behind the starting o-line at least.I think Lance should get as much time as possible with the 1s now.
The whole sitting for a year will make him better vs actually playing football is such a lazy take imo.

Kyle wants to win. He isn't going to sacrifice many wins this year for development IMO.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

Kyle wants to win. He isn't going to sacrifice many wins this year for development IMO.

I disagree. He needs to make the playoffs (which I think he can do with either QB, our roster is very good). But he staked his career on Lance. If they're marginal but Lance still has huge promise, Lynch and Shanahan's jobs will be safe.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
When the team kept Jimmy around that's a dead giveaway that they always intended him to sit the year. Unless he gets hurt it's not happening this year.

It's more about the 49ers not receiving a serious offer than anything....If the Niners had received a 2nd round pick for example, no doubt he'd be gone by now.

It's easy to say that though and while it's all opinion, I don't think that's remotely a guarantee.

Maybe if that and they would have gotten Stafford or packaged Jimmy in the trade for Stafford.

I just really with the way things are going with Lance and the way Kyle probably is don't think the plan ever was "Dump Jimmy if we get a good enough offer and roll with a rookie draft pick."

Not with this roster presuming everyone, or the key everyone's stay reasonably healthy.

I know people's counter is, "He did it with RG3". Well, they didn't have our overall roster and his dad and he did it with RG3. And the only veteran QB they had who was remotely a starter was Rex Grossman. So it really wasn't all that close to the same.
[ Edited by OhioNiner on Aug 16, 2021 at 7:20 AM ]
I'm sure this has already been posted so my apologies but a good article on Trey's situation.

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article253514349.html

This is why I was telling people to wait and see Trey in a game first. The talent is clear but he's a young rookie making a big jump in competition. There are clearly things he has to work on and game situations will test you a lot more than practice where the adrenaline isn't as high and you know you can't get hit by the defense.

Overall I was impressed by Trey. I think the issues he showed are easily fixable with time and experience and we've seen that Trey is willing to put in the work.

In terms of who starts week 1...there is still a good amount of time for Trey to make his push. I know Kyle is pushing Jimmy is our starter narrative hard but if Trey shows he can correct his mistakes in the next two games I think Kyle may realize some rookie mistakes with the big play potential may be worth the switch.

We'll see how it goes but I'm excited about our future with Trey.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

I disagree. He needs to make the playoffs (which I think he can do with either QB, our roster is very good). But he staked his career on Lance. If they're marginal but Lance still has huge promise, Lynch and Shanahan's jobs will be safe.

I agree with the playoffs, that's "Winning" by my standards. He doesn't want a losing season.
Why do you think the Chiefs kept Alex Smith and sat Mahomes for a year?
It wasn't because Mahomes wasn't ready to take over, because most likely he was, perhaps not yet at an MVP level.
They did to boost Alex Smith trade value. At that point Alex Smith was just an average QB known for his choke art in playoffs. In 2017 Alex had a career year, when Tyreek Hill broke out and they drafted Kareem Hunt. This helped them to trade away Smith in January for a third rounder and a defensive starter.

To me, that seems to be the plan here with Jimmy G. If they can get a career year from him and compete in the playoffs, Jimmy trade value will increase. If you start Lance because fans and media are crying for it, not good.

This is a lazy take

Obviously in a vacuum a player will get better at football by playing football

This teams situation is a super bowl ready roster able to win now with a proven veteran that has gotten them there before. Would the rookies development remain stagnant through the entire season sitting behind the veteran through the season? Pretty sure he would be gaining a little through practice, studying and watching

Originally posted by Joecool:

1. Late on throws

Originally posted by mayo49:
Trey with a better supporting cast will be fine.

So you're saying he needs a perfect situation to be successful? interesting!
Originally posted by Joecool:

1. Late on throws

I wish there were more thought provoking discussions surrounding 49ers football, and less trolling around here

I wasn't a fan of drafting Trey Lance, but this take sucks
[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Aug 16, 2021 at 7:50 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

I agree with the playoffs, that's "Winning" by my standards. He doesn't want a losing season.

I'm kinda in the superbowl or bust camp, I don't think the season will be a success by just making the playoffs. I think (barring injuries) this team has moved beyond just making the playoffs
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Kyle still doesn't understand pass protection.

Kyle doesn't understand pass protection? Lol. You should be an assistant hc so you could teach Kyle a thing or two

Me? Brandon is the expert. I was just pointing out the discrepancy. Kyle was a WR in college. OL play probably isn't his forte.

I think it's more of not throwing the oline or Trey under the bus than it is him not knowing how pass protection works. Brandon also doesn't know the protection call there. Maybe the OT and Lance were expecting the back to help outside on the DE. It sure looked that way seeing how the OT doesn't seem to care that he's immediately beaten to the outside. (Though that could also be because he expected Lance to be higher up in the pocket)

That's very possible. I'm kind of looking at the collective evidence (draft capital, 125 hits a year, bottom tier in PP, lower standards compared to run blocking, etc) and not the possible coach-speak. I can't remember if it was Eric Davis or Ian Williams who on a pod, said the pass protection standards were very low and there didn't seem to be a lot of accountability in that OL room..
Share 49ersWebzone