There are 192 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Our clueless fans didn't even notice how limited the playbook was for Lance, I guess Shanahan told him what he had to try on Saturday. Lance didn't try to extend plays or get out of the pocket once it collapses, he didn't scramble once. He sat there and tried to make big completions on every throw, didn't go for an easy play on any single snap.
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
I wish there were more thought provoking discussions surrounding 49ers football, and less trolling around here

I wasn't a fan of drafting Trey Lance, but this take sucks

His take isn't entirely false. I think he was fine when he played in rhythm or forced outside the pocket. When he had to shuffle within the pocket is when things looked like poop on a stick. If he takes what's there instead of trying to make a play I think the sky could really be the limit for him. Which alot of what Jcool said is true. Yes there were some damn good passes in there to start but it got ugly.
Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
The whole sitting for a year will make him better vs actually playing football is such a lazy take imo.

kid needs to play football to get better at football.

Kyle wants to win. He isn't going to sacrifice many wins this year for development IMO.

I disagree. He needs to make the playoffs (which I think he can do with either QB, our roster is very good). But he staked his career on Lance. If they're marginal but Lance still has huge promise, Lynch and Shanahan's jobs will be safe.

I agree with the playoffs, that's "Winning" by my standards. He doesn't want a losing season.

I'm kinda in the superbowl or bust camp, I don't think the season will be a success by just making the playoffs. I think (barring injuries) this team has moved beyond just making the playoffs

When you have a bridge average QB and a rookie learning to play in the pros, going to the playoffs is a big win.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Trey with a better supporting cast will be fine.

So you're saying he needs a perfect situation to be successful? interesting!

No, better supporting cast then what he had Saturday. He'll perform better behind our one's, obviously.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 16, 2021 at 8:00 AM ]
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Our clueless fans didn't even notice how limited the playbook was for Lance, I guess Shanahan told him what he had to try on Saturday. Lance didn't try to extend plays or get out of the pocket once it collapses, he didn't scramble once. He sat there and tried to make big completions on every throw, didn't go for an easy play on any single snap.

You think this is a good thing? Are you part of the clueless fan base in which you speak?

No, better supporting cast then what he had Saturday.

Which means not a backup OL and WR who doesn't drop the ball.

You think this is a good thing? Are you part of the clueless fan base in which you speak?

Well it's preseason so he just tried to do the difficult stuff considering the result of the game doesn't even matter. He could've gone Jimmy G mode and just roll out, complete the checkdown and let the guys get YAC, but he used this chance to try something more. I hope it's not difficult to understand.

This ^^. It's hard to find any kind of rhythm when the receivers kept dropping passes. Those kind of mistakes puts the QB In a bad situation... The entire Offense needs to find some consistency for next week.
No, better supporting cast then what he had Saturday. He'll perform better behind our one's, obviously.

Sounds like you are talking about OL? I read for months how an athletic QB would mask that issue. interesting!

Yeah… don't try to change Mayo's words. He knows what he said.

(and he's right btw)

Originally posted by Joecool:
But my evaluation of his play Saturday:

1. Late on throws
2. Seeing it then throwing it
3. Pocket awareness was weak. Didn't feels the sack coming.

Kind of like Alex Smith his rookie year.

I wish there were more thought provoking discussions surrounding 49ers football, and less trolling around here

Actually that take is pretty fair and rational, I agree with it. Lance could still be a legit FQB but he didn't look that way Saturday night.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by Joecool:
But my evaluation of his play Saturday:

1. Late on throws
2. Seeing it then throwing it
3. Pocket awareness was weak. Didn't feels the sack coming.

Kind of like Alex Smith his rookie year.

Actually that take is pretty fair and rational, I agree with it. Lance could still be a legit FQB but he didn't look that way Saturday night.

he will absolutely be there's no question bout it, preseason is just a glorified practice only dumb people takes it seriously
Well it's preseason so he just tried to do the difficult stuff considering the result of the game doesn't even matter. He could've gone Jimmy G mode and just roll out, complete the checkdown and let the guys get YAC, but he used this chance to try something more. I hope it's not difficult to understand.

MMMkay
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Yeah… don't try to change Mayo's words. He knows what he said.

(and he's right btw)

I read for months how an athletic QB would mask that issue. interesting!
People this was only his 2nd live action in the last 2 years. Does he need to improve in some areas? Sure he does. Did he make a trhrow tha tJimmy couldn't make? Yes he did. I think we all agree tha the's not ready to replace Jimmy yet but the talent is obvious. His completion % looked bad but he had 3 perfect throws tha twere dropped. Not passes that could have been caught with more effort. Perfect throws that should have been made. We didn't see any rerad option runs because I'm guessing Kyle wants him to get used to staying in the pocket. The play calling took more shots downfield compared to the usual 5-10 yard throws they dial up with Jimmy at the helm.

No QB can be truly evaluated until he's had at least one full season under his belt. Many great QBs had terrible early games and some awful QBs looked great for the first few games.
Share 49ersWebzone