There are 171 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
People this was only his 2nd live action in the last 2 years. Does he need to improve in some areas? Sure he does. Did he make a trhrow tha tJimmy couldn't make? Yes he did. I think we all agree tha the's not ready to replace Jimmy yet but the talent is obvious. His completion % looked bad but he had 3 perfect throws tha twere dropped. Not passes that could have been caught with more effort. Perfect throws that should have been made. We didn't see any rerad option runs because I'm guessing Kyle wants him to get used to staying in the pocket. The play calling took more shots downfield compared to the usual 5-10 yard throws they dial up with Jimmy at the helm.

No QB can be truly evaluated until he's had at least one full season under his belt. Many great QBs had terrible early games and some awful QBs looked great for the first few games.

nice to read an smart fan for a change
Originally posted by krizay:
Sounds like you are talking about OL? I read for months how an athletic QB would mask that issue. interesting!

I think your confusing that with fans who believe a statue at QB does the OL no favours.
I'm a very middle-of-the-road critic of Lance. I'm a niners first and want the best QB in there. Both sides make great points whether it's supporting Lance or saying he's not ready yet.

I do agree that Lance behind the starting Oline, with deebo, aiyuk, kittle, mostert, etc will be 1000x better. There's just no way he couldn't be. He's an exciting/make you hold your breath every time he drops back player. I'd be OK with him starting week 1.

With that being said, the pocket presence and sacks are the most concerning thing. Again it's preseason week 1 where shanny probably told him not to scramble. There will be times with the starters where the pocket collapses and he must feel that.

You can see the talent, the arm, the touch. We know he's mobile. He just needs to harness it all and learn to control his talent. Like an infinity gauntlet of football. I'm excited whether he or Jimmy starts. We'll be good either way
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Well his salary isn't guaranteed until week 1 so they haven't "kept him around" yet.

Plus they need to come to the belief that Trey won't sh*t the bed.

Also moving Jimmy isn't that easy, his trade value has never been lower, so whatever we do it's a sunk cost. Paying his salary this year, might actually get us a decent return later, and it gives us an excellent insurance policy at worst.

I don't think we can read into it, not yet anyway.

They're not cutting him. There's been no suggestions at all of that possibility.

I agree on the trade value not being ideal but you don't keep and play a qb to improve their trade value. He was kept because we felt it was best to bridge the rook a year. Unless Jimmy sh*ts the bed or gets hurt that won't change.

That is such a huge assumption. I think they just don't want to be in a position where an issue at QB tanks their season. They'll play whoever they think they'll win more with, whenever that is.
Originally posted by Silky:
I'm a very middle-of-the-road critic of Lance. I'm a niners first and want the best QB in there. Both sides make great points whether it's supporting Lance or saying he's not ready yet.

I do agree that Lance behind the starting Oline, with deebo, aiyuk, kittle, mostert, etc will be 1000x better. There's just no way he couldn't be. He's an exciting/make you hold your breath every time he drops back player. I'd be OK with him starting week 1.

With that being said, the pocket presence and sacks are the most concerning thing. Again it's preseason week 1 where shanny probably told him not to scramble. There will be times with the starters where the pocket collapses and he must feel that.

You can see the talent, the arm, the touch. We know he's mobile. He just needs to harness it all and learn to control his talent. Like an infinity gauntlet of football. I'm excited whether he or Jimmy starts. We'll be good either way

Wether he is ready or not, I believe the plan is to hope for Jimmy G having a breakout year to boost his trade value in January
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Mahomes threw 35 passes his rookie season and 5k yards and 50 TDs in year two. I don't see Trey sitting for a season as a hindrance, considering he is likely to see more than 35 passes. And before you go with the "Mahomes admitted he couldn't read a defense until 2020" argument, I'm not so sure Lance is that far ahead in that regard based on some of those sacks and near picks in game 1.

Justin Herbert went 31 in 10 after sitting out one regular season game. We can cherry pick whatever…I don't think Mahomes would have sucked if he played year one. Talent is talent.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Sounds like you are talking about OL? I read for months how an athletic QB would mask that issue. interesting!

I think your confusing that with fans who believe a statue at QB does the OL no favours.

It's funny to read people who actually think what we see in practice or preseason is reflected on actual game day. Comical.
Lance will keep practicing behind that terrible backup OL and he'll be rolling out and extending plays like Russ, Deshaun and other athletic QBs with horrible protection does all the time.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Mahomes threw 35 passes his rookie season and 5k yards and 50 TDs in year two. I don't see Trey sitting for a season as a hindrance, considering he is likely to see more than 35 passes. And before you go with the "Mahomes admitted he couldn't read a defense until 2020" argument, I'm not so sure Lance is that far ahead in that regard based on some of those sacks and near picks in game 1.

Justin Herbert went 31 in 10 after sitting out one regular season game. We can cherry pick whatever…I don't think Mahomes would have sucked if he played year one. Talent is talent.

Different situations. Herbert had to go in because some garbage doctor messed with Tyrod, but I believe he'd have taken over since Tyrod is not even good. I can't wait to watch Herbert in year 2.
The Chiefs were comfortable with Alex Smith, who had a career year in 2017, which helped them trade him for a third and an starting defender.
Originally posted by Tman:
The whole sitting for a year will make him better vs actually playing football is such a lazy take imo.

kid needs to play football to get better at football.

This is a lazy take

Obviously in a vacuum a player will get better at football by playing football

This teams situation is a super bowl ready roster able to win now with a proven veteran that has gotten them there before. Would the rookies development remain stagnant through the entire season sitting behind the veteran through the season? Pretty sure he would be gaining a little through practice, studying and watching

Lazy take is assume a player not playing football will get marginally better at football. SF got to the SB because of their overall team, not just a QB. What he gains by sitting and holding a clipboard isn't even close what he would learn from by playing football…like kyle said, it's hard to get better at football by not playing football.

literally that's what he's missing…snaps.

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Kyle wants to win. He isn't going to sacrifice many wins this year for development IMO.

People always bring up that a rookie hasn't won a SB…but No QB making more than 13.1% of his team's salary cap has ever won a Super Bowl.

Jimmy's is making 13.46% of the 49ers cap in 2021.
Originally posted by mayo49:
No, better supporting cast then what he had Saturday. He'll perform better behind our one's, obviously.

Who told you that you don't need an OL if you had an athletic QB? And you believed him lol?

Obviously an athletic QB can still make plays at times if the OL is bad, but no matter what you still need at least a decent OL. It's one thing having the OL that Pat had in the SB then having our OL. Although our OL wasn't that good, it was still okay.

Originally posted by Tman:
The whole sitting for a year will make him better vs actually playing football is such a lazy take imo.

kid needs to play football to get better at football.

This is a lazy take

Obviously in a vacuum a player will get better at football by playing football

This teams situation is a super bowl ready roster able to win now with a proven veteran that has gotten them there before. Would the rookies development remain stagnant through the entire season sitting behind the veteran through the season? Pretty sure he would be gaining a little through practice, studying and watching

Well, it could go both ways though. You can be on the bench and not improve at all. Jimmy sat years behind Brady and never improved his footwork/mechanics. And people keep telling me that Jimmy needs more reps as a vet. I think we get lulled into this Rodgers/Mahomes mirage sometimes thinking that players get better by sitting
Originally posted by Joecool:
But my evaluation of his play Saturday:

1. Late on throws
2. Seeing it then throwing it
3. Pocket awareness was weak. Didn't feels the sack coming.

Kind of like Alex Smith his rookie year.

How can you say he's late on throws without even seeing the routes or who was actually open on the play? They got all-22 out yet?

Kyle pointed out one sack as being on him, he missed his check down on a blitz in the RZ….outside of that, I totally disagree his "pocket awareness" was wreak.

1. Late on throws

How can you say he's late on throws without even seeing the routes or who was actually open on the play? They got all-22 out yet?

Kyle pointed out one sack as being on him, he missed his check down on a blitz in the RZ….outside of that, I totally disagree his "pocket awareness" was wreak.

There was a curl route where he threw it after the curl was complete and it was almost INT'd. Other routes where DBs were able to break on the ball. DBs were breaking on a lot of balls, which means he's seeing, then throwing or late.

It's going to take time. He jumped up 2 levels. It's difficult enough jumping from the SEC to the NFL. The good thing is that he studies and isn't relying on his natural ability.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Well, it could go both ways though. You can be on the bench and not improve at all. Jimmy sat years behind Brady and never improved his footwork/mechanics. And people keep telling me that Jimmy needs more reps as a vet. I think we get lulled into this Rodgers/Mahomes mirage sometimes thinking that players get better by sitting

Agreed…people think that's the case for every QB, if the best way for a QB to become successful was to red shirt their rookie yr, then every single rookie would be on the bench.

Also no one brings up locker, Quinn, love in regards to sitting out their rookie years.

im not saying he's got to start day 1, but he should get starting snaps at some point this yr…he's either gonna have his bumps this yr or next year and need to realize and expect it.
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:

1. Late on throws

I wish there were more thought provoking discussions surrounding 49ers football, and less trolling around here

I wasn't a fan of drafting Trey Lance, but this take sucks

Hmm. My comparison to Alex was a compliment. Alex can definitely lead teams to Super Bowls and Trey has a higher ceiling.
Share 49ersWebzone