There are 205 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Well, it could go both ways though. You can be on the bench and not improve at all. Jimmy sat years behind Brady and never improved his footwork/mechanics. And people keep telling me that Jimmy needs more reps as a vet. I think we get lulled into this Rodgers/Mahomes mirage sometimes thinking that players get better by sitting

Agreed…people think that's the case for every QB, if the best way for a QB to become successful was to red shirt their rookie yr, then every single rookie would be on the bench.

Also no one brings up locker, Quinn, love in regards to sitting out their rookie years.

im not saying he's got to start day 1, but he should get starting snaps at some point this yr…he's either gonna have his bumps this yr or next year and need to realize and expect it.

Yeah, its hard. I am in the start Trey camp. But I also recognize that he's probably going to make a ton of mistakes as a rookie. But in the long term, it would be more beneficial to us because he'll develop. Putting it off to next year means we'd have to wait until 2023 for his prime
Originally posted by Joecool:
There was a curl route where he threw it after the curl was complete and it was almost INT'd. Other routes where DBs were able to break on the ball. DBs were breaking on a lot of balls, which means he's seeing, then throwing or late.

It's going to take time. He jumped up 2 levels. It's difficult enough jumping from the SEC to the NFL. The good thing is that he studies and isn't relying on his natural ability.

From what I remembered he was late on two throws and had bad mechanics on one bad throw. That curl route IMO should haven't been thrown. I would have liked to know if anyone else was open.

but yes he was a little late on stuff, I would expect that for any rookie.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
From what I remembered he was late on two throws and had bad mechanics on one bad throw. That curl route IMO should haven't been thrown. I would have liked to know if anyone else was open.

he was fine . so was jimmy.. thank god cuz josh was not fine.... now the o line is far from fine no matter the qb but thats a whole other story
Originally posted by Waterbear:
But my evaluation of his play Saturday:

1. Late on throws
2. Seeing it then throwing it
3. Pocket awareness was weak. Didn't feels the sack coming.

Kind of like Alex Smith his rookie year.

lol it's crazy how some people saw that game.

Yes he was late on a couple of throws, yes he needs to see the blitz coming and go to his checkdown but talk about overreaction.

1. Late on throws

How can you say he's late on throws without even seeing the routes or who was actually open on the play? They got all-22 out yet?

Kyle pointed out one sack as being on him, he missed his check down on a blitz in the RZ….outside of that, I totally disagree his "pocket awareness" was wreak.

I'm guessing the 2 minutes drill is new since at NDSU he was destroying most competition. It's this kind of situations he needs to learn, and it was a great thing he had the opportunity on his first preseason game. As I said, the fact is preseason is just a glorified practice.
Yeah, its hard. I am in the start Trey camp. But I also recognize that he's probably going to make a ton of mistakes as a rookie. But in the long term, it would be more beneficial to us because he'll develop. Putting it off to next year means we'd have to wait until 2023 for his prime

Agreed, I think we will run the ball a ton regardless. I'm glad that he played mostly under center and forced him to go through reads. We know they will use him a little different in season.
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
I'm guessing the 2 minutes drill is new since at NDSU he was destroying most competition. It's this kind of situations he needs to learn, and it was a great thing he had the opportunity on his first preseason game. As I said, the fact is preseason is just a glorified practice.

Yup.
Originally posted by cciowa:

he was fine . so was jimmy.. thank god cuz josh was not fine.... now the o line is far from fine no matter the qb but thats a whole other story

I'm expecting Rosen to be one of the cuts this week. Rosen, Richie James, Kai Nacua, Travis Benjamin

Agreed, I think we will run the ball a ton regardless. I'm glad that he played mostly under center and forced him to go through reads. We know they will use him a little different in season.

In Shanahan perfect world he runs the football like 30 times per game. We must consider the top run blockers didn't play in this game except for Mike. And once defenses have to consider Lance a running threat, it will be a problem. Oh and that stupid "low blocking rule" will do wonders for our outside run game.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I'm expecting Rosen to be one of the cuts this week. Rosen, Richie James, Kai Nacua, Travis Benjamin
maybe we can get a o line guy in here,,,, am fine with james going. i think i want to give travis another shot . but if he goes i will not go cc nuts.. maybe we should keep rosen this week. if nothing else.. so he can take hits from the third and fourth string guys and keep jimmy and trey away from that stuff... i think we only have three quarterbacks on the roster??

maybe we can get a o line guy in here,,,, am fine with james going. i think i want to give travis another shot . but if he goes i will not go cc nuts.. maybe we should keep rosen this week. if nothing else.. so he can take hits from the third and fourth string guys and keep jimmy and trey away from that stuff... i think we only have three quarterbacks on the roster??

We still have to see what Nate Sudfield can do with third and fourth string players and let him get the beating. They gave him some guaranteed cash and Scangarello for whatever reason seems to like him, even if he was terrible at Philly
Considering Banks will be out perhaps they could pick a player, but I don't see any quality FA other than the ex Chiefs Center.
[ Edited by richterkbelmont on Aug 16, 2021 at 8:48 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I'd say it's more that the team has no interest in putting up with growing pains when we're a possible SB contender. If we had a sh team and could go 6-10 yeah I'd agree but with expectations it's see ya next year when you're a year more mature and we have to split from Jimmy.

So growing pains in 2022 when we should want to be winning a super bowl as well?

then what in 2023 he will "have it down" and then we gotta start working on a extension?

fun fact no team has won a SB when the QB was making more than 13.1% of the total team salary…Jimmy is at 13.46% this year.
Originally posted by genus49:

1. Late on throws

Yes he was late on a couple of throws, yes he needs to see the blitz coming and go to his checkdown but talk about overreaction.

Yeah. It's not like he had a perfect game by any means. I would give him a B to B-. Should have been 9-14 100+ yards and a TD. Not his fault the WRs dropped perfect passes.

But I really think people struggle to isolate the players they want to evaluate. And why is that?

Because it's really really f**king hard to do!

People get paid a lot of money to evaluate players and they still draft busts in the first round every year.
Originally posted by Tman:
The whole sitting for a year will make him better vs actually playing football is such a lazy take imo.

kid needs to play football to get better at football.

This is a lazy take

Obviously in a vacuum a player will get better at football by playing football

This teams situation is a super bowl ready roster able to win now with a proven veteran that has gotten them there before. Would the rookies development remain stagnant through the entire season sitting behind the veteran through the season? Pretty sure he would be gaining a little through practice, studying and watching

Well, it could go both ways though. You can be on the bench and not improve at all. Jimmy sat years behind Brady and never improved his footwork/mechanics. And people keep telling me that Jimmy needs more reps as a vet. I think we get lulled into this Rodgers/Mahomes mirage sometimes thinking that players get better by sitting

How do you know this for sure, did you watch Jimmy pre-Patriots until the time he got to us? I find that hard to believe he didn't improve any of that in his years behind Brady
Originally posted by genus49:

1. Late on throws

Who's overreacting? Did I make a prediction?
Share 49ersWebzone