There are 196 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Our clueless fans didn't even notice how limited the playbook was for Lance, I guess Shanahan told him what he had to try on Saturday. Lance didn't try to extend plays or get out of the pocket once it collapses, he didn't scramble once. He sat there and tried to make big completions on every throw, didn't go for an easy play on any single snap.

Lol
well this "clueless fan" doesn't quite believe that kyle told lance to not take some underneath routes or not take what the defense gives you and instead take a bunch of sacks and get beat up but hey you know better then us "clueless fans".

I need to see Trey work the ball down the field, (yep he had some drops JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER QB OUT THERE) because I'm guessing he's gonna need to do that in the NFL.
So who are the top 3 QBs playing right now…..Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes? What do they all have in common besides winning SBs

Not saying this the tried and true method but it does lead to future success
Originally posted by Tman:
So who are the top 3 QBs playing right now…..Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes? What do they all have in common besides winning SBs

Wilson, Allen, and Watson started right away and seem just fine.

-edit Allen didn't start week 1
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Aug 16, 2021 at 9:09 AM ]
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

He was referring to superbowls.

maybe if the latter 3 sat our for a while they wouldve won a SB
[ Edited by ritz126 on Aug 16, 2021 at 9:12 AM ]

So top 3 all sat, the next 3 didn't. Does talent + sitting = better future success?

Like I said not tried and true but not fool hearted either
Originally posted by Crown:

He was referring to superbowls.

That was exactly what he wasn't talking about, see "… besides SBs"

So top 3 all sat, the next 3 didn't. Does talent + sitting = better future success?

Like I said not tried and true but not fool hearted either

I'm saying treat each situation separately. For Lance, I think he's not as good as Jimmy in some facets and better at others. But for someone who hasn't played much, sitting seems to not be the right choice. Plus with a solid run game and defense, the team is built to take pressure off a rookie QB.
people already freakin out on Lance after one preseason game?

didn't know HOF's are decided after their 1st preseason game.

Let the man develop.

HOF Loading...
Dumbest s**t I've seen

There's 2 potential upsides to sitting him for the year:

1) Protect his confidence/mental state *if* Shanahan doesn't think he's ready yet. Some guys get mentally broken with failure if they feel it's too much too fast.

2) Win more games this year *if* Shanahan believes Jimmy gives them a better chance.

I prefer they play Trey Lance because I think failure and growing pains are unavoidable for a rookie 21 year old QB. By sitting him you're only delaying the process….Just my opinion.

However, I would understand if Shanny feels he's not ready yet. I'm not with Trey on a daily basis and so obviously Shanahan has a much better feel for where he's at from a performance/mental standpoint.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Joecool:
But my evaluation of his play Saturday:

1. Late on throws
2. Seeing it then throwing it
3. Pocket awareness was weak. Didn't feels the sack coming.

Kind of like Alex Smith his rookie year.

lol it's crazy how some people saw that game.

Yes he was late on a couple of throws, yes he needs to see the blitz coming and go to his checkdown but talk about overreaction.

Who's overreacting? Did I make a prediction?

Your evaluation of him is listed above...that's an overreaction.

His pocket awareness wasn't weak. It wasn't great but it wasn't weak. Him not seeing the blitz is experience, it's not poor pocket presence. If you're expecting Tom Brady like pocket presence from Lance that's more on you.

You basically put some of the poor things he showed in small sample size and based your whole evaluation on the guy. Once again...overreaction.
How do you know this for sure, did you watch Jimmy pre-Patriots until the time he got to us? I find that hard to believe he didn't improve any of that in his years behind Brady

I live in NE/NY market…got all kinds of reports and preseason s**t on Jimmy before he came here. Footwork was always an issue.

Stuff like that you improve on your own, not just because you're sitting behind someone.

in season practices are about installing the weekly game plan & recovery more than anything.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
So growing pains in 2022 when we should want to be winning a super bowl as well?

then what in 2023 he will "have it down" and then we gotta start working on a extension?

fun fact no team has won a SB when the QB was making more than 13.1% of the total team salary…Jimmy is at 13.46% this year.

The cap implications are meaningless as the roster is already set.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 16, 2021 at 9:23 AM ]
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Costanza:
There's 2 potential upsides to sitting him for the year:

1) Protect his confidence/mental state *if* Shanahan doesn't think he's ready yet. Some guys get mentally broken with failure if they feel it's too much too fast.

2) Win more games this year *if* Shanahan believes Jimmy gives them a better chance.

I prefer they play Trey Lance because I think failure and growing pains are unavoidable for a rookie 21 year old QB. By sitting him you're only delaying the process….Just my opinion.

However, I would understand if Shanny feels he's not ready yet. I'm not with Trey on a daily basis and so obviously Shanahan has a much better feel for where he's at from a performance/mental standpoint.

Want to avoid Carr in Houston getting sacked every other play and shell shocking his career.
Share 49ersWebzone