There are 177 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Dumbest s**t I've seen

How soon you forget the Nolan years.
He looked good they are some things he needs to work on but that will come with more playing time

The biggest "issue" i saw was that he made some throws that wouldve been open in college but turned to almost int even against backups.

A lot of the stuff that were weaknesses in college such as accuracy and ball placement inconsistencies due to poor mechanics its clear hes worked on that in the past year and a half or so since his last game

i really liked his throw to James (that was dropped). great example of timing route
Originally posted by genus49:
Your evaluation of him is listed above...that's an overreaction.

His pocket awareness wasn't weak. It wasn't great but it wasn't weak. Him not seeing the blitz is experience, it's not poor pocket presence. If you're expecting Tom Brady like pocket presence from Lance that's more on you.

You basically put some of the poor things he showed in small sample size and based your whole evaluation on the guy. Once again...overreaction.

Yup
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Tman:
How do you know this for sure, did you watch Jimmy pre-Patriots until the time he got to us? I find that hard to believe he didn't improve any of that in his years behind Brady

I live in NE/NY market…got all kinds of reports and preseason s**t on Jimmy before he came here. Footwork was always an issue.

Stuff like that you improve on your own, not just because you're sitting behind someone.

in season practices are about installing the weekly game plan & recovery more than anything.

Yea, I've always said Jimmy's footwork is ugly. one of his biggest weaknesses is footwork.
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Dumbest s**t I've seen

How soon you forget the Nolan years.

It's healthy to forget those years.
So who are the top 3 QBs playing right now…..Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes? What do they all have in common besides winning SBs

Not saying this the tried and true method but it does lead to future success

All those guys show is development helps. I think Brady and Rodgers sitting was a big help for them but another thing all those guys had in common they started a lot of games in college.

Brady played in 29 games at Michigan
Rodgers played in 25 games at Cal
Mahomes played in 32 games at Texas Tech

Lance played in 17 games at NDSU

Lance needs the game snaps because his development is further back than most of those guys. It's a tough situation because there are clearly things he has to work on but it's hard to work on those things when you're not actually playing.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
So growing pains in 2022 when we should want to be winning a super bowl as well?

then what in 2023 he will "have it down" and then we gotta start working on a extension?

fun fact no team has won a SB when the QB was making more than 13.1% of the total team salary…Jimmy is at 13.46% this year.

The cap implications are meaningless as the roster is already set.

Yeah you're right they couldn't possibly make this roster any better…it's all pro-bowlers and starters as depth all over the place. More money wouldn't help that at all.

the point is NO QB eating up that much of a teams total cap has ever won a SB. It's about as meaningful as saying no rookie QB has won a SB.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
So who are the top 3 QBs playing right now…..Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes? What do they all have in common besides winning SBs

Wilson, Allen, and Watson started right away and seem just fine.

-edit Allen didn't start week 1

So top 3 all sat, the next 3 didn't. Does talent + sitting = better future success?

Like I said not tried and true but not fool hearted either

I'm saying treat each situation separately. For Lance, I think he's not as good as Jimmy in some facets and better at others. But for someone who hasn't played much, sitting seems to not be the right choice. Plus with a solid run game and defense, the team is built to take pressure off a rookie QB.

Yes every situation is unique and there is varying success in different approaches. The most successful current QBs all sat, some less successful but still great QBs didn't.

If I'm taking that and everything else into account including Treys age, college experience, current team, current veteran qb, current goals, future goals, ect… I'm a firm believer sitting this year is the best idea for both him and the teams current and future success
Originally posted by genus49:

All those guys show is development helps. I think Brady and Rodgers sitting was a big help for them but another thing all those guys had in common they started a lot of games in college.

Brady played in 29 games at Michigan
Rodgers played in 25 games at Cal
Mahomes played in 32 games at Texas Tech

Lance played in 17 games at NDSU

Lance needs the game snaps because his development is further back than most of those guys. It's a tough situation because there are clearly things he has to work on but it's hard to work on those things when you're not actually playing.

I think that's even more reason to let him sit.
I'd say it's more that the team has no interest in putting up with growing pains when we're a possible SB contender. If we had a sh team and could go 6-10 yeah I'd agree but with expectations it's see ya next year when you're a year more mature and we have to split from Jimmy.

So growing pains in 2022 when we should want to be winning a super bowl as well?

then what in 2023 he will "have it down" and then we gotta start working on a extension?

fun fact no team has won a SB when the QB was making more than 13.1% of the total team salary…Jimmy is at 13.46% this year.

Well there you go folks. If you were on the fence before about Who should be starting, that extra .36% should shut down all questions and definitely start Trey..

thanks for that NY..
Hopefully you can repeat it 78 times just for precaution in cause anyone has missed it..

Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by krizay:
Sounds like you are talking about OL? I read for months how an athletic QB would mask that issue. interesting!

I think your confusing that with fans who believe a statue at QB does the OL no favours.

It's funny to read people who actually think what we see in practice or preseason is reflected on actual game day. Comical.
Lance will keep practicing behind that terrible backup OL and he'll be rolling out and extending plays like Russ, Deshaun and other athletic QBs with horrible protection does all the time.

Um, did you watch the game at all?
How do you know this for sure, did you watch Jimmy pre-Patriots until the time he got to us? I find that hard to believe he didn't improve any of that in his years behind Brady

I live in NE/NY market…got all kinds of reports and preseason s**t on Jimmy before he came here. Footwork was always an issue.

Stuff like that you improve on your own, not just because you're sitting behind someone.

in season practices are about installing the weekly game plan & recovery more than anything.

I hear you it was/is a weakness of his but did he just sit around twiddling his thumbs during practice? You don't think he worked on that at all while Brady started? Did the qb coach solely work with Brady and the gameplan?

Talk about a lazy take
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
I'd say it's more that the team has no interest in putting up with growing pains when we're a possible SB contender. If we had a sh team and could go 6-10 yeah I'd agree but with expectations it's see ya next year when you're a year more mature and we have to split from Jimmy.

Well there you go folks. If you were on the fence before about Who should be starting, that extra .36% should shut down all questions and definitely start Trey..

thanks for that NY..
Hopefully you can repeat it 78 times just for precaution in cause anyone has missed it..

Lol
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by Costanza:
There's 2 potential upsides to sitting him for the year:

1) Protect his confidence/mental state *if* Shanahan doesn't think he's ready yet. Some guys get mentally broken with failure if they feel it's too much too fast.

2) Win more games this year *if* Shanahan believes Jimmy gives them a better chance.

I prefer they play Trey Lance because I think failure and growing pains are unavoidable for a rookie 21 year old QB. By sitting him you're only delaying the process….Just my opinion.

However, I would understand if Shanny feels he's not ready yet. I'm not with Trey on a daily basis and so obviously Shanahan has a much better feel for where he's at from a performance/mental standpoint.

Want to avoid Carr in Houston getting sacked every other play and shell shocking his career.

That team and OL was awful. That's not the case here.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Kyle still doesn't understand pass protection.

Kyle doesn't understand pass protection? Lol. You should be an assistant hc so you could teach Kyle a thing or two

Me? Brandon is the expert. I was just pointing out the discrepancy. Kyle was a WR in college. OL play probably isn't his forte.

I think it's more of not throwing the oline or Trey under the bus than it is him not knowing how pass protection works. Brandon also doesn't know the protection call there. Maybe the OT and Lance were expecting the back to help outside on the DE. It sure looked that way seeing how the OT doesn't seem to care that he's immediately beaten to the outside. (Though that could also be because he expected Lance to be higher up in the pocket)

That's very possible. I'm kind of looking at the collective evidence (draft capital, 125 hits a year, bottom tier in PP, lower standards compared to run blocking, etc) and not the possible coach-speak. I can't remember if it was Eric Davis or Ian Williams who on a pod, said the pass protection standards were very low and there didn't seem to be a lot of accountability in that OL room..

That's fair, but also have to consider that 2018 was really the only season where every starter on the line made it through the whole season.
Share 49ersWebzone