There are 136 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
I wasn't cherry picking, I was pointing out that Mahomes was just fine after a season on the bench. Whether Trey starts this season or not, he's gonna be okay.

How about we leave Mahomes, who could possibly be one of the greatest QBs of all time all said in done, out of the Lance debates? Mahomes wasn't gonna be 3 yrs removed from playing starting football as well…toss in 1,350 passing attempts in college.

we could debate that KC could have won a SB if they played him yr 1 all the same.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by NCommand:
+2 INT's. Let's be objective here.

Which probably wouldn't have happened to begin with If the receivers didn't keep drop drive killing passes.

The dropped passes had nothing to do with the two near INTs. Different drives.

Oh ok .. my bad .. My stream kept crashing down I missed some of the throws... my apologies

Which probably wouldn't have happened to begin with If the receivers didn't keep drop drive killing passes.

Ya he had some mistakes.

I still think that it's Jimmy's job to lose. Unless Trey just looks amazing in the next preseason games, I doubt that Jimmy doesn't start.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
I'd say don't even be worried if his play isn't flawless with all the starters out there.

But I do want to see him with everyone out there with the best blocking possible.

I have a feeling we'll see that much better of a play by Trey.

the best blocking possible may not happen till week one when mack and trent are back full time. and when that happens. a good chance jimmy is the starter.. but your point is well taken... we all hope for better line play no matter the qb,, we also just assume the team will be good in run blocking.. if they struggle there well. that is just not good because. in my opinion. no matter the qb we are a run first team
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
But my evaluation of his play Saturday:

1. Late on throws
2. Seeing it then throwing it
3. Pocket awareness was weak. Didn't feels the sack coming.

Kind of like Alex Smith his rookie year.

lol it's crazy how some people saw that game.

Yes he was late on a couple of throws, yes he needs to see the blitz coming and go to his checkdown but talk about overreaction.

Yeah. It's not like he had a perfect game by any means. I would give him a B to B-. Should have been 9-14 100+ yards and a TD. Not his fault the WRs dropped perfect passes.

But I really think people struggle to isolate the players they want to evaluate. And why is that?

Because it's really really f**king hard to do!

People get paid a lot of money to evaluate players and they still draft busts in the first round every year.

You're overreacting NC...even though there was literally no reaction in your post.

1. Late on throws

Yes he was late on a couple of throws, yes he needs to see the blitz coming and go to his checkdown but talk about overreaction.

Yeah. It's not like he had a perfect game by any means. I would give him a B to B-. Should have been 9-14 100+ yards and a TD. Not his fault the WRs dropped perfect passes.

But I really think people struggle to isolate the players they want to evaluate. And why is that?

People get paid a lot of money to evaluate players and they still draft busts in the first round every year.

Okay. If you want to say both those passes should have been picked then you can also mention that 3 of those drops should have been first downs. Maybe he turns those drives into touchdowns as well.

Lance isn't perfect… he's gonna make mistakes. But we're comparing him to our current starter Jimmy… who Kyle completely put on training wheels with 3 easy passes because he has consistently shown that he's capable of throwing nearly 2-4 picks in any single game.

So if we learn that they're both equally prone to throwing the ball to the other team, (Not saying it's currently equal) then wouldn't the QB who has Lance's big play skill set give us the best chance to win?

I've never said Lance needs to start game one. I'm leaving that up to Kyle. But I believe we will need Lance to be great to win this division and make a deep playoff run. This team is about the same or worse than 2019 and a lot of teams got much better making this a much tougher year to get the first seed imo.

I figured you covered that point with the 3 drops note. Which is very true as well. Just saying we need to evaluate everything and fully expect this given how green he still is despite all the excellent strides he's made.
I'd say don't even be worried if his play isn't flawless with all the starters out there.

But I do want to see him with everyone out there with the best blocking possible.

We should see Improvement from week to week... They'll more than likely go with Jimmy week 1 anyway.
Originally posted by cciowa:

the best blocking possible may not happen till week one when mack and trent are back full time. and when that happens. a good chance jimmy is the starter.. but your point is well taken... we all hope for better line play no matter the qb,, we also just assume the team will be good in run blocking.. if they struggle there well. that is just not good because. in my opinion. no matter the qb we are a run first team

I agree.

But as for OL. they're supposed to play as a unit and having Trent and Mack on the OL i think will change it all. i expect better blocking in the passing and run as soon as they're put out there.
Originally posted by Tman:
So who are the top 3 QBs playing right now…..Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes? What do they all have in common besides winning SBs

Not saying this the tried and true method but it does lead to future success

All those guys show is development helps. I think Brady and Rodgers sitting was a big help for them but another thing all those guys had in common they started a lot of games in college.

Brady played in 29 games at Michigan
Rodgers played in 25 games at Cal
Mahomes played in 32 games at Texas Tech

Lance played in 17 games at NDSU

Lance needs the game snaps because his development is further back than most of those guys. It's a tough situation because there are clearly things he has to work on but it's hard to work on those things when you're not actually playing.

They were also all older than 21.
So who are the top 3 QBs playing right now…..Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes? What do they all have in common besides winning SBs

Not saying this the tried and true method but it does lead to future success

All those guys show is development helps. I think Brady and Rodgers sitting was a big help for them but another thing all those guys had in common they started a lot of games in college.

Brady played in 29 games at Michigan
Rodgers played in 25 games at Cal
Mahomes played in 32 games at Texas Tech

Lance played in 17 games at NDSU

Lance needs the game snaps because his development is further back than most of those guys. It's a tough situation because there are clearly things he has to work on but it's hard to work on those things when you're not actually playing.

I think that's even more reason to let him sit.

That wasn't really my point. It's a balancing act. We're a talented roster with a shot at the SB if we limit mistakes and take advantage of Kyle's scheme. However Lance also makes this offense from legit to dangerous so you need to get him out there in some capacity to have him grow.

Brady grew as a QB more by playing. Rodgers sat for a while and worked on his mechanics so he hit the ground running.

Lance needs to work on his mechanics but he also needs game reps. You can work on mechanics in the offseason but game reps you can only get by playing.

Kyle will have to see what improvements Trey makes before week 1. If he thinks he's made enough where his talents overcome things he still has to work on then he'll start. If he thinks Trey still hasn't shown enough of the little things where he thinks Jimmy gives them the less potential for mistakes and better chance to win games then Jimmy will get the starting job and Trey will see the field for some plays.

Right, good post. We have a shot at a Super Bowl this year if we limit mistakes just like you said. Those SB shots are few and far between like we all know to well. So if we need to limit the mistakes why start such a young, albeit super talented, inexperienced qb? Makes a whole lot more sense to ride the veteran who was here for our last SB visit.

There is wisdom in both approaches in developing Trey, I'm just on a different side then you

Jimmy isn't exactly mistake proof. By PFF's calculations he's in the top 10 for rate of turnover-worthy plays over the last two years despite having one of the lowest ADoTs during that same time.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Aug 16, 2021 at 10:05 AM ]

• cciowa
  • Veteran
I agree.

But as for OL. they're supposed to play as a unit and having Trent and Mack on the OL i think will change it all. i expect better blocking in the passing and run as soon as they're put out there.

oh,, i agree with trent and mack. the depth worries me but i guess it does with all nfl teams
Overreaction: a more emotional or forcible response than is justified.

Analysis: a statement of such an examination
  • thl408
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

Ya he had some mistakes.

I still think that it's Jimmy's job to lose. Unless Trey just looks amazing in the next preseason games, I doubt that Jimmy doesn't start.

Being that it was his first experience in the NFL, those near INTs are good reps to learn from. Perhaps at NDSU he could fit those passes into those same tight windows where those FCS defenders can't react in time, or didn't have the athleticism to make a play on the ball. He's learning what his arm can and can't do in the NFL.

1. Late on throws

You're overreacting NC...even though there was literally no reaction in your post.

LMAO. Just want to evaluate these young kids fairly. In fact, I have more fun talking about where these kids CAN grow because we saw the flashes already. And we know the "talent" and "skill set" already.
Being that it was his first experience in the NFL, those near INTs are good reps to learn from. Perhaps at NDSU he could fit those passes into those same tight windows where those FCS defenders can't react in time, or didn't have the athleticism to make a play on the ball. He's learning what his arm can and can't do in the NFL.

Exactly. These aren't bad things. They are experiences that will calibrate him to the NFL.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 16, 2021 at 10:03 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone