There are 141 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Tman:
Right, good post. We have a shot at a Super Bowl this year if we limit mistakes just like you said. Those SB shots are few and far between like we all know to well. So if we need to limit the mistakes why start such a young, albeit super talented, inexperienced qb? Makes a whole lot more sense to ride the veteran who was here for our last SB visit.

There is wisdom in both approaches in developing Trey, I'm just on a different side then you

Because our not so young, less talented, more experienced QB makes these mistakes too.

Yep, well said.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
But my evaluation of his play Saturday:

1. Late on throws
2. Seeing it then throwing it
3. Pocket awareness was weak. Didn't feels the sack coming.

Kind of like Alex Smith his rookie year.

lol it's crazy how some people saw that game.

Yes he was late on a couple of throws, yes he needs to see the blitz coming and go to his checkdown but talk about overreaction.

Who's overreacting? Did I make a prediction?

YOU are overreacting. The answer to your second question doesnt change the answer to your first at all. Its you.

Just laugh at the overreactions it's pretty fun to read fans panic for a glorified practice.
Lance is going to have some mistakes and growing pains whenever he starts, right?

So why delay it? Whether he starts now or 2022, still going to go through that period of learning?

*Not saying he should start WK1 just yet, I'm not ready to crown that. I just wanted to discuss the above.
  • thl408
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
But my evaluation of his play Saturday:

1. Late on throws
2. Seeing it then throwing it
3. Pocket awareness was weak. Didn't feels the sack coming.

Kind of like Alex Smith his rookie year.

lol it's crazy how some people saw that game.

Yes he was late on a couple of throws, yes he needs to see the blitz coming and go to his checkdown but talk about overreaction.

Who's overreacting? Did I make a prediction?

YOU are overreacting. The answer to your second question doesnt change the answer to your first at all. Its you.

Just laugh at the overreactions it's pretty fun to read fans panic for a glorified practice.

I lol at the overeactions to the reactions.
Oh I remember Packers fans panicking when a rookie Rodgers looked awful his first preseason games. How fans takes seriously these glorified practices is laughable.
I get where you're coming from.

The only thing I'll say which makes me excited is preseason was super vanilla. Really the one play where Lance used the skills which got him drafted so high ended up being the 80 yard TD.

We know once the real games start not only would Trey play with the starters but he would also have Kyle dialing up plays to confuse the hell out of the offense and give the QB easy looks.

So the fact that on the play where we saw the closest to that type of situation resulted in a huge TD is very encouraging. His struggles in the 2 minute offense are understandable. That's more - GO GO GO situation where it's up to the QB to make fast paced decisions and understand that you need to move the ball quickly.

Trey is very smart but obviously it takes time to get the offense to the point where you almost don't have to think. Guys like Brady/Brees/Manning were still working on their craft late in their careers and still had moments where they miss in those situations. I'm actually glad we saw him struggle there because it just means he'll drill down on stuff like that even more.

I wouldn't say that. The first pass that Aiyuk dropped was a good example of his ability to extend plays and make good throws on the move. The pass that James dropped was a perfect throw that showed off his arm as well.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah, I could give two s**ts about performing well on shot plays that are designed to break coverage. I care more about the plays that are expected to be performed on a higher volume throughout games. Lance has a long way to go. We all had far-fetched hopes that he would come out like a 10 year vet. He didn't because he's not. BUT, he showed some things that he needs to and most likely will improve upon.

Saturday simply showed that he is not ready yet, not that he will never be ready. Don't know why some see pointing out areas of deficiency as no room for improvement.

So Lance has a long way to go based off 29 snaps? How about we throw him out there with guys that will actually be playing on Sunday and running plays that use his skill set more?

I think that's a pretty overblown statement.

We can only evaluate what we see. Nobody is making a prediction about his career in the NFL based on it. We are all aware that it is preseason and the situations around it being preseason.
Yeah, I could give two s**ts about performing well on shot plays that are designed to break coverage. I care more about the plays that are expected to be performed on a higher volume throughout games. Lance has a long way to go. We all had far-fetched hopes that he would come out like a 10 year vet. He didn't because he's not. BUT, he showed some things that he needs to and most likely will improve upon.

Saturday simply showed that he is not ready yet, not that he will never be ready. Don't know why some see pointing out areas of deficiency as no room for improvement.

So Lance has a long way to go based off 29 snaps? How about we throw him out there with guys that will actually be playing on Sunday and running plays that use his skill set more?

You don't want Lance to start week 1 at all.
Right, good post. We have a shot at a Super Bowl this year if we limit mistakes just like you said. Those SB shots are few and far between like we all know to well. So if we need to limit the mistakes why start such a young, albeit super talented, inexperienced qb? Makes a whole lot more sense to ride the veteran who was here for our last SB visit.

There is wisdom in both approaches in developing Trey, I'm just on a different side then you

Because our not so young, less talented, more experienced QB makes these mistakes too.

And our young QB needs reps to get better.

So you're saying he sucks and shouldn't be in the NFL?

That is only true for Josh Rosen who was unwatchable
Originally posted by NCommand:

You don't want Lance to start week 1 at all.

I don't care about week 1, I fully expect JG to be the guy then…my whole argument is if you want Lance to improve he's gotta play football. Not hold the clipboard and be 3 yrs removed from playing real football…getting starter reps.

ive always stated after the bye week. No need to dramatize NC

Yeah clearly that's what I said
Originally posted by TownNiner:
Lance is going to have some mistakes and growing pains whenever he starts, right?

So why delay it? Whether he starts now or 2022, still going to go through that period of learning?

*Not saying he should start WK1 just yet, I'm not ready to crown that. I just wanted to discuss the above.

He will probably play this year and he should. He will have a package of plays even early on in certain situations.
Charlie Weiss doesnt expect Trey to start this year. says the Niners are happy to be able to go the Mahomes route with him.
Share 49ersWebzone