There are 145 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
He can make the spectacular play. He shows size, strength, accuracy, ability to throw on the run and outside the pocket. I think the rest is just reading the situation faster and getting the ball out quicker. I would like to see him play with the starters. He has a lot of talent. You can see that already. It will take a while for the game to slow down for him. I think he will get there. In the meantime he will be used in situational packages.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Yeah, I could give two s**ts about performing well on shot plays that are designed to break coverage. I care more about the plays that are expected to be performed on a higher volume throughout games. Lance has a long way to go. We all had far-fetched hopes that he would come out like a 10 year vet. He didn't because he's not. BUT, he showed some things that he needs to and most likely will improve upon.

Saturday simply showed that he is not ready yet, not that he will never be ready. Don't know why some see pointing out areas of deficiency as no room for improvement.

So Lance has a long way to go based off 29 snaps? How about we throw him out there with guys that will actually be playing on Sunday and running plays that use his skill set more?

I think that's a pretty overblown statement.

You don't want Lance to start week 1 at all.

I don't care about week 1, I fully expect JG to be the guy then…my whole argument is if you want Lance to improve he's gotta play football. Not hold the clipboard and be 3 yrs removed from playing real football…getting starter reps.

ive always stated after the bye week. No need to dramatize NC

After the bye week against the Colts, Bears, Rams. Good first experience for the kid to go against top tier defenses hopefully the OL is healthy by then.
Originally posted by boast:
Charlie Weiss doesnt expect Trey to start this year. says the Niners are happy to be able to go the Mahomes route with him.

Charlie Weiss is old. His takes are outdated. 49ers aren't going to go the Mahomes route and Kyle has already said that.

Mahomes didn't come from a pro system, he had to work on the fundamentals and that team wasn't expected to be a SB contender.

Kyle has already said Lance will play this year, we'll have to see in what capacity but Mahomes had 1349 pass attempts in college. Lance had 318 pass attempts.

Lance really does need the reps but Kyle will need to balance the work to ensure Trey's growing pains(which will happen like they do for any QB) won't hurt the team.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
After the bye week against the Colts, Bears, Rams. Good first experience for the kid to go against top tier defenses hopefully the OL is healthy by then.

if jimmy is playing at a top level.. why would you start trey after the bye.. why fix something not broken. if jimmy is hurt or sucks. then you have a different conversation
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by boast:
Charlie Weiss doesnt expect Trey to start this year. says the Niners are happy to be able to go the Mahomes route with him.

Charlie Weiss is old. His takes are outdated. 49ers aren't going to go the Mahomes route and Kyle has already said that.

Mahomes didn't come from a pro system, he had to work on the fundamentals and that team wasn't expected to be a SB contender.

Kyle has already said Lance will play this year, we'll have to see in what capacity but Mahomes had 1349 pass attempts in college. Lance had 318 pass attempts.

Lance really does need the reps but Kyle will need to balance the work to ensure Trey's growing pains(which will happen like they do for any QB) won't hurt the team.

Kyle saying Lance will play this year doesn't equate to Kyle saying he'll start
Originally posted by cciowa:
if jimmy is playing at a top level.. why would you start trey after the bye.. why fix something not broken. if jimmy is hurt or sucks. then you have a different conversation

100%
The fact of the matter is that Shanahan got great tape for Trey to review. He was in so many situations against a good NFL caliber defense. Shanahan wanted him to screw up. The worst thing that could happen to Trey was to have a Justin Fields-like performance and become arrogant just like Fields is becoming. A reporter asked Fields if the NFL game speed was fast, he responded that he thought it was "slow". How arrogant and overconfident. This kid is just waiting to get his confidence crushed. I realize the kid is competing for the starting job and has to pump himself up, but he sounded like a arrogant jackass.

On the other hand, Trey came across as humble. He realized that he didn't light the world on fire and the first thing he wanted to do that night was to look at the game film. Shanahan couldn't ask for anything more. He wanted Trey to make some bad plays tonight and he has plenty of material to teach with.
[ Edited by BleedsRedNGold on Aug 16, 2021 at 10:53 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

100%

i like trey to and i think he is the future. but if we are at the break with one or two losses.. making a change like that is beyond stupid in my opinion

100%

i like trey to and i think he is the future. but if we are at the break with one or two losses.. making a change like that is beyond stupid in my opinion

Couldn't agree more, cc.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
The fact of the matter is that Shanahan got great tape for Trey to review. He was in so many situations against a good NFL caliber defense. Shanahan wanted him to screw up. The worst thing that could happen to Trey was to have a Justin Fields-like performance and become arrogant just like Fields is becoming. A reporter asked Fields if the NFL game speed was fast, he responded that he thought it was "slow". How arrogant and overconfident. This kid is just waiting to get his confidence crushed. I realize the kid is competing for the starting job and has to pump himself up, but he sounded like a arrogant jackass.

On the other hand, Trey came across as humble. He realized that he didn't light the world on fire and the first thing he wanted to do that night was to look at the game film. Shanahan couldn't ask for anything more. He wanted Trey to make some bad plays tonight and he has plenty of material to teach with.

All of this. The Fields comment was definitely cringe worthy. Maybe he succeeds, but that level of confidence after a preseason game is a recipe for disaster.

100%

I wouldn't. Jimmy survived when the OL had backups at both OT positions, I'm expecting him to have the best year of his career. I believe wether you play Jimmy or Lance is a win-win situation.
Jimmy starts and plays well, his trade value boosts, but Lance doesn't get the reps he needs since he hasn't played since October 2020.
Lance starts and gets the valuable reps, but Jimmy value tanks even more.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

All of this. The Fields comment was definitely cringe worthy. Maybe he succeeds, but that level of confidence after a preseason game is a recipe for disaster.

Fields has over 3.5 seconds to throw, it's not like the Bears starting OL is great so he won't have that kind of time consistenty. I loved Fields as a prospect except for that weird Blake Bortles like release and hope he succeeds for a change in Chicago.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

100%

Couldn't agree more, cc.
its like lets playing rotating quarterbacks. here lets have jimmy play the first quarter then trey in the second. oh here lets rotate them every other game.. pick a starter. we have been told to trust kyle.. trust him. push your chips in the middle of the table and let it roll. its not that hard to figure out unless some want to make it difficult.
  • thl408

Good post. When Kyle dialed up a pass play from their own 1 yard line, it became clear that Kyle wanted to put Lance in uncomfortable situations.
This is going to sound crazy with my stance on Lance, but he has to play and play pretty early. You simply cannot expect a guy to sit 2 straight years and then come in ready next year after only throwing the ball 300 times in college, especially at ndsu division.
Kyle has literally put his career on the line for this guy. He needs to play and play well because this is a roster ready to compete.
Share 49ersWebzone