There are 150 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
This is going to sound crazy with my stance on Lance, but he has to play and play pretty early. You simply cannot expect a guy to sit 2 straight years and then come in ready next year after only throwing the ball 300 times in college, especially at ndsu division.
Kyle has literally put his career on the line for this guy. He needs to play and play well because this is a roster ready to compete.
This is going to sound crazy with my stance on Lance, but he has to play and play pretty early. You simply cannot expect a guy to sit 2 straight years and then come in ready next year after only throwing the ball 300 times in college, especially at ndsu division.
Kyle has literally put his career on the line for this guy. He needs to play and play well because this is a roster ready to compete.

I agree with This... If we decide to sit Lance this year, we'll still be In the same situation next year, with a young Inexperienced QB whos In desperate need of playing time....
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Tman:
Right, good post. We have a shot at a Super Bowl this year if we limit mistakes just like you said. Those SB shots are few and far between like we all know to well. So if we need to limit the mistakes why start such a young, albeit super talented, inexperienced qb? Makes a whole lot more sense to ride the veteran who was here for our last SB visit.

There is wisdom in both approaches in developing Trey, I'm just on a different side then you

Because our not so young, less talented, more experienced QB makes these mistakes too.

Mistakes comes in more forms then throwing picks
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

trey has to earn it. again if jimmy starts and plays great.. even if we win a super bowl.. i think you trade jimmy and then give the keys to lance. now if jimmy totally melts down or gets hurt. then you have a different conversation .
dispelling the myth that a guy cant sit on the bench a year after not playing a year before. we all know Lance will see action during the season. he might even start the final game of the season if the Niners wrap up a bye earlier than later.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I don't care about week 1, I fully expect JG to be the guy then…my whole argument is if you want Lance to improve he's gotta play football. Not hold the clipboard and be 3 yrs removed from playing real football…getting starter reps.

ive always stated after the bye week. No need to dramatize NC

Agreed that he just needs some time. If they go into the bye week at 4-1 or 3-2, JG should still be the starting QB since the Packers and Seahawks are within that record. From there, JG should win 2 out of every 3 games to keep his spot. Colts/Bears/Cardinals, Rams/Jaguars/Vikings, Seahawks/Bengals/Falcons, Titans/Texans/Rams.

That puts us at 11-6, in a playoff spot and not having to throw a rookie into situations that might inhibit his development. Thats the perfect position for Lance... not starting just to start for "experience" or that he might develop bad habits if our line gets injured, or the yips if he has to run for his life every play.

We all have to remember that half of being a rookie is getting the offense down, the other half is getting the other teams defenses down. Unless we want to go full to a full gimmicky offense Lance wont be there yet in terms of understanding defenses in his rookie year. When Shanny got here it was "well it takes a full season to even understand and embrace the offense as a QB, look at Matt Ryan." Then JG seemed to do it and everyone said "yeah see it takes a year or two."

Half of this offense is understanding defenses so the QB knows where to go with the ball. JG is a slightly better Alex Smith, but can win within the 5-20 yard range cause he knows where to go with it. Lance, as of right now, is the equivalent of a home run hitter who strikes out or forces his swing half the time, sometimes it works, sometimes it dangerous and sometimes he just whiffs completely. Lets just let him develop an eye for the ball while JG plays small ball and wins some games against the teams we should win against. If he doesnt then fine, throw in Lance and go full home run or strike out while looking for progress within his batting average.
Originally posted by boast:
dispelling the myth that a guy cant sit on the bench a year after not playing a year before. we all know Lance will see action during the season. he might even start the final game of the season if the Niners wrap up a bye earlier than later.

And Peyton Manning can be used to prove you can start a rookie and have a horrible year and not ruin his confidence.

This right here.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

And Peyton Manning can be used to prove you can start a rookie and have a horrible year and not ruin his confidence.

Alex Smith too to some extent.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

I agree with This... If we decide to sit Lance this year, we'll still be In the same situation next year, with a young Inexperienced QB whos In desperate need of playing time....

You don't think he will be more prepared for the nfl next year if he sits this year?

lol. the Colts had Doug Nussmeier and Kelly Holcomb as their other QBs.

this isnt at all about a possibility of ruining Trey's confidence. this about letting him learn without any pressure of carrying a Super Bowl contender.

Alex Smith too to some extent.

There's an example of every scenario working out well and bad. It's why the whole to red shirt or not is just dumb imo. Good players will be good regardless. It's more situation and scheme than anything. Our team is clearly more talented than most top 5 QB pick team. I don't see why anyone wouldn't want the more talented player to play. Our defense is going to be winning most the games anyways.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Right, good post. We have a shot at a Super Bowl this year if we limit mistakes just like you said. Those SB shots are few and far between like we all know to well. So if we need to limit the mistakes why start such a young, albeit super talented, inexperienced qb? Makes a whole lot more sense to ride the veteran who was here for our last SB visit.

There is wisdom in both approaches in developing Trey, I'm just on a different side then you

Because our not so young, less talented, more experienced QB makes these mistakes too.

Mistakes comes in more forms then throwing picks

Agreed. Like passing over an open WR down field in favor of a safe check down is a mistake. You dont have to tell ME this sir. I have been beating this drum since Alex Smith was our QB.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Aug 16, 2021 at 11:23 AM ]

You don't think he will be more prepared for the nfl next year if he sits this year?

To some extent, Yes..but he'll still be making Rookie mistakes. So, It's either this year or next year he deals with the rookie growing pains.... either way, he really needs reps more than anything right now.

lol. the Colts had Doug Nussmeier and Kelly Holcomb as their other QBs.

this isnt at all about a possibility of ruining Trey's confidence. this about letting him learn without any pressure of carrying a Super Bowl contender.

The point was Peytons development wasn't hurt by starting early and bombing. And he was better than those QBs didn't we draft Lance cause he's better than Jimmy?
Share 49ersWebzone