There are 164 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
You can look around the league and find success / failures all over the place.
Andrew Luck succeeded but his career got ruined by terrible team building,
Rodgers succeeded riding the bench multiple years
Manning succeeded after a terrible rookie year
Alex Smith was so so since his situation in SF was a dumpster fire that decade
Mahomes succeeded with a redshirt year
Josh Allen didn't break out until his third season, he had the same accuracy issues that Lance currently has
Lamar Jackson started in the middle of his rookie season since Flacco was terrible, but hasn't been consisten as a passer
Herbert did good with bad coaching and the worst OL in the league
Baker Mayfield had a terrible sophomore slump but competent coaching and a great supporting cast helped him
Sam Darnold was a dumpster fire with the Jets and we'll see if a better team and coaching helps him
Josh Rosen is just mentally weak and no coaching staff can help him, he doesn't belong in the league

There's so many factors and stories that there's really not a recipee for success, but the most important factor is the QB talent and mentality to improve.
Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Luckily for us Jimmy has a knack for winning

Which make the choice hard. We don't want to lose either of our first two games. I contended either QB should be successful, but Jimmy is a proven winner.

The only major risk is if Lance bombs… but I haven't seen or heard anything that would make me think that would happen. He had an up/down performance Saturday and that's probably what to expect for most of his rookie year. But coupling his big play potential to our SB roster and have him learn while doing still seems like the best strategy to me.

Because the #1 goal is to win a SB. However, Lynch and Shanahan's record isn't good overall and while they're not on the hot seat now, another losing season or mismanagement of the QB situation could result in that. You could make the argument that Shanahan is more concerned about maxing out his chances of making the playoffs vs. maxing out his chances for a SB. They're different. The former one is very likely with Jimmy on the roster. The later is unlikely period, but even more so with Jimmy's contract.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Haha. Just meant that's not what we were talking about in that exchange you jumped in on.

Fake news. We never fixed the pass protection which is vital to a classic drop back QB. And then I expanded it to mobile QB's as well. That's more than proven accurate. Like the very first pre season game WITH a mobile QB. You still need quality and consistent pass protection or it won't matter in the end. That's been my narrative for like 20 years here. LOL

No doubt every QB benefits from having decent protection from the OL... Just like every OL benefits from having a good QB behind them.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Haha. Just meant that's not what we were talking about in that exchange you jumped in on.

Fake news. We never fixed the pass protection which is vital to a classic drop back QB. And then I expanded it to mobile QB's as well. That's more than proven accurate. Like the very first pre season game WITH a mobile QB. You still need quality and consistent pass protection or it won't matter in the end. That's been my narrative for like 20 years here. LOL

No doubt every QB benefits from having decent protection from the OL... Just like every OL benefits from having a good QB behind them.

The Colts offensive line would like a word with you.
Luckily for us Jimmy has a knack for winning

Which make the choice hard. We don't want to lose either of our first two games. I contended either QB should be successful, but Jimmy is a proven winner.

The only major risk is if Lance bombs… but I haven't seen or heard anything that would make me think that would happen. He had an up/down performance Saturday and that's probably what to expect for most of his rookie year. But coupling his big play potential to our SB roster and have him learn while doing still seems like the best strategy to me.

Because the #1 goal is to win a SB. However, Lynch and Shanahan's record isn't good overall and while they're not on the hot seat now, another losing season or mismanagement of the QB situation could result in that. You could make the argument that Shanahan is more concerned about maxing out his chances of making the playoffs vs. maxing out his chances for a SB. They're different. The former one is very likely with Jimmy on the roster. The later is unlikely period, but even more so with Jimmy's contract.

They have to keep Jimmy. As exciting as Lances TD was he is still not ready and wasting a superbowl caliber roster on a shaky rookie is how u waste a superbowl window. Keep Jimmy and start him til u need Lance. If Jimmy is hurt or falters a couple games in a row we have Lance to come in with his deadly arm and legs. When healthy Jimmy is the man
Originally posted by random49er:
LOL. OK, they were rated 32 out of 32 in a pre season game instead of 26th for a full real season.

The OLine will never be the reason why Jimmy can't test deep down the hashes.

Screaming "OLine OLine OLine!!!" to everyone incessantly doesn't somehow make Jimmy a playmaking QB.

People want to blame it on his ACL,...but I've posted in this thread the same exact thing NE was waiting to get back to their offense once Brady came back: testing the deeper ends of the field. Jimmy served well and looked good/serviceable for sure.

But his skills are limited, regardless of the OLine. Hence, the 3 1st rounders for Trey.

Literally, nobody was talking about Garoppolo. Nor was that anywhere near the point.

That's literally one of your top 3 Objectives on the board since before the trade for the #3 pick. You know,..."Narratives" and stuff.

Just about you talked about to hammer home is that we should keep the statue Quarterback without seeking another one and upgrade the OLine. The former didn't work out the way you wished, so here you are, still pushing the theory. Is there anything here wrong? Your gig is being a narrator,....dont become a denier as well.

It was like the reply had nothing to do with the post he replied to.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I am not arguing that he has the same grasp on the offense and NFL defenses that Jimmy does. That is not and has never been my point.

My point is that he needs to play. He needs the experience. He won't get that experience sitting on the bench. I dont mind him taking his lumps this year because I believe with Shanahans scheme and the fact that we have a good amount of talent on offense, Treys lumps will not cost us a bunch of wins. And I believe his skillset might actually win us games.

This situation is so different than most highly drafted QB's situations. He can still make some mistakes without it being a huge detriment to the team...especially given the fact that Jimmy makes a ton of mistakes even in spite of the experience.

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
They have to keep Jimmy. As exciting as Lances TD was he is still not ready and wasting a superbowl caliber roster on a shaky rookie is how u waste a superbowl window. Keep Jimmy and start him til u need Lance. If Jimmy is hurt or falters a couple games in a row we have Lance to come in with his deadly arm and legs. When healthy Jimmy is the man

That assumes he can't provide similar QB play as Jimmy does.

I think right now with his uneven passing ability, running ability, and our stout run game and defense he would produce similar offensive production, albeit a different style. RGIII's rookie campaign is what I'm talking about.

It appears as though most posters would prefer the alternative, but I want Lance to be QB1 now.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
LOL. OK, they were rated 32 out of 32 in a pre season game instead of 26th for a full real season.

Screaming "OLine OLine OLine!!!" to everyone incessantly doesn't somehow make Jimmy a playmaking QB.

People want to blame it on his ACL,...but I've posted in this thread the same exact thing NE was waiting to get back to their offense once Brady came back: testing the deeper ends of the field. Jimmy served well and looked good/serviceable for sure.

But his skills are limited, regardless of the OLine. Hence, the 3 1st rounders for Trey.

Literally, nobody was talking about Garoppolo. Nor was that anywhere near the point.

That's literally one of your top 3 Objectives on the board since before the trade for the #3 pick. You know,..."Narratives" and stuff.

Just about you talked about to hammer home is that we should keep the statue Quarterback without seeking another one and upgrade the OLine. The former didn't work out the way you wished, so here you are, still pushing the theory. Is there anything here wrong? Your gig is being a narrator,....dont become a denier as well.

It was like the reply had nothing to do with the post he replied to.

Maybe he was the one who had a narrative...about Jimmy.

Originally posted by Sickaa:

It absolutely works both ways. Nobody is denying that. The issue at hand is that no matter which QB played, from Hoyer to BeatHard to Mullens to Jimmy to Trey, the pass protection has ALWAYS been consistently poor and inconsistent esp. in known passing situations.

Let's just hope for the future that the new QB and new focus on pass protection fixes things so that Kyle can FINALLY open up his full offensive playbook without reservation.

In the end, this is what we ALL really want.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 16, 2021 at 1:05 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Trey Lance is right where I thought he would be. Making splash plays, but also making rookie mistakes. Also wish I could see him with the starting O-line that includes Trent Williams and Alex Mack!!! But in due time!!

I understand your point but I think you're still using a straw man argument with mobile QBs vs pocket QBs and their effect on the offensive line.

I think it's clear that having a mobile QB doesn't result in less sacks. I get that.

But when you hear players and coaches talk about playing against mobile QBs, they all say it affects their ability to rush and bring extra player on blitzes.

Lance and Jimmy G might take the same exact amount of sacks if they started the whole season… all my point has been is that having someone like Trey at QB helps keep defenses honest or it adds a chance to break a huge run if the defense doesn't keep their rush lanes. That's why having a mobile QB "helps" the offensive line. You have more chances at producing big plays when normally you would be getting sacked with bad OL play.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

That assumes he can't provide similar QB play as Jimmy does.

I think right now with his uneven passing ability, running ability, and our stout run game and defense he would produce similar offensive production, albeit a different style. RGIII's rookie campaign is what I'm talking about.

It appears as though most posters would prefer the alternative, but I want Lance to be QB1 now.

He can do what jimmy does just won't. Jimmy's average was like 4.5 yards an attempt. Add 20 more throws, you add an int and the attempt yards doesn't change. Sure tray got excited in there playing against the ones, with second stringers. There is no way around it we need to see tray with ones against ones. I want tray to start because jimmy is never a threat in any way. Defenses don't have to game plan for him.
[ Edited by fan49 on Aug 16, 2021 at 1:10 PM ]
Needs first team reps, period.
Share 49ersWebzone