There are 202 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Because our not so young, less talented, more experienced QB makes these mistakes too.

This, absolutely this.

People forget also forget that our run game is our foundation.

Wait until Trey is adding to it, and then dropping bombs when the D creeps up.

This is the way.

It seems that many are ignoring that the kid should of had three picks in that game. It's as if those throws didn't even happen. He's not ready yet. This is a super bowl caliber roster. The coaches aren't going to sacrifice this roster just to get the rook more playing time. He can learn plenty during the season as QB2. When the coaches say he's ready, he'll start. JG is looking plenty sharp. If our o-line comes together, this may be a super year. Go Niners!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Right, I'm merely speaking from pure pass protection and not how just the threat of a run by a QB can help in that aspect; like a cerebral veteran QB with total control presnap can affect the defense.

Mobile QB's are just on the other side of the spectrum. Their issue is all the extra hits, lots of injuries, huge losses on sack yardage, relying on athleticism too much to where it inhibits their in-pocket development, late season burn outs and ineffectiveness, more on their plate (designed QB runs, RPO's, RO, etc.), OL doesn't know how and where to block for them, etc.

Obviously the most ideal is perfectly in between like Steve Young after countless years within the WCO. They don't have those long practices and time to develop like that anymore so it'll lean more towards the athletic side to help counter that. That's what the league is proving now.

How many times does this need to be posted and addressed before we stop seeing people post it? Mobile QBs do NOT get hurt more than pocket QBs. There is ZERO evidence that they get hurt more often. Please stop posting this like its a fact. It's crazy.
Because our not so young, less talented, more experienced QB makes these mistakes too.

This, absolutely this.

This is the way.

It will be the way but patience young Padawan. Anakin didn't become Vader overnight, his destiny will be fulfilled and bring balance to Super Bowl titles
Originally posted by eastie:
It seems that many are ignoring that the kid should of had three picks in that game. It's as if those throws didn't even happen. He's not ready yet. This is a super bowl caliber roster. The coaches aren't going to sacrifice this roster just to get the rook more playing time. He can learn plenty during the season as QB2. When the coaches say he's ready, he'll start. JG is looking plenty sharp. If our o-line comes together, this may be a super year. Go Niners!

It seems that you are making up a third.

The almost picks were decision making mistakes rather than accuracy issues. I'm confident he will iron that out sooner than later.
I am not arguing that he has the same grasp on the offense and NFL defenses that Jimmy does. That is not and has never been my point.

My point is that he needs to play. He needs the experience. He won't get that experience sitting on the bench. I dont mind him taking his lumps this year because I believe with Shanahans scheme and the fact that we have a good amount of talent on offense, Treys lumps will not cost us a bunch of wins. And I believe his skillset might actually win us games.

This situation is so different than most highly drafted QB's situations. He can still make some mistakes without it being a huge detriment to the team... especially given the fact that Jimmy makes a ton of mistakes even in spite of the experience.

This post is a joke, right?

Man you guys complain too much.

* Missed last year of football (most of it - Covid). Not his fault.

* Comes from a lower division level. The NFL is new to him. He will adjust.

* The offense and style of play is brand new to him.

The plus side.

* He shows outstanding size, strength and athleticism.

* He has the strength and accuracy to throw the deep ball over the top. That's awesome.

* He already flashed big plays and he is brand new and still learning. He just does that on pure athleticism.

I think we can go the Super Bowl with this guy. I see Super Bowl in Trey Lance's future.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Aug 16, 2021 at 2:51 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Well there you go folks. If you were on the fence before about Who should be starting, that extra .36% should shut down all questions and definitely start Trey..

thanks for that NY..
Hopefully you can repeat it 78 times just for precaution in cause anyone has missed it..

No different than b******tting about a rookie never winning a SB…haven't heard that in here over and over.

Jeep we all know how you feel about it, no need to constantly be a dick to me, just because you don't agree…that's not changing anything sorry dude.

Calls me a dick…
nice…

Just laying out facts and topics and opinions just like you dude.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:

The almost picks were decision making mistakes rather than accuracy issues. I'm confident he will iron that out sooner than later.

Agreed
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

The plus side.

* He has the strength and accuracy to throw the deep ball over the top. That's awesome.

* He already flashed big plays and he is brand new and still learning. He just does that on pure athleticism.

I think we can go the Super Bowl with this guy. I see Super Bowl in Trey Lance's future.

Originally posted by Stanley:
Originally posted by boast:
i wasnt comparing Lance to Rodgers. i'm pointing out that QB only getting minimal snaps in a game over a few years isnt detrimental to his growth.

"isn't 'necessarily' detrimental to his growth."

Excellent correction. Because not playing games can of course be detrimental to growth in many cases. Maybe not all. But it's not the "it doesn't matter if he never plays" storyline many want to run with because it makes them feel better.

I think if Jimmy is still here, you find a happy medium between when he starts. Somewhere between game 1 and game 17 is that happy medium,...we just don't really know which game it will be.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

The plus side.

We are going to the Super Bowl with Trey Lance.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Mobile QB's are just on the other side of the spectrum. Their issue is all the extra hits, lots of injuries, huge losses on sack yardage, relying on athleticism too much to where it inhibits their in-pocket development, late season burn outs and ineffectiveness, more on their plate (designed QB runs, RPO's, RO, etc.), OL doesn't know how and where to block for them, etc.

You're trying to use the terms "mobile QBs" and "running QBs" interchangeably and it just will never add up. That's the straw man stuff the other responder was referring to.

Being mobile is an ability. Nothing more. It adds an extra dimension to an offense. It doesn't mean the guy has to take a bunch of hits running around trying to truck guys like Cam Newton or Tim Tebow all the time.

Kyle wants to keep you honest and have the ability to be more diverse. No one's suggested here that getting one would fix the 2nd or 3rd team OL in preseason game 1.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 16, 2021 at 3:14 PM ]

This, absolutely this.

This is the way.

I think it's close to 50/50 on people wanting Trey to start game one.

I'm not one of those people even though I've been pushing to draft him for months.

What I and I assume many people disagree with your post is that you can make the claim that he's not ready and Jimmy G is. When Jimmy himself throws at least 2-4 potential bonehead picks every game.

If all you're saying is that we should start Jimmy and let it play out naturally… I agree somewhat. But claiming he threw 3 potential picks is 1. Inaccurate and 2. Doesn't help your case that Jimmy is "ready" when he does the same things.
Originally posted by Tman:

This, absolutely this.

This is the way.

It will be the way but patience young Padawan. Anakin didn't become Vader overnight, his destiny will be fulfilled and bring balance to Super Bowl titles

He also didn't sit around floating rocks about, got straight into ending Separatists (thought Younglings was too dark!)

Besides Trey has a better teacher, he won't give up the high ground!
Share 49ersWebzone