49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 278 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
yep agreed, General Meade was able to hold the high ground at Gettysburg and that turned out pretty good as well
Originally posted by Tman:
It will be the way but patience young Padawan. Anakin didn't become Vader overnight, his destiny will be fulfilled and bring balance to Super Bowl titles

I sense the Dark side of the Force is strong in you
It's so nice having a QB who not only looks for long throws but can actually complete them. That out to James that was dropped was beautiful too
Originally posted by eastie:
It seems that many are ignoring that the kid should of had three picks in that game. It's as if those throws didn't even happen. He's not ready yet. This is a super bowl caliber roster. The coaches aren't going to sacrifice this roster just to get the rook more playing time. He can learn plenty during the season as QB2. When the coaches say he's ready, he'll start. JG is looking plenty sharp. If our o-line comes together, this may be a super year. Go Niners!

No, I'm not. Like others have said I simply accept that he will have bumps whilst he learns on the job.

It's not like our current starter isn't above a bonehead pick or two.

JG is looking sharp, but we've seen (and more importantly) DC's have seen where he looks sharp, the short to intermediate range between the numbers.

I'll take my chances on Kyle scheming up plays with a raw kid who makes you defend every blade of grass, that DC's have no film on.
These are the nuanced things that he needs to learn and you gotta play to figure it out

Originally posted by NYniner85:
These are the nuanced things that he needs to learn and you gotta play to figure it out

Looks like he recognized it but didn't have a throwing lane.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Because our not so young, less talented, more experienced QB makes these mistakes too.

This, absolutely this.

People forget also forget that our run game is our foundation.

Wait until Trey is adding to it, and then dropping bombs when the D creeps up.

This is the way.

It seems that many are ignoring that the kid should of had three picks in that game. It's as if those throws didn't even happen. He's not ready yet. This is a super bowl caliber roster. The coaches aren't going to sacrifice this roster just to get the rook more playing time. He can learn plenty during the season as QB2. When the coaches say he's ready, he'll start. JG is looking plenty sharp. If our o-line comes together, this may be a super year. Go Niners!

I think it's close to 50/50 on people wanting Trey to start game one.

I'm not one of those people even though I've been pushing to draft him for months.

What I and I assume many people disagree with your post is that you can make the claim that he's not ready and Jimmy G is. When Jimmy himself throws at least 2-4 potential bonehead picks every game.

If all you're saying is that we should start Jimmy and let it play out naturally… I agree somewhat. But claiming he threw 3 potential picks is 1. Inaccurate and 2. Doesn't help your case that Jimmy is "ready" when he does the same things.

Fortunately it is not a popularity contest over which QB starts. It is a decision by the head coach over who is the better QB leading up to each game.

I am sure some people really believe it is:

1) Up to the fans who starts.

2) That Kyle, Lynch and all the assistant coach constantly monitor the QB threads to get ideas from the posters over who should start at QB.

3) That the QB starter is decided by pure magic and wishes rather then rational analysis by experienced coaches and managment on the players performance in games and practice.

I'm not one of those people even though I've been pushing to draft him for months.

What I and I assume many people disagree with your post is that you can make the claim that he's not ready and Jimmy G is. When Jimmy himself throws at least 2-4 potential bonehead picks every game.

If all you're saying is that we should start Jimmy and let it play out naturally… I agree somewhat. But claiming he threw 3 potential picks is 1. Inaccurate and 2. Doesn't help your case that Jimmy is "ready" when he does the same things.

To be honest Oso, a lot of it has to do with the schedule. I believe that Trey gives us the best chance to win, but acknowledge they'll be growing pains.

I think starting Trey @ Lions and Eagles will give him a real platform.

I truly believe that he'll reach the point where he's no longer playing like a rookie, before the end of his rookie year, and the sooner that comes the better. I believe that's how we win the Superbowl.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Here's another. These plays are a bit worrisome because struggles to hit his hot vs blitzes also showed up in college. I highlighted a similar play at NDSU where he failed to look for his hot despite an obviously impending blitz. Hopefully, it's something he can figure out.

found it

Originally posted by Heroism:

Trey Lance was rarely under pressure, so this one is a bit alarming. UCA blitz 0. His hot is the shallow route coming from the right. Why is he looking to the opposite side? He drops his eyes under pressure and just flounders.

[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 16, 2021 at 3:52 PM ]

To be honest Oso, a lot of it has to do with the schedule. I believe that Trey gives us the best chance to win, but acknowledge they'll be growing pains.

I think starting Trey @ Lions and Eagles will give him a real platform.

I truly believe that he'll reach the point where he's no longer playing like a rookie, before the end of his rookie year, and the sooner that comes the better. I believe that's how we win the Superbowl.

He won't be starting in the regular season unless JG gets hurt. You know that right?

Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Because our not so young, less talented, more experienced QB makes these mistakes too.

This, absolutely this.

People forget also forget that our run game is our foundation.

Wait until Trey is adding to it, and then dropping bombs when the D creeps up.

This is the way.

Fortunately it is not a popularity contest over which QB starts. It is a decision by the head coach over who is the better QB leading up to each game.

I am sure some people really believe it is:

1) Up to the fans who starts.

2) That Kyle, Lynch and all the assistant coach constantly monitor the QB threads to get ideas from the posters over who should start at QB.

3) That the QB starter is decided by pure magic and wishes rather then rational analysis by experienced coaches and managment on the players performance in games and practice.

I like how your points 1,2, & 3 are all the saying the same thing but for some reason you split them up. Lol

I also never said it matters what the fans think. So I don't know if you we're trying to insinuate that or not but that's not what I was trying to say.
There is also NO correlation between being a scrambling QB and being injured more often. None. People just use this as a way to justify their position. The fact is you are just as likely to be injured standing tall in the pocket and delivering a ball as you are running out of bounds or being tackled while scrambling.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
There is also NO correlation between being a scrambling QB and being injured more often. None. People just use this as a way to justify their position. The fact is you are just as likely to be injured standing tall in the pocket and delivering a ball as you are running out of bounds or being tackled while scrambling.

Any danger of me being injured while watching on TV?
"He obviously made some plays. He showed his arm talent. He did all those things well. I think Kyle (Shanahan) mentioned it, and you can see it on the tape, and Kyle and I watch a lot of things together, and we did (watch Trey). A lot of the strides he's made in terms of some of the fundamental things that we've asked him to work on, he reverted a little."

I wonder if they're(John Lynch+Kyle Shanahan)referencing his throwing mechanics. I noticed that later in the game, Trey's mechanics began to get sloppy. His release got long, and his lower body got a bit out of whack.

As we've mentioned in the draft forum a bajillion times, mechanics take years to become motor pathways. It's going to take time for everything Trey has worked on to become second nature when the bullets are firing. The more reps he gets, the better--as long as things aren't unraveling, of course.
[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 16, 2021 at 3:59 PM ]
Originally posted by TownNiner:
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Any danger of me being injured while watching on TV?

More people have died while watching an NFL game than have died playing in one. Food for thought.
Share 49ersWebzone