There are 513 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
These are the nuanced things that he needs to learn and you gotta play to figure it out

Quality find NY.

Great find. This is the kind of stuff Kyle wanted to happen so he could find stuff for Lance to work on. This is the kinds of things Lance will work tirelessly to fix no doubt
From your first reference:

In other words, one cannot predict from observed data that a signal-caller like 2019 MVP Lamar Jackson is more prone to injuries simply because he runs more than other NFL passers.

Sure you can. He's literally injured every year.

You're strawing this one out. Everyone's injured every year if we want to go there,...but the rates of injuries that the poster brought to you in a multitude of links should be replied to. Bring us some numbers that contest what he's saying,...some rates,...not whataboutisms on a 1-by-1 basis.

We're putting everyone in the pot and seeing if there's any truth to what you suggest. And the reality is there isin't.

The correlation's just not there, no matter how much you may want it to.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 16, 2021 at 7:45 PM ]
Originally posted by random49er:
From your first reference:

In other words, one cannot predict from observed data that a signal-caller like 2019 MVP Lamar Jackson is more prone to injuries simply because he runs more than other NFL passers.

Sure you can. He's literally injured every year.

You're strawing this one out. Everyone's injured every year if we want to go there,...but the rates of injuries that the poster brought to you in a multitude of links should be replied to.

The correlation's just not there, no matter how much you may want it to.

I just know because I manage the AGL injury thread which closely monitors team weekly accounts of injuries...and yes, in many cases, the player can still play injured. Those don't show up on many sites because the player played. But he was injured/hampered. It was not only something I noticed but 'where' the injuries occurred and why are important factors too when starting to look more closely at this topic.

But I can be convinced otherwise too. The data is still so new and there's so many different mobile QB's who are used very differently so that makes these bucket statements challenging.

Just like the more games you play, the more likelihood you'll get injured. The more you hold the ball, the more likely you are to get injured (see also, running backs). Simple probability.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 16, 2021 at 7:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Silky:
My .02 cents is a rookie never won a SB...but what better situation could one win in right now? Big Ben and hell even Mark Sanchez almost did it as rookies. I think it will happen one day. Every record and stat is meant to be broken. Trey has a super squad when kittle, deebo, aiyuk, mostert, mack, Williams, etc are all in there. It can happen and I wouldn't get the rookie nerves if he went in there to replace jimmy at some point

Im with you on this. I keep hearing he's a film junky and works tirelessly to improve himself. Im interested in seeing how he does in the next two preseason games. But will it be enough to unseat jimmy.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Trey, go! Hang in there buddy.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
It's literally 50/50 you could argue either way which type of QB is injured more than the other. But if you wanna talk what type of QB has more Super Bowl rings, most definitely the pocket passer!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
It's literally 50/50 you could argue either way which type of QB is injured more than the other. But if you wanna talk what type of QB has more Super Bowl rings, most definitely the pocket passer!!!

That too will change over the next 20 years too.

God, can you imagine what football will be like in 20 years? LOL
If there is one thing that Trey will learn from Jimmy it's the short and quick game. Once he gets that down he will be a bonifide star.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Mobile QB's having more Super Bowls?? Yah I doubt that, I don't see a Lamar Jackson type QB suddenly winning 5 Super Bowls. I'll believe it when I see it.

Mobile QB's having more Super Bowls?? Yah I doubt that, I don't see a Lamar Jackson type QB suddenly winning 5 Super Bowls. I'll believe it when I see it.

Fair enough.

To paraphrase Greg Cosell on one specific thing I've heard him say over the radio on KNBR: "structured football is and will continue to be forefront to a team's success"

By structure, we're talking game planning, scheme, and playcalling, and not so much random elements that don't involve the aformentioned. That's why I kinda don't get it when people talk about how Kyle is a master at "scheming" receivers open and whatnot. The job of an offense is to stay a step ahead of the defense (and vice-versa). I don't think the objective here is to overrely on "athletes being athletes". This does not at all mean the entire immobile pocket QBs vs mobile QBs debate, but instead something more in the vein of a QB "understanding" what a defense is doing/trying to do before the snap, and confirming it post-snap OR understanding what actually is happening post-snap vs what they showed pre-snap, as opposed to maybe not necessarily grasping what the defense did after the snap and then trying to make up for it via scrambling, or maybe having way too much faith in your arm strength and accuracy and trying to fit in throws that you may swear are actually there.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
If there is one thing that Trey will learn from Jimmy it's the short and quick game. Once he gets that down he will be a bonifide star.

I also want him to learn that throw-spin immediately after Garoppolo throws to avoid direct hits (whom he learned from Brady). He's got a bigger frame to hit.

Ok boomer
2.7s is plenty of time in Kyle's 2.5s offense.

Share 49ersWebzone