There are 145 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
If we go undefeated & win the sb with James garoppolo what happens??

I get crazy drunk and accidentally ban everyone from the forum, including myself.

no balls
Lance looked pretty much like what you would expect from a one year starter from the FCS. We saw the arm talent, we saw the ability to throw down the field, we also saw a guy who looked considerably unpolished and with a lot of work ahead of him. Playing on a stacked team, in a run first offense against heavyweights like James Madison in the FCS doesn't exactly prepare you for NFL defenses.

He's a work in progress. The worst thing the 49ers could do is to throw him out there, let him get his ass kicked and start seeing ghosts out on the field. I think you have to ease him in packages that will help boost his confidence and make him feel more comfortable as he slowly adapts to the speed of the NFL game while you have a steady veteran in Garoppolo to hold things down.

Considering how much the team invested in Lance, it would be a mistake to try to rush him out there. You didn't trade up for him just for the next season but for the next 15, thus I'm hoping they stick with the long term approach in mind, letting him develop at his own pace.

I get crazy drunk and accidentally ban everyone from the forum, including myself.
goodbye WZ

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

goodbye WZ

i've accidentally hit delete all on more than a few user's profiles, and that is while I was sober.
Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by grapesofrathman:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
It's literally 50/50 you could argue either way which type of QB is injured more than the other. But if you wanna talk what type of QB has more Super Bowl rings, most definitely the pocket passer!!!

That too will change over the next 20 years too.

God, can you imagine what football will be like in 20 years? LOL

To paraphrase Greg Cosell on one specific thing I've heard him say over the radio on KNBR: "structured football is and will continue to be forefront to a team's success"

By structure, we're talking game planning, scheme, and playcalling, and not so much random elements that don't involve the aformentioned. That's why I kinda don't get it when people talk about how Kyle is a master at "scheming" receivers open and whatnot. The job of an offense is to stay a step ahead of the defense (and vice-versa). I don't think the objective here is to overrely on "athletes being athletes". This does not at all mean the entire immobile pocket QBs vs mobile QBs debate, but instead something more in the vein of a QB "understanding" what a defense is doing/trying to do before the snap, and confirming it post-snap OR understanding what actually is happening post-snap vs what they showed pre-snap, as opposed to maybe not necessarily grasping what the defense did after the snap and then trying to make up for it via scrambling, or maybe having way too much faith in your arm strength and accuracy and trying to fit in throws that you may swear are actually there.

Although I agree with what you've said, you're still failing to grasp what many others are.

The goal is to find players who excel BOTH within structure and outside of it if the play breaks down, you already said sometimes the D defense is one step ahead.

Jimmy is very good within structure, and very average outside of it (most of his interceptions happen when he ad-libs)

As it stands Trey hasn't proven to be great at either, but the signs show that when he develops he'll be great at both.

I want that development to start as soon as possible.

I don't know, JG looked pretty good playing playground ball back in 2017.

Why do we care about what he was good at in 2017? If your most recent example for claiming a player is good at something is 3-4 years ago, then he's probably not that good at it.

It's the easiest to recognize because he came into the organization and played with very little time in the system structure. I can post Jimmy's highlight vid again for you if you need a more recent refresher

I don't need to see Jimmy's highlight video. I'm a fan of his. Kyle has shown an ability to win games with him, and his release is elite.

My draft plan was to take Trey at 12 and sit him behind Jimmy a year. The more I've seen a read since then, mainly around his work ethic and football IQ has lead me to my position of getting him in early.

My belief is that Trey will overtake Jimmy's level before the end of the season, and therefore give us the best chance to win it all.

I will not cry about it if Jimmy starts.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Aug 17, 2021 at 9:15 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Trey, go!

Oh yeah..."accidentally." LOL
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Was it out of structure? Or was it just Kyle playing to his strengths?

The plays we remembered, a good chunk was off schedule.
so he made the OL better

He did get chased out of the pocket, or held the ball too long and was chased, etc. But he did make the plays so you could make that argument.

But the reality is NO QB transcends an OL. Some can simply mask it better than others and take the spotlight off them for their failures.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 17, 2021 at 9:24 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I wonder if we'll see Kyle throw in some option plays this week or whether he'll stick to the basics. Other than the one long pass play, most of Trey's plays were straight drops. There was no pocket to step into when the rush came. He did the right thing by protecting the ball and taking the sack. In a regular season game things might be different but he's not going to risk getting hurt trying to scramble in a pre season game.

I'm calling this right now. The first play of the year will be JIMMY GAROPPOLO on a RO for a positive gain. Tag this.

Panties will be dropped everywhere!

Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by grapesofrathman:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
It's literally 50/50 you could argue either way which type of QB is injured more than the other. But if you wanna talk what type of QB has more Super Bowl rings, most definitely the pocket passer!!!

That too will change over the next 20 years too.

God, can you imagine what football will be like in 20 years? LOL

To paraphrase Greg Cosell on one specific thing I've heard him say over the radio on KNBR: "structured football is and will continue to be forefront to a team's success"

By structure, we're talking game planning, scheme, and playcalling, and not so much random elements that don't involve the aformentioned. That's why I kinda don't get it when people talk about how Kyle is a master at "scheming" receivers open and whatnot. The job of an offense is to stay a step ahead of the defense (and vice-versa). I don't think the objective here is to overrely on "athletes being athletes". This does not at all mean the entire immobile pocket QBs vs mobile QBs debate, but instead something more in the vein of a QB "understanding" what a defense is doing/trying to do before the snap, and confirming it post-snap OR understanding what actually is happening post-snap vs what they showed pre-snap, as opposed to maybe not necessarily grasping what the defense did after the snap and then trying to make up for it via scrambling, or maybe having way too much faith in your arm strength and accuracy and trying to fit in throws that you may swear are actually there.

Although I agree with what you've said, you're still failing to grasp what many others are.

The goal is to find players who excel BOTH within structure and outside of it if the play breaks down, you already said sometimes the D defense is one step ahead.

Jimmy is very good within structure, and very average outside of it (most of his interceptions happen when he ad-libs)

As it stands Trey hasn't proven to be great at either, but the signs show that when he develops he'll be great at both.

I want that development to start as soon as possible.

Why do we care about what he was good at in 2017? If your most recent example for claiming a player is good at something is 3-4 years ago, then he's probably not that good at it.

It's the easiest to recognize because he came into the organization and played with very little time in the system structure. I can post Jimmy's highlight vid again for you if you need a more recent refresher

I don't need to see Jimmy's highlight video. I'm a fan of his. Kyle has shown an ability to win games with him, and his release is elite.

My draft plan was to take Trey at 12 and sit him behind Jimmy a year. The more I've seen a read since then, mainly around his work ethic and football IQ has lead me to my position of getting him in early.

My belief is that Trey will overtake Jimmy's level before the end of the season, and therefore give us the best chance to win it all.

I will not cry about it if Jimmy starts.

Great to hear

Teams will then call asking how many draft picks for Jimmy and John can just say

Then hopefully some team will give us a 2nd round pick for him.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Teams will then call asking how many draft picks for Jimmy and John can just say

Hell yes
  • thl408

Treyed Lance
Share 49ersWebzone