There are 228 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TownNiner:
Btw I think it's impossible to properly evaluate Trey Lance until its an even field. E.g. he's getting split reps with the 1sts.

It's not a huge shock that he's raw though, is it.

We're in a strange and imo unfounded situation.

I can't think of another team in our situation having a situation like this.

SB type of roster only picking so high because of insane key injuries during a covid season.
Still needed to trade an addition 2 1st round picks and a 3rd next year to get to 3rd and draft the kid QB
Still have the QB on your roster you went to the SB with just 2 years prior.

What team had a situation even close to this?

Drafting such a young but toolsy QB but you have a roster that can compete for the SB now.

When the Chiefs took Mahomes they were a playoff team but not a team everyone was thinking could make a serious push for the SB.

Kyle has a very tough decision in front of him and he's going to have to balance a couple of things in the process. Lance clearly needs snaps to be the best QB for us that he can be…but Kyle has to evaluate at what point do Jimmy's weaknesses create more of a competitive disadvantage for our team than Lance's inexperience might.

I'd love for Lance to keep improving every preseason game, showing improvement on things he didn't do well the game prior and hope he plays great vs the Chargers. But if Jimmy steps up to the competition and decides to be the Jimmy from 2017 with less turnovers, well then Trey will have to wait a bit and hope that Kyle can work him into game plans to help us win, help him learn but not create issues for us in the process for this season.
Are we going to ignore Chris Simms eval on Trey Lance??? Guess it's something people didn't want to hear.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/chris-simms-unbuttoned/id1454809704?i=1000532192253

from Simms.... "Trey has an amazing fastball. But every throw is a fastball. He hasn't learned how to drop it in behind the LBs with arc. He reminds me a bit of Kapernick when it comes to that".

mind you, this was his exact eval before the draft.

the guy needs to sit. He needs to learn the playbook. He needs to get better at situational football. And he needs to develop another pitch besides the fastball. Anyone thinking Trey is ready doesn't know football.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Are we going to ignore Chris Simms eval on Trey Lance??? Guess it's something people didn't want to hear.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/chris-simms-unbuttoned/id1454809704?i=1000532192253

from Simms.... "Trey has an amazing fastball. But every throw is a fastball. He hasn't learned how to drop it in behind the LBs with arc. He reminds me a bit of Kapernick when it comes to that".

the guy needs to sit. He needs to learn the playbook. He needs to get better at situational football. And he needs to develop another pitch besides the fastball. Anyone thinking Trey is ready doesn't know football.

Yes, we are. Or at least most of us are.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Warned you guys that all this excitement will create expectations....now most of you are being humbled

Don't worry..

This necessary?

My expectation hasnt changed. As soon as Kyle feels he is a starting caliber QB, he will start. And my opinion is that happens sometime in 2021.

I feel the same way but not if he plays the way he did this past Saturday. I wonder if Kyle is weighing the possibility on whether or not he can scheme wins with Lance for enough games to allow Lance to get comfortable and start controlling the offense.

But having said that, no rookie QB has ever won the SB. The ceiling of this team with Jimmy is SuperBowl win. History shows that is NOT the ceiling with a rookie QB.

I was with you until the bolded. Just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't.

The rookie QB never winning a Super Bowl so Lance can't perform better than Jimmy is the dumbest common take on this forum ATM.

Only this year, with this team, the ceiling for the success of this team is higher with Jimmy than it is with Lance. NOW, since the ceiling is the Super Bowl and not 6 wins, then the starter is a no brainer. NEXT year, the ceiling for the success of this team may be higher with Lance.

Even with your "only for this year" qualifier, it doesnt make what you are saying true. The idea that a rookie QB cant win a Superbowl is ridiculous. If we took this team and our rookie QB played at 2020 Justin Herbert level, can that team not win a Superbowl?
has a rookie won a SB ?

This is such a dumb take. Do better.
Lol let's make a bet this year. You got a rookie winning a SB right?

the rookie would need to start the majority of the regular season games
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 17, 2021 at 6:06 PM ]

Simms knows more about NFL QBing than most of us. You're allowed to keep your rose colored homer glasses on in you like but I'd rather know the truth.

im not down on Trey. I just want the guy to fine tune his skills before being thrown to the wolves. I guess people like you don't care about that.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
has a rookie won a SB ?

How many rookie Qbs we're put In the same situation as Lance?. Drafted by a team full of talent with good quality coaching to match. It's a young QB's dream.

The Oline coaching has not been crash hot

Simms knows more about NFL QBing than most of us. You're allowed to keep your rose colored homer glasses on in you like but I'd rather know the truth.

im not down on Trey. I just want the guy to fine tune his skills before being thrown to the wolves. I guess people like you don't care about that.
There has been at least 3 weeks and like 20 practices showing Lance making bucket throws. He even had one in the last preseason game for TD
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by TownNiner:
Btw I think it's impossible to properly evaluate Trey Lance until its an even field. E.g. he's getting split reps with the 1sts.

It's not a huge shock that he's raw though, is it.

We're in a strange and imo unfounded situation.

I can't think of another team in our situation having a situation like this.

SB type of roster only picking so high because of insane key injuries during a covid season.
Still needed to trade an addition 2 1st round picks and a 3rd next year to get to 3rd and draft the kid QB
Still have the QB on your roster you went to the SB with just 2 years prior.

What team had a situation even close to this?

Drafting such a young but toolsy QB but you have a roster that can compete for the SB now.

When the Chiefs took Mahomes they were a playoff team but not a team everyone was thinking could make a serious push for the SB.

Kyle has a very tough decision in front of him and he's going to have to balance a couple of things in the process. Lance clearly needs snaps to be the best QB for us that he can be…but Kyle has to evaluate at what point do Jimmy's weaknesses create more of a competitive disadvantage for our team than Lance's inexperience might.

I'd love for Lance to keep improving every preseason game, showing improvement on things he didn't do well the game prior and hope he plays great vs the Chargers. But if Jimmy steps up to the competition and decides to be the Jimmy from 2017 with less turnovers, well then Trey will have to wait a bit and hope that Kyle can work him into game plans to help us win, help him learn but not create issues for us in the process for this season.

Sensible post in a sea of chaos

I don't want to rush Trey either. That's why we kept Jimmy but Simms was dead wrong about Mac Jones and he had the whole Niner fan base with indigestion because of it

All except me because I thought we were getting Justin Fields all along

Glad we got Trey and kept Jimmy so we don't have to rush him out there after virtually a year off from football

It's not that we should ignore it, but it's hard to give too much weight to it when it has been contradicted by things we've seen with our own eyes during practice and in the preseason game.

That 80 yard TD pass looked nothing like a kaepernick rocket. Is he serious????????????????
the Kap to Vernon Davis fastball 50 yarder is wayyyy different than Lance's delivery lol wut
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
These are Jimmy's playoff numbers from 2019:

QB Rating: 75.3
Comp_Pct: 63.8%
Yards: 427
TDs: 2
TD Pct: 3.4
Ints: 3
Int Pct: 5.22
YPA: 7.4
YPG: 142

We don't think that Trey with 10-17 games of experience could at least replicate those numbers?
It's a shame that neither the Vikings or the Packers could stop the run.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:

We don't think that Trey with 10-17 games of experience could at least replicate those numbers?

Yep those stats don't mean much when we all know Kyle was calling the run game and not giving many passing reps to JG. Perhaps because Richberg was on IR and he knew pass protection was at the level to get JG killed?
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:

Would they have been more able to if, hypothetically, Lance was playing in those games?
Share 49ersWebzone