There are 232 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
The thing here Johnny is that you consistently talk about the high end of Jimmy's game. That's fine, I do too, grading the high end is important as it allows you to see what you can get.

However when you talk about Trey you grade the low end. You say that Trey this year would limit where this team can go, I completely disagree.

You know football, you know the 49ers, you know Kyle. Trey gives us a numbers advantage on every single run play. That alone when paired with our Defense is enough to get us a long way.

Kyle is seemingly going to use this regularly while starting Jimmy.

Jimmy is going to have to play at his high end to keep his job, it's as simple as that, and even then when Trey gets to his high end play with consistency again we'll roll with Trey.

It's because Jimmy will provide much more consistently high level play. Trey has potential but has a long ways to go.

I don't believe in robbing Peter to pay Paul, especially when we've seen what Jimmy and an offense can do when you have 2 starting quality receivers along with Kittle and Mostert. 2019 from Sanders on we were throwing for 275+ per game, great TD:INT ratio, over 32 PPG. Thats pretty freaking good.

If we put in Lance, yes we get a boost in the run game but make no mistakes we will lose a good bit of efficiency in the pass game. One thing Jimmy has shown, and you really can't argue against it in any way, is he is extremely efficient in the pass game.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Any word if Trey is throwing again?
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Treyscuses LOL

And that's what you say when you're wrong. Thanks for playing

not really, we just have a difference of opinion, time will tell who is right

True with what?
Just my .02. If people want Trey to look better then talk up Jimmy.

Think of it like professional wrestling. If someone really wants to get over, they'll build up their opponent.

Rock vs Stone cold, wrestlemania 19. Rock didn't come out in the weeks up to it and talk about how awful, trash and meh Austin was.

When he beat him, it wasn't with 1, it wasn't with 2 it was with 3 Rock Bottoms-because thats what it takes to take down the Texas Rattlesnake. That puts Rock over as the guy who beat the legend at Wrestelmania.

Then Cena beat the Rock.

Goldberg didn't become a legend when he beat Raven, he did when he beat Hogan at the Georgia dome.

If Trey beats out a very, very good Jimmy G, what does that say about Trey?

If Trey beats a, "meh" qb. What does that say about Trey?
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Think of it like professional wrestling. If someone really wants to get over, they'll build up their opponent.

Rock vs Stone cold, wrestlemania 19. Rock didn't come out in the weeks up to it and talk about how awful, trash and meh Austin was.

When he beat him, it wasn't with 1, it wasn't with 2 it was with 3 Rock Bottoms-because thats what it takes to take down the Texas Rattlesnake. That puts Rock over as the guy who beat the legend at Wrestelmania.

Then Cena beat the Rock.

Goldberg didn't become a legend when he beat Raven, he did when he beat Hogan at the Georgia dome.

This satire right? Please say this is satire.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Because the criticisms of Lance ignore the reality that the gap between him and Jimmy is small and it is shrinking. Not because Lance is great. Because Jimmy isn't.

People pretending like Lance starting would be any worse than 2020 Jimmy with his second worst INT% in the NFL (behind only Nick Mullens). The only way Jimmy is clearly and obviously better, as opposed to just a little better, is if Jimmy takes a big step forward.

So far in camp and preseason he has not.

I don't want to turn this into another Jimmy discussion but I can't help ask why you're bringing up 2020 Jimmy when the one and a half worth of games he was healthy he didn't turn the ball over at all?

And before people run in here to remind everyone that despite the lack of turnovers Jimmy wasn't lights out vs Arizona I will once again remind the same people he was out there with the 3rd string C and no Aiyuk or Deebo.

We need to trust Shanahan in doing what's best for the team and for Lance long term. We know Jimmy isn't a top tier QB which is why we drafted Lance to replace him but he's also not a total scrub so no need to paint him as such. I'd much rather Trey replace the best Jimmy Garoppolo vs the worst one.

IMO if Jimmy is healthy he can be a better QB than he was in 2019 which is certainly good enough to lead this team to wins.

I agree with most of this post. Where I don't agree is that while his 3.6 interception rate in 2020 was the worst he's ever had, his 2.7 interception rate in 2019 was 7th worst in the NFL. "Good Jimmy" is one of the worst in the league at protecting the football.

But yeah, I'd prefer Jimmy play like a Pro Bowler and keep Lance on the bench for most if not all of 2021.
Yall are being trolled by riverrunzthruit, and many can't see through it. He knows some here are insecure about Trey being compared in anyway possible to Kaepernick, and river dude is poking at those insecurities to f**k with yall to diss on Kap (and spew the same o'l recycled s**t many have been for years) while he laughs along and shows his true intentions regarding Trey here...

"I don't think Trey is a natural pure passer, just a great athlete that is learning how to throw the ball, and I think he will always struggle to throw the ball consistently to NFL standards, disappointing considering where we drafted him and what we gave up."

He already has his mind made up... anything else that comes off reasonable in past or future posts, is just to not come off too obvious.

And to others get the f**k out of here with Kap has no work ethic s**t... again keep trying rewrite history. If Kap wasn't good at his job or didn't work hard... no way would he be as successful as he has been in his NFL career. You can't change history or facts that are in NFL records. All you can do is make up s**t.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 7, 2021 at 2:07 PM ]
Originally posted by dhp318:
Pretty easy to have good mechanics in a t-shirt and shorts. It means jack s**t when you revert to dogs**t mechanics in a preseason game even after supposedly working on those mechanics for a full year

That's why you have to play football and get more confident in what you see…he's a pup, we know he's improved in his mechanics it's on film, when he knows where to go with the ball it's all there…when he's not sure and second guessing himself that's what he reverts back to how he threw the ball as a 19 yr old. I don't expect him to be a finished product right now, no one should.

the great thing is he's not old and those issues (not massive issues by the way) aren't ingrain into him yet….if people were expecting a pure pocket passing stud from day 1 then that's on them. He will improve as he gets more reps
just put a 7 on that jersey and that motion looks like Kap slinging it

Anyone claiming Trey's release is like Kap's has either never watched him or rides the short bus.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
twins

Outside the color of their skin and playing for the same team, in what ways are they twins?

passing mechanics

Your argument is literally dumb. Show us MOTION that proves your point, not screen shots. Seriously, this is the dumbest argument I've literally ever seen on this board.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I agree with this…and yes Zack had the best mechanics of all the prospects in this class without a doubt.

I thought Lance improved tremendously on his footwork from 2019 to the off season clips we saw. He just needs more reps and to get more confident in his reads, when he loses that confidence he reverts back into some of his bad habits. All the double clutching and not being in rhythm messes up that footwork while your in the pocket.

Pretty easy to have good mechanics in a t-shirt and shorts. It means jack s**t when you revert to dogs**t mechanics in a preseason game even after supposedly working on those mechanics for a full year

and this is what is most disappointing, for a QB drafted 3rd overall their passing skills shouldn't need fixing... nobody needs to fix the passing of Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Mac Jones because they are natural passers... no Treyscuses allowed

lol you are new at football. you'll learn that most QBs do fix mechanics once they get into the pros. guys like Allen, Pat, and even Rodgers had to fix their mechanics. Brees, Brady, all did the same thing. and i'm just throwing out some great QBs that had to do it. majority have to do this, and im sure those QBs listed are also gonna look different in a year or two from now.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
twins

Outside the color of their skin and playing for the same team, in what ways are they twins?

passing mechanics

Your argument is literally dumb. Show us MOTION that proves your point, not screen shots. Seriously, this is the dumbest argument I've literally ever seen on this board.

give him a break, he obviously just started watching football recently.

You guys overly-obsess over mechanics here. Alot of micromanagement. When the season starts tomorrow I suggest focusing alot more on results.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
This satire right? Please say this is satire.

Yeah I'm not following that logic either. Jimmy is Jimmy I don't need to talk him up or put him down at this pt anymore, he's got one yr left in SF and I hope he makes the most of it.

Trey is the future, kyle will use him to his strengths (like he's done with every QB) and develop him as we go. Took a QB who was raw like Lance (Josh Allen) 3 yrs to get to where he's at and that's with him starting right off the bat…people gotta have a little patience, but if Trey can figure it out this offense is gonna be f**king electric.

And whatever with the Kap stuff, dude was fun as s**t to watch, he just never got to that next level as a passer and really had other factors messing it all up. Lance imo is already a better passer than Kap. If Kyle can make Mullens have the 3rd most yards ever in a QBs first 16 games, I think Trey will be just fine. He just needs to play football.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Then Cena beat the Rock.

don't ever use wrestling in an analogy ever again. I'll pretend you never posted that. Love you, jd.
Share 49ersWebzone