There are 168 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He coulda said, to be the best you'd have to beat the best. Generic, but ...

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 7, 2021 at 2:44 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Like seriously, what kind of stupid s**t is this? Kap's wind up dropped WAY below his chest, stayed way outside, and took forever. Trey's is much more compact. Yeah, he has work to do, and yeah, sometimes that ball gets a bit low, but it's not like Kap's regularly was. Simply not the same.

No it's not and it's funny people are actually trying to say it's the same…it's clearly a bias take for whatever reason (beyond just football).

plenty of QBs drop the ball much lower, Wilson is one. Mahomes does it, so does Allen. When you have top end arm talent , you can get away with not having the tightest/most compact release. Fields is another one too.

I care more about the footwork and that's something that can be corrected.

Yeah I'm thinking it's something "beyond just football." We know what it is...

But seriously, I think I'll go with Panelli Passing Academy over random internet dumbass.

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Just my .02. If people want Trey to look better then talk up Jimmy.

Think of it like professional wrestling. If someone really wants to get over, they'll build up their opponent.

Rock vs Stone cold, wrestlemania 19. Rock didn't come out in the weeks up to it and talk about how awful, trash and meh Austin was.

When he beat him, it wasn't with 1, it wasn't with 2 it was with 3 Rock Bottoms-because thats what it takes to take down the Texas Rattlesnake. That puts Rock over as the guy who beat the legend at Wrestelmania.

Then Cena beat the Rock.

Goldberg didn't become a legend when he beat Raven, he did when he beat Hogan at the Georgia dome.

If Trey beats out a very, very good Jimmy G, what does that say about Trey?

If Trey beats a, "meh" qb. What does that say about Trey?
don't ever use wrestling in an analogy ever again. I'll pretend you never posted that. Love you, jd.

Lol. Think of it this way, do you want Trey to get the job cause he beat Tyrod Taylor or because he beat Tony Romo?

I just don't get the logic behind, "Jimmy sucks at 90% of quarterbacking, but I think he's average, but Trey should be starting at some point cause he's amazing, even though he couldn't beat a guy who sucks at 90% of quarterbacking".

That makes as much sense as me using a pro wrestling analogy. Hence why I did it.

#1....Hilarious. All along the theme was that Jimmy should naturally start the season (I mean he is being paid $20+Million),....before any preseason games. You were on board with that train of thought IIRC.

NOW that Jimmy has been announced as going to start game 1 we're going to go with the new narrative that Trey couldn't beat Jimmy out like it was ever an open competition? I and many others pronounced that we didn't want an open competition. But we do want Trey to eventually be good enough to snatch the job away because he's been drafted to be the future.

You seriously don't see your sudden shift given the latest news, do you? C'mon man!

#2....People believe Trey should be starting at some point because he's been improving quicker than expected (per Lynch), because they remember how Jimmy looked last year and expect that Jimmy is eventually going to Jimmy (inconsistency/injuries), and that by midyear and/or beyond, he'll be good enough to give us the best chance to win.

The future isin't guaranteed. Just as these thoughts about Trey aren't guaranteed, neither are the thoughts that Jimmy will be a consistently good player as you suggested.

The part in the bold is the part that for whatever reason you just don't want to acknowledge.
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 7, 2021 at 2:53 PM ]
This thread is pretty dam entertaining, We got a Kap troll and the worst wrestling analogies ever made
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Yeah I'm thinking it's something "beyond just football." We know what it is...

But seriously, I think I'll go with Panelli Passing Academy over random internet dumbass.

Yup I enjoy those YouTube convos, very informative and coming from a guy that's worked with Allen for yrs.
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
Me wishing we had Russell Wilson lol.

NEVER
Lol. Think of it this way, do you want Trey to get the job cause he beat Tyrod Taylor or because he beat Tony Romo?

I just don't get the logic behind, "Jimmy sucks at 90% of quarterbacking, but I think he's average, but Trey should be starting at some point cause he's amazing, even though he couldn't beat a guy who sucks at 90% of quarterbacking".

That makes as much sense as me using a pro wrestling analogy. Hence why I did it.

Wish we could have used that analogy with Jimmy, who'd he have to beat out, Hoyer? got a $100M deal after 5 games on top of it
Originally posted by random49er:

#1....Hilarious. All along the theme was that Jimmy should naturally start the season (I mean he is being paid $20+Million),....before any preseason games. You were on board with that train of thought IIRC.

NOW that Jimmy has been announced as going to start game 1 we're going to go with the new narrative that Trey couldn't beat Jimmy out like it was ever an open competition? I and many others pronounced that we didn't want an open competition. But we do want Trey to eventually be good enough to snatch the job away because he's been drafted to be the future.

You seriously don't see your sudden shift given the latest news, do you? C'mon man!

#2....People believe Trey should be starting at some point because he's been improving quicker than expected (per Lynch), because they remember how Jimmy looked last year and expect that Jimmy is eventually going to Jimmy (inconsistency/injuries), and that by midyear and/or beyond, he'll be good enough to give us the best chance to win.

The future isin't guaranteed. Just as these thoughts about Trey aren't guaranteed, neither are the thoughts that Jimmy will be a consistently good player as you suggested.

The part in the bold is the part that for whatever reason you just don't want to acknowledge.
Oooook. The point just flew way over your head. It's almost comical how much you missed the point.
Oooook. The point just flew way over your head. It's almost comical how much you missed the point.

No,....you just wanted it to fly over my head. You said that part of the logic people are using for Trey taking over this season includes him taking over for someone he couldnt beat out this offseason. That's what you just said, isin't it? That their logic is flawed since Trey failed to beat Jimmy out.

Well,...this is a new, fresh narrative,...fresh off of the Jimmy will start vs. Detroit news. But we haven't had this "may the best man win" train of thought before the new announcement. We were going with "Jimmy should start" weeks and weeks ago. Right? This is the 1 thing both of us agreed on (just like in Chicago w/Fields,...unless Jimmy was just flat out awful)

If you're now saying Jimmy "won" the starting job over Trey,...it's a clear shift with an obvious motive.
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 7, 2021 at 3:11 PM ]

Wish we could have used that analogy with Jimmy, who'd he have to beat out, Hoyer? got a $100M deal after 5 games on top of it

Duse, you should try taking some less bitter pills.

Think about what has to be true for Jimmy to be as bad as you say:
1. Kyle misevaluated and gave up a 2nd round pick for this guy, then turned around and will have paid him 110m by the end of this season.
2. Mullens and Beathard have to be the worst qb's by a mile, to lose so many more games than Jimmy.
3. For Kyle to believe Jimmy gives us a better chance to win, Trey has to be pretty bad and we gave up 3 first round picks for that guy.

That means we have to have one of the worst quarterback evaluating coaches in thr league, who on top of it, overpays by a mile for bad players.

I'd rather live in a more positive world where I believe Kyle is one of the best at what he does. The only way for that to be true is for Jimmy to actually be a pretty darn good qb who hasn't been able to stay on the field.
Originally posted by random49er:

No,....you just wanted it to fly over my head. You said that part of the logic people are using for Trey taking over this season includes him taking over for someone he couldnt beat out this offseason. That's what you just said, isin't it? That their logic is flawed since Trey failed to beat Jimmy out.

Well,...this is a new, fresh narrative,...fresh off of the Jimmy will start vs. Detroit news. But we haven't had this "may the best man win" train of thought before the new announcement. We were going with "Jimmy should start" weeks and weeks ago. Right?

It's a clear shift.

Please, point out a post where I ever said it was a competition. Those words haven't come out of my mouth, or fingers however you want to put it.

You're trying so hard to argue with me, it's hilarious. Almost as hilarious as I know you'll feel compelled to respond because you always have to have the last word in any back and forth.
Please, point out a post where I ever said it was a competition. Those words haven't come out of my mouth, or fingers however you want to put it.

You're trying so hard to argue with me, it's hilarious.

What's wrong with holding you accountable for what you're here saying? It's a discussion board. We're here to exchange thoughts.

The underlined here below,...since it's over my head, help me grasp it. Uninterested in the overall point,...just trying to understand the underlined sarcasm:

That being said,...if you don't feel that Trey was beat out by Jimmy,...what did the underlined part mean?
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 7, 2021 at 3:21 PM ]
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Originally posted by dhp318:
I agree with this…and yes Zack had the best mechanics of all the prospects in this class without a doubt.

I thought Lance improved tremendously on his footwork from 2019 to the off season clips we saw. He just needs more reps and to get more confident in his reads, when he loses that confidence he reverts back into some of his bad habits. All the double clutching and not being in rhythm messes up that footwork while your in the pocket.

Pretty easy to have good mechanics in a t-shirt and shorts. It means jack s**t when you revert to dogs**t mechanics in a preseason game even after supposedly working on those mechanics for a full year

and this is what is most disappointing, for a QB drafted 3rd overall their passing skills shouldn't need fixing... nobody needs to fix the passing of Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Mac Jones because they are natural passers... no Treyscuses allowed

lol you are new at football. you'll learn that most QBs do fix mechanics once they get into the pros. guys like Allen, Pat, and even Rodgers had to fix their mechanics. Brees, Brady, all did the same thing. and i'm just throwing out some great QBs that had to do it. majority have to do this, and im sure those QBs listed are also gonna look different in a year or two from now.
This simply is not true, nobody has fixed any passing mechanics in a major way with any of those players you mention, they are natural passers... Trey on the other hand has much to change, not sure it will happen
Duse, you should try taking some less bitter pills.

Think about what has to be true for Jimmy to be as bad as you say:
1. Kyle misevaluated and gave up a 2nd round pick for this guy, then turned around and will have paid him 110m by the end of this season.
2. Mullens and Beathard have to be the worst qb's by a mile, to lose so many more games than Jimmy.
3. For Kyle to believe Jimmy gives us a better chance to win, Trey has to be pretty bad and we gave up 3 first round picks for that guy.

That means we have to have one of the worst quarterback evaluating coaches in thr league, who on top of it, overpays by a mile for bad players.

I'd rather live in a more positive world where I believe Kyle is one of the best at what he does. The only way for that to be true is for Jimmy to actually be a pretty darn good qb who hasn't been able to stay on the field.

All I said was Jimmy is an avg starting QB on a good roster with a great play-caller. I think you need to calm down with the defending Jimmy at all cost stuff.

yes I think they gave Jimmy a massive contract very prematurely. Yes I think people are gauging how good Jimmy is vs a gypsy back up quarterback, a UDFA, and a career backup who most people didn't even think was draftable.

I have faith in Kyle, but everyone f**ks up…if he was the great QB evaluator we would be rocking Mahomes/Watson/Allen right now.

if he thought Jimmy was everything you think he is, they wouldn't have given up yrs of 1sts and made one of the biggest move up in SF draft history.

I was just talking about your analogy with Trey, where was that for Jimmy? Dude hasn't had any competition since he got here…

look I don't think he blows, I most certainly don't think he's a good as you do…which is a subjective take for both of us.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 7, 2021 at 3:51 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone