There are 190 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
like i said, if you can't see something that obvious, then you really don't know football yet. go learn it somewhat, and then come back with opinions.

Lol you show him exactly what he changed and a video blatantly discussing it
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
if the changes are night and day, they must be huge... so what are they? go ahead and watch the film, index it, and show me

Let me ask this: do you comprehend that even a slight physical change in mechanics can cause a huge result in the outcome of a pass? Do you understand the physics of your body in relation to where a ball goes and how accurately it gets where you want it to go?
Originally posted by frenchmov:
if the changes are night and day, they must be huge... so what are they? go ahead and watch the film, index it, and show me

Let me ask this: do you comprehend that even a slight physical change in mechanics can cause a huge result in the outcome of a pass? Do you understand the physics of your body in relation to where a ball goes and how accurately it gets where you want it to go?

yes I comprehend
Originally posted by NYniner85:
like i said, if you can't see something that obvious, then you really don't know football yet. go learn it somewhat, and then come back with opinions.

Lol you show him exactly what he changed and a video blatantly discussing it

that first comment in the video was spot on too.

i guess he is trolling at this point. obviously didn't even take 10 sec to watch the video, he responded as soon as i posted it. wish mods would enforce the trolling rules.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Sep 7, 2021 at 3:52 PM ]
i
Originally posted by dhp318:
I agree with this…and yes Zack had the best mechanics of all the prospects in this class without a doubt.

I thought Lance improved tremendously on his footwork from 2019 to the off season clips we saw. He just needs more reps and to get more confident in his reads, when he loses that confidence he reverts back into some of his bad habits. All the double clutching and not being in rhythm messes up that footwork while your in the pocket.

Pretty easy to have good mechanics in a t-shirt and shorts. It means jack s**t when you revert to dogs**t mechanics in a preseason game even after supposedly working on those mechanics for a full year

and this is what is most disappointing, for a QB drafted 3rd overall their passing skills shouldn't need fixing... nobody needs to fix the passing of Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Mac Jones because they are natural passers... no Treyscuses allowed

lol you are new at football. you'll learn that most QBs do fix mechanics once they get into the pros. guys like Allen, Pat, and even Rodgers had to fix their mechanics. Brees, Brady, all did the same thing. and i'm just throwing out some great QBs that had to do it. majority have to do this, and im sure those QBs listed are also gonna look different in a year or two from now.
This simply is not true, nobody has fixed any passing mechanics in a major way with any of those players you mention, they are natural passers... Trey on the other hand has much to change, not sure it will happen

once again, you are just completely clueless. Rodgers as one example completely changed the way he throws. Go watch his Cal highlights and now compare them to his current ones.

and Trey doesn't have much to change. learn the game first at least at an adequate level before you come in with just terrible opinions.

what exactly did Rodgers change that was major and significant?

alright, so you really can't answer my questions and you actually have no idea what you are talking about

that video was obviously too complicated.

start with this

if you really understood what you were talking about you could explain it in detail and you wouldn't have to refer to YT...
yes I comprehend

So what are we arguing about if you understand that mechanics (or lack thereof) are in reality miniscule physical things that end up dramatically altering the outcome of a pass?
yes I comprehend

So what are we arguing about if you understand that mechanics (or lack thereof) are in reality miniscule physical things that end up dramatically altering the outcome of a pass?

passing mechanics are important, and Trey doesn't have them in a sound way right now, and it is disappointing from a #3 pick because right now he is not a good passer.. not sure what you are arguing but that is my point
passing mechanics are important, and Trey doesn't have them in a sound way right now, and it is disappointing from a #3 pick because right now he is not a good passer.. not sure what you are arguing but that is my point

All I would say to that is he is going to learn or he will be a bust. No QB in history came into the league with 100% sound mechanics. The QBs who succeed are those willing to put in the time. So to make an accurate prediction on that you must take a look at things like work ethic, intelligence, etc. If you believe Trey is going to put in the time and has the intelligence to absorb what is being taught, then your conclusion must be he's only going to get better.

If you believe he's an idiot bum who can't learn, then you predict he will fail. We will know within a couple years!
I don't think Aaron Rodgers is a good example to cite because the changes made to his game weren't nearly as drastic. The Packers identified one giant issue in Rodgers' game that was the root of his mechanical/stiff play, and it was where he carried the ball. At Cal, Jeff Tedford had him hold the ball near his ear.

Mike McCarthy and the Packers lowered his carry down to his numbers. It allowed him to relax his shoulders, play loose and utilize his lower body more efficiently. Everything fell into place with one change.

Rodgers' mechanics left a lot to be desired when he first entered the NFL. He held the ball up by his ear as he surveyed the field, and his delivery was far from fluid. Many of these deficiencies were attributed to Jeff Tedford, Rodger's head coach at Cal. Tedford had a history of coaching quarterbacks who put up eye-popping numbers in college yet fizzled out in the NFL. Before the 2005 NFL Draft (where the Packers selected Rodgers with the 24th overall pick), one anonymous NFC scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Tedford-tutored quarterbacks were "too well-schooled. So mechanical. So robotic. I don't know if they become good pro players. I think Rodgers is in that same mold."

Once he arrived in Green Bay, former Packers head coach Mike McCarthy and former Packers quarterback coach Tom Clements went to work on Rodgers' mechanics. Perhaps most importantly, they gradually helped him hold the ball lower in the pocket. Eventually, Rodgers became comfortable holding the ball between the middle of his chest and his throwing shoulder. This allowed him to better recruit his lower half into throws, increasing his rotational power and making his delivery much more fluid.

Also, while it may be a "small" change, it took years for Rodgers to adjust to it. Motor patterns take thousands of reps to build. This is Aaron Rodgers in 2005 as a rookie. He still has that funky Jeff Tedford carry here after one camp with the Packers. It wasn't until his fourth year where he began to resemble the Aaron Rodgers we know.

Here's Aaron Rodgers in 2006. The high carry is still there.

2007 - still there but getting better

2008 is where he starts looking like the Aaron Rodgers we know.

[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 7, 2021 at 4:07 PM ]
All I said was Jimmy is an avg starting QB on a good roster with a great play-caller. I think you need to calm down with the defending Jimmy at all cost stuff.

yes I think they gave Jimmy a massive contract very prematurely. Yes I think people are gauging how good Jimmy is vs a gypsy back up quarterback, a UDFA, and a career backup who most people didn't even think was draftable.

I have faith in Kyle, but everyone f**ks up…if he was the great QB evaluator we would be rocking Mahomes/Watson/Allen right now.

if he thought Jimmy was everything you think he is, they wouldn't have given up yrs of 1sts and made one of the biggest move up in SF draft history.

I was just talking about your analogy with Trey, where was that for Jimmy? Dude hasn't had any competition since he got here…

look I don't think he blows, I most certainly don't think he's a good as you do…which is a subjective take for both of us.

I'm actually defending Kyle. But, whatever.

i

if you really understood what you were talking about you could explain it in detail and you wouldn't have to refer to YT...

You could start by looking at how high Rodgers held the ball in college, damn near by his ears. It was a technique common with Tedford QBs. It was convenient for that particular college offense but holding the ball up that high restricts a QBs ability to throw accurately on the move or to adjust their angle, not to mention limiting throwing power. It's one reason why Tedford QBs tend to be described as "robotic."

Beyond that, Rodgers was pure hot garbage in his first preseason. He looked completely lost in the sauce, eons away from being an NFL starter. He put in a whole lot of work to become the annoying prick..err MVP level passer he is today.

Or you know, just take it from Rodgers himself:

Rodgers: "When I first got into the league, I held the ball really high. That was the standard in college, and it messed up my timing a bit -- the draw, bringing it back, then the release... You're taught to get back as deep as you can, but you can never throw the ball out on time when you do that."
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Just my .02. If people want Trey to look better then talk up Jimmy.

Think of it like professional wrestling. If someone really wants to get over, they'll build up their opponent.

Rock vs Stone cold, wrestlemania 19. Rock didn't come out in the weeks up to it and talk about how awful, trash and meh Austin was.

When he beat him, it wasn't with 1, it wasn't with 2 it was with 3 Rock Bottoms-because thats what it takes to take down the Texas Rattlesnake. That puts Rock over as the guy who beat the legend at Wrestelmania.

Then Cena beat the Rock.

Goldberg didn't become a legend when he beat Raven, he did when he beat Hogan at the Georgia dome.

If Trey beats out a very, very good Jimmy G, what does that say about Trey?

If Trey beats a, "meh" qb. What does that say about Trey?

Actually Cena lost to the Rock in the first encounter but Rock put him over a year later.

Jimmy beat Trey this year so Jimmy will put Trey over next year.

PS, don't listen to the haters we need more wrestling analogies from you going forward.

All I would say to that is he is going to learn or he will be a bust. No QB in history came into the league with 100% sound mechanics. The QBs who succeed are those willing to put in the time. So to make an accurate prediction on that you must take a look at things like work ethic, intelligence, etc. If you believe Trey is going to put in the time and has the intelligence to absorb what is being taught, then your conclusion must be he's only going to get better.

If you believe he's an idiot bum who can't learn, then you predict he will fail. We will know within a couple years!

I hope he learns as well. But from my experience natural passers are born, it's a gift, and they can just do it with very little coaching of mechanics. I don't believe Trey has a passing gift, they can teach him all the proper mechanics and it won't make much of a difference in the end.
I hope he learns as well. But from my experience natural passers are born, it's a gift, and they can just do it with very little coaching of mechanics. I don't believe Trey has a passing gift, they can teach him all the proper mechanics and it won't make much of a difference in the end.

No context regarding who's in this club and who's not. It's just 100% based on who you say is and isin't. Doesn't give much to discuss.

Yes Master.
Share 49ersWebzone