LISTEN: Answering The Biggest 49ers Questions With Akash Anavarathan →

There are 236 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
i

if you really understood what you were talking about you could explain it in detail and you wouldn't have to refer to YT...

You could start by looking at how high Rodgers held the ball in college, damn near by his ears. It was a technique common with Tedford QBs. It was convenient for that particular college offense but holding the ball up that high restricts a QBs ability to throw accurately on the move or to adjust their angle, not to mention limiting throwing power. It's one reason why Tedford QBs tend to be described as "robotic."

Beyond that, Rodgers was pure hot garbage in his first preseason. He looked completely lost in the sauce, eons away from being an NFL starter. He put in a whole lot of work to become the annoying prick..err MVP level passer he is today.

Or you know, just take it from Rodgers himself:

Rodgers: "When I first got into the league, I held the ball really high. That was the standard in college, and it messed up my timing a bit -- the draw, bringing it back, then the release... You're taught to get back as deep as you can, but you can never throw the ball out on time when you do that."

Tedford coached his QBs to hold the ball up high like that so it would speed up the release, that was his theory anyhow. Rodgers holds it on the lower end now at the numbers, but he is as pure a passer as there is, and if you could look at his junior high tape (if that was possible) I'm guessing his overall delivery is similar to what it looks like today. I would not consider moving the ball from near your ear to level with the numbers a huge change in his mechanics.
I hope he learns as well. But from my experience natural passers are born, it's a gift, and they can just do it with very little coaching of mechanics. I don't believe Trey has a passing gift, they can teach him all the proper mechanics and it won't make much of a difference in the end.

That doesn't make sense. Lol it literally doesn't unless you are saying he is a complete idiot and mentally cannot determine where the ball should go or doesn't have the arm to get it there. If you are taught proper mechanics, and are consistent in proper mechanics, the only reason you would fail is if you can't mentally piece together where the ball should go.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "natural passing gift". Can you define what a natural passing gift is and what those that possess a " natural passing gift" actually have vs. those without a " natural passing gift"?
Originally posted by random49er:
I hope he learns as well. But from my experience natural passers are born, it's a gift, and they can just do it with very little coaching of mechanics. I don't believe Trey has a passing gift, they can teach him all the proper mechanics and it won't make much of a difference in the end.

No context regarding who's in this club and who's not. It's just 100% based on who you say is and isin't. Doesn't give much to discuss.

we can disagree on our opinions, I'm good with that... if you think Trey is a natural then cool

No context regarding who's in this club and who's not. It's just 100% based on who you say is and isin't. Doesn't give much to discuss.

we can disagree on our opinions, I'm good with that... if you think Trey is a natural then cool

Not so fast my friend...

Originally posted by frenchmov:

I'm not sure what you mean by a "natural passing gift". Can you define what a natural passing gift is and what those that possess a " natural passing gift" actually have vs. those without a " natural passing gift"?

Everyone awaits...
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 7, 2021 at 4:16 PM ]

Yall are too nice.

I think he's a natural throwing on the run and is more mechanical and clunky in the pocket. I saw improvement throughout the preseason. I still think Lance (with the inevitable bumps along the way as a rookie) gives the Niners the same or better change to win this game. He needs to work on his short distance passes with touch and get more consistency. I don't think he'll ever has as effortless a delivery as Rodgers or Zach Wilson, but he has a bigger arm than those guys. He actually reminds me a lot of a young Big Ben.
Originally posted by frenchmov:

That doesn't make sense. Lol it literally doesn't unless you are saying he is a complete idiot and mentally cannot determine where the ball should go or doesn't have the arm to get it there. If you are taught proper mechanics, and are consistent in proper mechanics, the only reason you would fail is if you can't mentally piece together where the ball should go.

Not saying Trey is an idiot whatsoever, on the contrary by all accounts he is an intelligent young man... I can teach you proper passing mechanics and you can learn them perfectly but that doesn't mean you will be able throw the ball like Trevor Lawrence (who is a natural passer imo).... some guys can just naturally throw the ball accurately with very little coaching and do this a very early age... it seems to be innate
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

I think he's a natural throwing on the run and is more mechanical and clunky in the pocket. I saw improvement throughout the preseason. I still think Lance (with the inevitable bumps along the way as a rookie) gives the Niners the same or better change to win this game. He needs to work on his short distance passes with touch and get more consistency. I don't think he'll ever has as effortless a delivery as Rodgers or Zach Wilson, but he has a bigger arm than those guys. He actually reminds me a lot of a young Big Ben.

perhaps, but if he was really a talented passer he would be making all the throws now and he can't...
perhaps, but if he was really a talented passer he would be making all the throws now and he can't...

Disagree. He's making all the throws like the best ever because he can.

he just can't do this in the games, so far

He has so far.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
All I said was Jimmy is an avg starting QB on a good roster with a great play-caller. I think you need to calm down with the defending Jimmy at all cost stuff.

yes I think they gave Jimmy a massive contract very prematurely. Yes I think people are gauging how good Jimmy is vs a gypsy back up quarterback, a UDFA, and a career backup who most people didn't even think was draftable.

I have faith in Kyle, but everyone f**ks up…if he was the great QB evaluator we would be rocking Mahomes/Watson/Allen right now.

if he thought Jimmy was everything you think he is, they wouldn't have given up yrs of 1sts and made one of the biggest move up in SF draft history.

I was just talking about your analogy with Trey, where was that for Jimmy? Dude hasn't had any competition since he got here…

look I don't think he blows, I most certainly don't think he's a good as you do…which is a subjective take for both of us.

I'm actually defending Kyle. But, whatever.

Hey man I don't want to get in another pissing match with you over Jimmy…I value your comments in here overall.

I do think you have some bias towards him end of the day.

also I defend Kyle in here all the time…even the best dudes get it wrong sometimes though.

He has so far.

we must be watching different games

He has so far.

we must be watching different games

You mean playing
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 7, 2021 at 4:34 PM ]
passing mechanics are important, and Trey doesn't have them in a sound way right now, and it is disappointing from a #3 pick because right now he is not a good passer.. not sure what you are arguing but that is my point

This is actually not true.
Share 49ersWebzone