Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 286 users in the forums

Head coaching candidates 2022

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
remember when dudes here wanted Lord Fangio as HC....

He still would have been a better HC than Tomsula but yeah it appears that his ceiling as a coach is pretty much DC.

for coaches like him you really need the GM and OC to do a good job

I think he is still a good HC but Elway failed miserablly to get a decent QB on the team he is obsessed with trying to get a big QB and has failed at getting a competant QB

Probably do a lot better if he had JG... well a HEALTHY JG.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

He still would have been a better HC than Tomsula but yeah it appears that his ceiling as a coach is pretty much DC.

I think he is still a good HC but Elway failed miserablly to get a decent QB on the team he is obsessed with trying to get a big QB and has failed at getting a competant QB

How Elway still has a job is beyond me, dude has whiffed almost ten times at getting their franchise QB.
Looks like Nagy is out. LINK
Originally posted by Overkill:
Looks like Nagy is out. LINK

His kicker missed a kick in the playoffs Nagy clowned all over him in the media seemed to take glee in firing him then set up these publicity stunts where everyone has to hit the same kick in practice. Don't really have any sympathy for him now it's his turn to get fired and hopefully some media types will let him have it on his way out. I mean I'm sure the kicker felt bad enough just missing the kick and I get if the club wants to move on. No need to clown the guy in the media on top of it. Classless move. What goes around comes around.
Not sure where this goes but good segment with Jeff Garcia this week on some podcast. He was basically talking about the Mooch years and how everything was building in the correct direction. Playoff game vs the Packers with prime Favre almost had em, then playoff win over Giants next year and lost to eventual champion Bucs. Garcia argued that all the momentum for the club stopped cold when they fired Mooch and rebooted. Guys are learning a new system and not really as sure of their assignments kinda starting from scratch and it all went down from there. He says coaching continuity, rather than just churning coaches every year or two is key. Something to keep in mind with these losing clubs which change head coach all the time.
Jags interviewing Bill O'Brien. I was gonna make a maybe we can trade a 4th rounder for the Jags best player joke if this happens but not sure if the Jags have any players.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Not sure where this goes but good segment with Jeff Garcia this week on some podcast. He was basically talking about the Mooch years and how everything was building in the correct direction. Playoff game vs the Packers with prime Favre almost had em, then playoff win over Giants next year and lost to eventual champion Bucs. Garcia argued that all the momentum for the club stopped cold when they fired Mooch and rebooted. Guys are learning a new system and not really as sure of their assignments kinda starting from scratch and it all went down from there. He says coaching continuity, rather than just churning coaches every year or two is key. Something to keep in mind with these losing clubs which change head coach all the time.

We know what that is like having had 8 head coaches in 15 seasons (2002-2017). A f**king turnstile we got stuck in.

So happy that we now have a good FO/HC and staff, and are no longer a part of the s**t show that is the yearly searching process.

I saw the same podcast and, in light of Garcia's sentiments, would like to have seen that group of coaches and players stay together a little longer.

Not so confident they would have achieved greatness had that group been kept together, but they certainly would have been better in the shorter term ('03 and '04).
Jags interviewing Bill O'Brien. I was gonna make a maybe we can trade a 4th rounder for the Jags best player joke if this happens but not sure if the Jags have any players.

I was about to post on this earlier this morning. If Khan wants his Jaguars franchise to continue sucking into the future he will retain Baalke as GM and then hire O-Brien to be HC.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:

We know what that is like having had 8 head coaches in 15 seasons (2002-2017). A f**king turnstile we got stuck in.

So happy that we now have a good FO/HC and staff, and are no longer a part of the s**t show that is the yearly searching process.

I saw the same podcast and, in light of Garcia's sentiments, would like to have seen that group of coaches and players stay together a little longer.

Not so confident they would have achieved greatness had that group been kept together, but they certainly would have been better in the shorter term ('03 and '04).

I was so pissed they let Mooch go in such a classless manner. Then again John York wasn't the sharpest tool in the football shed.

[

Josh Allen. It's our turn to get good players for nothing now I can't believe they'd interview Bill, but maybe I should.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:

I think we could've been Denver in the final years of Mike Shanahan. A team that will make the playoffs, contend for a division title. The team wouldn't have made a Super Bowl, but the floor of that squad was 8-8.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

How Elway still has a job is beyond me, dude has whiffed almost ten times at getting their franchise QB.

Elway's best bet is to make a move for Russell Wilson or Jimmy G. His ability/the Denver player personnel's evaluators ability to scout and draft a rookie QB has not done them any favors. Trade the 1st or 2nd for Jimmy and draft a rookie QB (good luck to Denver on that one) in the 3rd. Between Jimmy/Russell, Teddy (if retained), and a rookie QB, that's their best shot.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

[

Dan Quinn is a smart man for turning down the interview request.
Granted Greg Roman has his flaws, but given how long he has been in the league, has field some good offenses with very creative playcalling, I'm pretty sure he is connected enough to put together a good staff in all of his travels- both at the NFL level and at the college level. He's been around some interesting minds that have made their mark on the league, whether short or long term. I can't believe he isn't at least worth an interview.
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Jim gonna come back to nfl and scoop up Vic and Greg along the way
Originally posted by JMC52:
Jim gonna come back to nfl and scoop up Vic and Greg along the way

If that were to happen, why would Greg leave Baltimore for a lateral job? Doubt it would even be allowed.
Share 49ersWebzone