There are 275 users in the forums

Head coaching candidates 2022

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
In a way Saleh oddly helps us here cuz he was poached and just wrapped a 4-13 campaign. Granted I didn't expect much other than this from the Jets, that was a multi year rebuild but he's 42 and spent 4 years as DC. Ryans is 37 and has been a DC for 1 year. It would be an awfully green hire.

By saying out in front I'm saying most clubs would have these guys in front of Ryans in terms of the old fashioned rolodex so to speak. Meaning they would contact these guys and interview before they would Ryans.

As far as the retread argument I don't think that's much a factor. See for instance Bill Belichick.

Yeah I really doubt that. No one is kicking down doors to give Vance Joseph or Dennis Allen another HC opportunity. These guys are former HC's for a reason. Some former coaches may have gotten bad circumstances to deal with but the ones you mentioned in particular were clearly in over their heads. They are perfectly fine where they are at.

If the 49ers were looking for a head coach right now and your choices were those other guys to go along with someone like Ryans and some other young assistant coaches that have never been HC previously, are you rolling with the failed retreads or hoping to strike gold with someone fresh?

If Ryans is poached it would be the most bs thing to happen in terms of 49er poaching since the McCarthy/Norv Turner bs. Speaking of McCarthy here we go McCarthy vs Ryans.

Also involved here is Kellen Moore. He's one of the greatest college QBs of all time. He went 50-3 as college QB. You can win 12 games a year for 4 years and not get 50 wins. Amazing. He's the Dallas OC.
Mike Tomlin and Brandon Staley being perfect examples. Tomlin was a DC for one year, completely killed the interview and ended up getting hired ahead of much more established candidates. Same thing with Staley. And right now, being a young coach is especially way in.

Certainly possible. Hard to imagine he gets the call over Bienemy or Leftwich though.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Mike Tomlin and Brandon Staley being perfect examples. Tomlin was a DC for one year, completely killed the interview and ended up getting hired ahead of much more established candidates. Same thing with Staley. And right now, being a young coach is especially way in.

Certainly possible. Hard to imagine he gets the call over Bienemy or Leftwich though.

Leftwich makes a lot more sense. I can't get on board with a HC where I don't know exactly what role he fills in the org. It would be one thing if he were say a QB Coach. But we'll see. If Bienemy can put together a good staff (and he's on a very strong coaching tree to begin with), then he should do fine. But I prefer the Leftwich path to being a head coach.

Staley got the call over Bieniemy last year.

I think the love for Bieniemy is higher in the NFL media than it is in actual NFL circles. You have an OC that doesn't call plays, who is working for a top tier offensive HC on an offense that has incredible talent and there's really no way to tell just how good he is and how much he's contributing.

Leftwich is a whole other matter since he's a former QB and now an OC who does call plays for a very successful offense, even if its one featuring the GOAT but he also had success calling plays for Jameis Winston.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
My predictions updated:

Raiders - Bisaccia (LV HC)
Broncos - Kellen Moore (DAL OC)
Jaguars - Leftwich (TB OC)
Vikings - Beiniemy (KC OC)
Bears - Harbaugh (MICH HC)
Dolphins - Doug Pederson (former PHI HC)

You don't think Flores gets a gig?

Staley got the call over Bieniemy last year.

I think the love for Bieniemy is higher in the NFL media than it is in actual NFL circles. You have an OC that doesn't call plays, who is working for a top tier offensive HC on an offense that has incredible talent and there's really no way to tell just how good he is and how much he's contributing.

Leftwich is a whole other matter since he's a former QB and now an OC who does call plays for a very successful offense, even if its one featuring the GOAT but he also had success calling plays for Jameis Winston.

KS had this problem and left to HOU to forge his own reputation away from MS
I dont get why people think Harbaugh would go to Chicago.
That organization treated him like s**t. He was a good player at Indy not Chicago. There is no way he would go there.

It would have to be a premier destination. The only ones he would entertain right now would be Raiders from the available slots.I dont see him going anywhere else.
Originally posted by Crown:
My predictions updated:

Raiders - Bisaccia (LV HC)
Broncos - Kellen Moore (DAL OC)
Jaguars - Leftwich (TB OC)
Vikings - Beiniemy (KC OC)
Bears - Harbaugh (MICH HC)
Dolphins - Doug Pederson (former PHI HC)

You don't think Flores gets a gig?

Like most Belichick hires that get canned it's back to the Pats most likely for now. A lot of clubs narrow in on candidates in December. Most clubs probably didn't narrow in on him as he was a surprise fire imo.
Jerry gonna fire McCarthy and hire Kellen Moore
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Watch Harbs bring in Alex Smith as a QB coach.

I wonder if he'd consider letting someone else call plays and maybe bringing in a guy like Mike Kafka from KC to be the OC.

He should hand over the offense to someone else. Because there are more guys better than him at it. Or maybe he hasn't learned from his stint with the Niners.

harbaugh did a great job here

he was fired because the 49ers had to choose between harbaugh and baalke and we chose baalke a decision i was against from when it happened

He did a very good job, but the issue wasn't so much Harbs or Baalke, it's because he refused to fire Greg Roman, and his vanilla ass offense, but yes Jed f**ked up at the time, but, I'd rather have Kyle & John over Harbs & Baalke or anyone else, I loved Harbs, but he's a jackass, he's a hot head, and is an egomaniac.

Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
That organization treated him like s**t. He was a good player at Indy not Chicago. There is no way he would go there.

It would have to be a premier destination. The only ones he would entertain right now would be Raiders from the available slots.I dont see him going anywhere else.

The issue was largely Mike Ditka and he's not around anymore.
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:

The issue was largely Mike Ditka and he's not around anymore.

JH seems to respect the game loves competition. The appeal of coaching a major club, in a big city, with great history, having worn the uni. I could see a guy with his intensity calling Soldier Field home. He paired well with mobile QBs Alex Smith and CK. Would be a natural to get the most out of Justin Fields. A logical fit would be installing Fangio as DC he also knows the club and the city.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Fingers crossed these scrub franchises stay away from Demeco. He has been more important than Saleh was. What he has done with Fred Warner, Greenlaw, Azeez, Marcell is remarkable, also with Demetrius F. Demeco and Kocurek are the main gears of this defense don't want neither to leave.

If he keeps this up, he'll be gone sooner rather than later. If some team wants to hire him like the Chargers did with Staley and the 49ers have a shot at bringing back Fangio, who likely wouldn't be going anywhere long-term, I'm okay with that.

I would love Fangio if Ryans left. I just hope if Ryans leaves that Shanahan doesn't bring in a DC who runs the 3-4. I love our defense and would love to stay with whats been working.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I would love Fangio if Ryans left. I just hope if Ryans leaves that Shanahan doesn't bring in a DC who runs the 3-4. I love our defense and would love to stay with whats been working.

Ryans wont get HC offers at least for another year maybe 2
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Ryans wont get HC offers at least for another year maybe 2

I'd actually be happy if he just stayed the 49ers DC but no way that happens.
Share 49ersWebzone