Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 241 users in the forums

Head coaching candidates 2022

Shop 49ers game tickets
haha

I'd take Lovie Smith over Josh McCown too. That's actually a good by them.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by evil:
Yup, this cycle. But how many in other cycles? Chicago chose Matt freaking Eberflus over Leftwich, and nobody here in Chicago actually believes that was really a Ryan Poles hire.

What is wrong with Eberflus?

Eberflus has been a pretty hot name the last 2 cycles and it seemed like he would eventually get an opportunity as a HC. None of the fans or even local media and talking heads are sitting in on these interviews so hard to know who truly impresses and who doesn't and how each candidates went.

So Leftwich and Bieniemy need better interviewing skills? I can tell you there's a lot of mad folks here about that hire. Many here (not me) thought they'd hire Leftwich. When Eberflus was announced the Chicago twitter-vers went nuts.

Nothing "wrong" with Eberflus. It's just the Bears needed an offensive minded HC who could come in and develop Justin Fields. You had one of the top offensive minds in your building who called plays in a SB win last season. The defense wasn't the issue with the Bears last season. It was the offense.

Eberflus hired Richard Hightower to coach special teams. Good for us. Bad for them.

The Saints should take the good fortune and go Leftwich. It'll be a massive rebuild, but you can keep the offense humming in the meantime.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

I never would've hired Culley but based on what he did, I would've liked to have seen him get two more seasons.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I never would've hired Culley but based on what he did, I would've liked to have seen him get two more seasons.

Yeah he wasn't even remotely the reason they were so bad.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Yeah he wasn't even remotely the reason they were so bad.

they had the worst roster by far how many players on that team start for any other team? only player i can think of is Brandon Cooks
Originally posted by Jcool:

Which is exactly why McCown will get the job. They are not interested in hiring a Black coach no matter how well qualified he is. And if they do hire a Black coach I guarantee you that he'll have no power at all to truly run the team. He won't control the draft, the 53, and will be pressured on who starts.

[ Edited by rockzz on Feb 7, 2022 at 9:29 AM ]
Looks like it's gonna be Lovie Smith.

https://www.nfl.com/news/texans-lovie-smith-head-coach-hire

I promise you they didn't want to do that. From what I've been reading they really wanted McCown, but they didn't want the blowback.
Which is exactly why McCown will get the job. They are not interested in hiring a Black coach no matter how well qualified he is. And if they do hire a Black coach I guarantee you that he'll have no power at all to truly run the team. He won't control the draft, the 53, and will be pressured on who starts.

I promise you they didn't want to do that. From what I've been reading they really wanted McCown, but they didn't want the blowback.

Dude pick a lane.
One thing about Bieniemy I didn't realize he has an arrest record. Looks like 5 different incidents over a 14 year period resulting in suspended license, being banned from a college campus for a year, community service and DUI.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Dude pick a lane.

I'm in the right lane. I promise you that they really didn't want to make this move. I bet you rent money that they likely was pressured to not hire who they really wanted. And I bet Lovie will have very little power to do much of anything.

And I see the owners are still avoiding Eric Bieniemy and Byron Leftwich. Bieniemy had a long interview with the Saints. They need to hire him. Not holding my breath though.
Share 49ersWebzone