Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 238 users in the forums

Head coaching candidates 2022

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Chris Collinsworth was talking about Byron Leftwich last week and wondering why he didnt get head coaching calls. Whoever was in the booth said that maybe it was because he had Brady as his quarterback. Collinsworth said "tell that to Bill O Brien, Charlie Weiss, and Josh McDaniels"

Awkward silence...

Besides dude has 5000+ yards with Jameis "Eat a W" Winston. I understand he has Brady and Arians but if anything that's a plus. He's seen how HOF guys do it day and day out. For the Jags when he has worn the uniform it makes too much sense they need a QB in Lawrence's ear too.

He deserves an interview at least. But I don't agree with the group think that Leftwich must be the HC for JAX. There are plenty of strong candidates to become head coach, and plenty of them are POC candidates.

I think he's just a strong candidate overall. Former NFL QB that didn't just get handed a primo position on a coaching staff, he had to work his way up, starting as a low level assistant before moving up to QB coach, OC and now calling his own plays. Bruce Arians, who is a pretty accomplished playcaller in his own right, felt comfortable in handing over the reins to Leftwich, to me that speaks volumes. Any HC candidate can flop but I'll roll the dice on a former QB, who has coached the position and has ran his own offense anytime.
The Bears might retread another former KC OC, Doug Pederson...
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Tomsula to Jags to right the ship to their Lombardi next year.

would be a wet dream.
Live look at the top head coaching candidates this year
Dennis Allen coached his way into the convo.
I know 49ers fans hate him... But Greg Roman got Huntley to 288 total yards and 4 TDs last week and now this week Josh Johnson is 6/8 for 58 yards & a TD early against the Bengal's. Wouldn't be surprised if someone interviewed him.
Pederson is the top candidate I dont see anyone else with his credentials.
Teams with Star Rookie and second year QB's shouldnt hire Rookie Head Coaches
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
Originally posted by GEEK:
There's going to be a ton of openings this year: LV, JAX, CHI, MIN, HOU, DEN, CAR, NYG, and SEA positions could all be open this year.

I wouldn't include DEN there. They are doing wonders with a mediocre squad, even with a chance to get into the playoffs

I wouldn't either. I honestly think Denver should be in the Jimmy Garoppolo sweepstakes. They need a competent QB. Jimmy checks that box. They will not be in position to draft a top QB. Will any QB be worth it based on their draft position? They also could re-sign Teddy Bridgewater, but I think Jimmy could do more for the team. There's also Deshaun Watson. But then there's the Deshaun Watson situation. A weak QB class is the best thing that could've happened for the 49ers and Jimmy. I'm glad they didn't go with my idea I would've taken Rashawn Slater and waited until this year to make the aggressive trade for a QB if Jimmy didn't get it done. Obviously Slater is a homerun pick, but we would've been f'ed on the QB front. Denver can't afford to be passive about this and in particular Vic Fangio. He needs a QB like yesterday. The defense is already there. They don't have nearly the dominating run game however, but they can make that shift.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I'm betting they will avoid the college ranks next time around. If I'm Jax, I'm looking in state to a former Jag QB, Byron Leftwich. Just makes way too much sense.

Young and hungry coaches. I thought the guy in Cincinnati, Kingsbury, and Vrabel would fall on their faces but I was wrong. Let the younger guys have their chances. In some ways they may be more relatable to the NFL players of today. And most of them are willing to grind for their success.

I definitely thought Zac Taylor and Kingsbury would be flops. However, everything is better with a franchise QB and both of those coaches were fortunate enough to get two really good ones early in their careers. Arizona has also AGGRESSIVELY added talent and has been aided by the good fortune of the Houston front office conspiring to help them. The playoff run the Cardinals make will be very telling as well as seeing if Cincinnati and Arizona can sustain the winning next year. I had no doubts about Vrabel.
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by JustinMT:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
That's completely stupid. Urban Meyer is a good football coach. You can't give him less than 1 year. Have some patience. I believe Jimmy Johnson was 1 - 15 with Troy Aikman the first year. Stupid owner Kahn. I'm not surprised he loses every year no matter who he hires. He's almost as stupid as the Yorks. Build another hot tub at the stadium and maybe the fans will come and watch more losing seasons. LOL.

What? 1st year head coaches don't usually have themselves dipped in controversy from the start of their hiring. Urban has from essentially day 1. He's been a distraction, he has been engulfed in turmoil with coaches and players on that team; especially, lately. He had to go. The guy lacks a moral compass and common sense, and hopefully he's done coaching for good. After his stints in Florida, Ohio State, and now Jacksonville, it's pretty clear what kind of person he is.

A winning football coach? He wins everywhere he goes. He'd win here too if they gave him enough time. Dancing with a girl in a bar. LOL. So what?
Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Not necessarily the worst idea. I think every coach should be able to articulate why they are in the building and what they bring to the table. What makes this kinda odd is Meyer is in charge of putting the staff in place. If they are indeed terrible, welp, you picked em dude.
It may likely have cost me my job, but my response would've been "ask the person who hired me." At that point, you'd have to think Urban was going to be fired anyway. so an assistant coach's job is as good as gone anyway. We knew Urban would fail, but this is all-time bad.

Originally posted by Jcool:
I know 49ers fans hate him... But Greg Roman got Huntley to 288 total yards and 4 TDs last week and now this week Josh Johnson is 6/8 for 58 yards & a TD early against the Bengal's. Wouldn't be surprised if someone interviewed him.

Honestly, I think Greg Roman should be given an interview. He's had some top notch and interesting offenses for years. Why not? There's a dearth of candidates anyway- likely to be more jobs available than attractive candidates. I don't think Greg Roman has even interviewed for the head coaching position. I say give it a shot. He's got knowledge of the pro game, he's been around a long time, so he should have some extensive connections in terms of putting together a staff, and I think his extensive past could help him (has connections to both Harbaughs, Fangio, Dom Capers, Brian Billick, etc). Between all those guys, he should be able to get experienced as well as up and coming coaches.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Yeah great choice as Byron has worked wonders with that QB they picked up a year ago.

They are just going to interview everyone

Share 49ersWebzone