There are 198 users in the forums

WR-Danny Gray-SMU, 3rd round 2022 NFL Draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
We sometimes get too wrapped up in what round the players were selected. Nealy half the NFL rosters are made up of free gents and undrafted players. I found this data on Pro Football Reference.
16.7% never play for the team that drafted them
37% were considered useless
15.3% were considered poor
10.5% were average
12.3% were considered good
6.9% were great
1% were legendary

About 16% of 3rd rounders became starters for 3 years or more. Fro 5th rounders it was about 5%.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
We sometimes get too wrapped up in what round the players were selected. Nealy half the NFL rosters are made up of free gents and undrafted players. I found this data on Pro Football Reference.
10.5% were average
6.9% were great
1% were legendary

About 16% of 3rd rounders became starters for 3 years or more. Fro 5th rounders it was about 5%.

Using those figures 20% of players drafted are above average and #s plummet by round. But yet there are some posters on here who think we should be drafting starters in every round.
Originally posted by miked1978:
10.5% were average
6.9% were great
1% were legendary

Using those figures 20% of players drafted are above average and #s plummet by round. But yet there are some posters on here who think we should be drafting starters in every round.

That's why I posted this. Fans for every team want all the draft picks to work out. They expect 2 or 3 really good players from every draft. The numbers show that it's not reality. The really good teams don't have a lot of roster spots open and they draft so late that it lowers the chances of them getting a star to fill that one spot they may need.
Good luck Danny. you will be missed. Not by me...... so much. I'm sure somebody will miss you
Originally posted by hummbabybear_1:
3rd Round Picks in the Lynch/Shanahan regime. One amazing pick, one special teams starter and a few who may not be with the team in 2024 (Thomas, Gray, Latu).
  • Ahkello Witherspoon
  • C.J. Beathard
  • Fred Warner
  • Tarvarius Moore
  • Jalen Hurd
  • Trey Sermon
  • Ambry Thomas
  • Tyrion Davis-Price
  • Danny Gray
  • Ji'Ayir Brown
  • Jake Moody
  • Cameron Latu
  • Dominick Puni

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/draft-trend-danny-gray-cameron-latu-john-lynch/1774791/

I wonder where Cam gets his ideas...
10.5% were average
6.9% were great
1% were legendary

Id love to know what posters think teams are hitting in every round.
Jon Lynch sucks at drafting on day 2.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

And day 1 lol
This guy hasnt signed with anyone yet, shocking
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

And day 1 lol

And somehow has a top roster. They must be going 2000 Washington Redskins with free agent signings to be this good.

Originally posted by the_dynasty:

I'm old enough to remember when people thought the Chiefs would pick him up.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:

Maybe he's being picky... but yeah he just worked out for the Eagles.

10.5% were average
6.9% were great
1% were legendary

We must have the highest 5th round hit rate in the league.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
And somehow has a top roster. They must be going 2000 Washington Redskins with free agent signings to be this good.

Holy hell I remember that huge spending spree Snyder went on. Ruined a good team that nearly made the 99 NFCCG. I think they opened 2000 with the second or third best odds for SB35.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
10.5% were average
6.9% were great
1% were legendary

Agree 💯%, and I read a Jerry Rice quote that pretty much anybody playing in the NFL has the requisite physical ability to play in the NFL. The difference between those that get cut and those that make All Pro is the mental side/motivational side of the equation. You look at Dante Pettis vs Aiyuk and you can see the mental differences.
Share 49ersWebzone