There are 310 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by raywm3:
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
interesting feedback from Sherm

Very interesting. One thing he mentioned that's gone through my head a little is Wilks being in the booth and not on the field. I always thought being in the booth would be better but that one-on-one with the players is missing. Demeco and Saleh would get fired up on the sidelines and greet his players as they came off the field which in turn would fire up the players. There was a higher level of energy that I think was contagious.

We're not winning with Wilks as DC. This defense has too much talent to look this bad. Sadly, I doubt that Shanny will fire him. I predict that Shanny will look to save face and hold on to him. Look for Shanny to force Wilks from the booth. Sherm mentioned taking away play-calling duties. Well, you might as well fire him if that's the case. There's no need to keep him around if he can't call plays (which, he' should NOT be calling plays).

This was a bad hire. He's not a good fit for this team. Whatever "SB window" we had it was doomed the minute Wilks was hired. He's a DB coach, not a DC. And even then our defensive backfield hasn't looked this bad in quite some time, and this is what Wilks is supposed to specialize in.

From what I hear, players are questioning his play calling. I heard the same thing about Wilks when he was in Arizona. I think this was Shanny being too cute (again) with this hire. I think that Shanny was thinking that, with the talent on defense, no coach could get this wrong. Wilks would come in, dominate with this defense, then Wilks would get hired as HC somewhere, and we'd get yet another 3rd round compensatory pick for loosing another minority hire. To be honest, I don't necessarily disagree with that approach if there wasn't anyone from within to promote. From what I hear Kocurek don't wanna be DC. But you mean to tell me that Daniel Bullocks (6 seasons with the 49ers) or Johnny Holland (also 6 seasons with the 49ers) couldn't do the job? Or, is it that they just don't want it (which, to me, would speak volumes).

I don't know what the answer is, but it isn't Wilks.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
^^^^^Daniel Bullocks or Johnny Holland should've got the job. And I would've been more than happy that they did.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
We're not winning with Wilks as DC. This defense has too much talent to look this bad. Sadly, I doubt that Shanny will fire him. I predict that Shanny will look to save face and hold on to him. Look for Shanny to force Wilks from the booth. Sherm mentioned taking away play-calling duties. Well, you might as well fire him if that's the case. There's no need to keep him around if he can't call plays (which, he' should NOT be calling plays).

This was a bad hire. He's not a good fit for this team. Whatever "SB window" we had it was doomed the minute Wilks was hired. He's a DB coach, not a DC. And even then our defensive backfield hasn't looked this bad in quite some time, and this is what Wilks is supposed to specialize in.

From what I hear, players are questioning his play calling. I heard the same thing about Wilks when he was in Arizona. I think this was Shanny being too cute (again) with this hire. I think that Shanny was thinking that, with the talent on defense, no coach could get this wrong. Wilks would come in, dominate with this defense, then Wilks would get hired as HC somewhere, and we'd get yet another 3rd round compensatory pick for loosing another minority hire. To be honest, I don't necessarily disagree with that approach if there wasn't anyone from within to promote. From what I hear Kocurek don't wanna be DC. But you mean to tell me that Daniel Bullocks (6 seasons with the 49ers) or Johnny Holland (also 6 seasons with the 49ers) couldn't do the job? Or, is it that they just don't want it (which, to me, would speak volumes).

You've been calling him out for weeks now...you were right the whole time.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
^^^^^Daniel Bullocks or Johnny Holland should've got the job. And I would've been more than happy that they did.

If we fire Wilks this week and promote one of them, I'll consider that a win!
Has he been fired yet?

100%
The players aren't buying what Wilks is selling. It will only get worse. He needs to go.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

If we fire Wilks this week and promote one of them, I'll consider that a win!

👍
Should (or can we) go back to a 4-3?

Before w/Saleh & Ryans
4-3-4.
DL Defensive front was wide vs crashing tight to the center.
LBs We used Azeez Al Shahir who helped stopped the run, could drop back, or add pressure on the QB.
CBs The corners did a combination of press man on one side and zone on the other with the safeties playing high and helping on one side.

With Wilks now
4-2-5
DL. Defensive front plays tight towards the center vs wide, isc this why Bosa has no room to do anything but bull rush ?

LBs. It's just Fred and Dre doing everything. Really asking a lot from the 2 of them to be everywhere.

CBs - With 5 DBs you would think we would have doubled their best guys but the zone we stick them in every time has become predictable. Other teams know exactly where to beat this. Oliver is a good open field tackler and good against bigger/slower receivers or TEs. Not against shifty fast WRs.

There's the bye week to fix things. Wilks has to make a move because doing the same and hoping for a different result is insanity. Does he put in Burks at LB and change the entire D, which should be doable since everyone has played it before? Can one of the rookie LBs step in and contribute ?

Any of my observations above, feel free to correct.
Originally posted by TyCore:

You've been calling him out for weeks now...you were right the whole time.

One of the main problems I have with Wilks is the talent he inherited. When Saleh took over we lost key rotational guys, but Saleh was able to scheme around it with new rotational guys. Then we lost Saleh and key rotational guys. But Ryans stepped in with new rotational guys and was able to keep the defense dominant. Like Saleh and Ryans, Wilks inherited the same the same core guys - Warner, AA, Bosa, Greenlaw, Ward, Huf - with new rotational guys, yet it seems as if Wilks is coaching a bunch of rookies. This is inexcusable.

I've mentioned this before: I have been a football coach for quite some time now. Even I can see the pre-snap coverages, so I can imagine how easy it is for NFL QB's and OC's getting paid millions of dollars to identify. There's no creativity with the front 4 rush, something Saleh excelled at and Ryans continued. Personally, I think Wilks isn't knowledgeable on how to utilize the wide 9 scheme, which is a big reason why I said this was a bad hire. I honestly think that Shanny thought that, with Wilks' years of experience and his expertise with DB's and coverages, that Wilks would have no problem picking up the wide 9 scheme and marring it with his coverage expertise. If that was the case then this was a monumental failure on Shanny's part, and that failure should not survive the bye week. If it does, then we can forget about this "SB window" we keep talking about. We won't even make the PO.

Wilks needs to go NOW!!

Just because they're in the building doesn't mean they're good candidates. When you promote guys just because they're next man up, that is how you end up with a Hostler. Not only did those guys not get DC interest from the 49ers, they didn't get DC interest from anyone else across the NFL.

Firing Wilks just to replace him with a first time DC that might not even be qualified for the job in the first place is just shuffling chairs on the Titanic.

The only way I think you can justify moving off of Wilks is if you replace him with someone experienced and proven, otherwise you ride it out with him this year and dump him after the season is over.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by DrEll:
Shanahan will not get rid of Wilks. And I'm willing to bet he retains him next year as well. Which may spell the beginning of the end of the Kyle Shanahan era in San Francisco. And 8 years with no SB win to show for it with a loaded roster…..GOOD RIDDANCE !

I'm not convinced Kyle has what It takes to fire his DC mid-season, but there's zero chance he returns for another year.

the man spent 3 ones on Lance and traded him mid rookie contract
to Dallas

3 first's for a guy who had little experience, then trades him because of BP little win streak the previous season.

Kyle also stuck with JG for a good 5 years before moving on.

Don't be surprised If the 9ers stick with Wilks for the rest of the seasons.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Just because they're in the building doesn't mean they're good candidates. When you promote guys just because they're next man up, that is how you end up with a Hostler. Not only did those guys not get DC interest from the 49ers, they didn't get DC interest from anyone else across the NFL.

Firing Wilks just to replace him with a first time DC that might not even be qualified for the job in the first place is just shuffling chairs on the Titanic.

The only way I think you can justify moving off of Wilks is if you replace him with someone experienced and proven, otherwise you ride it out with him this year and dump him after the season is over.
Atleast it would be being proactive.
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Atleast it would be being proactive

It's difficult enough being a first time DC when you have the whole offseason to prepare, asking someone that has never called a defense to step in mid-season and suddenly figure it all out at once is an absurd thing to ask of anyone and is more likely than not to result in disaster.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I'm not saying fire Wilks now but wouldn't be anywhere near panicked or mad if they did. I'm just saying that promoting from within has been successful up until now. Sure we could end up with a Hostler but Bullocks or Holland would've been taking over a successful system. It's not like Hostler was taking over a successful system then ran it into the ground.
Share 49ersWebzone