There are 235 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
^^^^^Daniel Bullocks or Johnny Holland should've got the job. And I would've been more than happy that they did.

Just because they're in the building doesn't mean they're good candidates. When you promote guys just because they're next man up, that is how you end up with a Hostler. Not only did those guys not get DC interest from the 49ers, they didn't get DC interest from anyone else across the NFL.

Firing Wilks just to replace him with a first time DC that might not even be qualified for the job in the first place is just shuffling chairs on the Titanic.

The only way I think you can justify moving off of Wilks is if you replace him with someone experienced and proven, otherwise you ride it out with him this year and dump him after the season is over.

I'm not saying fire Wilks now but wouldn't be anywhere near panicked or mad if they did. I'm just saying that promoting from within has been successful up until now. Sure we could end up with a Hostler but Bullocks or Holland would've been taking over a successful system. It's not like Hostler was taking over a successful system then ran it into the ground.

You're right Hostler was a totally different situation. Wilks is running a good vet defense into the ground.
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Atleast it would be being proactive

It's difficult enough being a first time DC when you have the whole offseason to prepare, asking someone that has never called a defense to step in mid-season and suddenly figure it all out at once is an absurd thing to ask of anyone and is more likely than not to result in disaster.
Is what we have now not a disaster?

Maybe it would be an epic failure or maybe the team rallies around the new guy and gets back to form either way they have nothing to lose,it isn't anymore absurd than standing idley by and going down with the ship.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
You're right Hostler was a totally different situation. Wilks is running a good vet defense into the ground.

how is he running it into the ground?
we open with 3rd and 10 and we make Burrow look like prime Super Bowl Eli Manning
he broke several tackles and chucks downfield for a 1st
that play should have been a sack, that is execution, not scheme
KS talked about that

we forced a TO to end the first half, Oliver jumped Burrow on another play, we got home on Burrow, AA rubbing the belly
I saw missed tackles all over, I saw a lot of execution errors, it doesn't matter who the DC is you can have Wilks head today, if guys don't tackle it's a prob

It's difficult enough being a first time DC when you have the whole offseason to prepare, asking someone that has never called a defense to step in mid-season and suddenly figure it all out at once is an absurd thing to ask of anyone and is more likely than not to result in disaster.

Maybe it would be an epic failure or maybe the team rallies around the new guy and gets back to form either way they have nothing to lose,it isn't anymore absurd than standing idley by and going down with the ship.

You have to be proactive. It will only get worse. The players don't believe in his scheme, philosophy, or play calling.

You have to be proactive. It will only get worse. The players don't believe in his scheme, philosophy, or play calling.
Agreed these guys already look demoralized.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

we open with 3rd and 10 and we make Burrow look like prime Super Bowl Eli Manning
KS talked about that

we forced a TO to end the first half, Oliver jumped Burrow on another play, we got home on Burrow, AA rubbing the belly
I saw missed tackles all over, I saw a lot of execution errors, it doesn't matter who the DC is you can have Wilks head today, if guys don't tackle it's a prob

Wilks is the DC. He is responsible for the way they play, scheme, and philosophy. Has he ever gone to a team and made their defense better?
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Funny/ not funny when Tony Romo called that glaring hole that Burrow ran for a first down pre snap.
Even Acho is criticizing this guy. Saying they aren't playing up to their level. He's putting them in bad positions.

• thl408
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Should (or can we) go back to a 4-3?

Before w/Saleh & Ryans
4-3-4.
DL Defensive front was wide vs crashing tight to the center.
LBs We used Azeez Al Shahir who helped stopped the run, could drop back, or add pressure on the QB.
CBs The corners did a combination of press man on one side and zone on the other with the safeties playing high and helping on one side.

With Wilks now
4-2-5
DL. Defensive front plays tight towards the center vs wide, isc this why Bosa has no room to do anything but bull rush ?

LBs. It's just Fred and Dre doing everything. Really asking a lot from the 2 of them to be everywhere.

CBs - With 5 DBs you would think we would have doubled their best guys but the zone we stick them in every time has become predictable. Other teams know exactly where to beat this. Oliver is a good open field tackler and good against bigger/slower receivers or TEs. Not against shifty fast WRs.

There's the bye week to fix things. Wilks has to make a move because doing the same and hoping for a different result is insanity. Does he put in Burks at LB and change the entire D, which should be doable since everyone has played it before? Can one of the rookie LBs step in and contribute ?

Any of my observations above, feel free to correct.

They are still a 4-3. I don't think Wilk is doing anything weird with the personnel usage, outside of the five man DL front that he will use occasionally. He's still playing base versus the offense's base, and nickel versus the offenses 3WR sets - that's basic for most defenses.

There are a couple personnel changes that have hurt the defense imo. One is the slot CB position. Oliver will have a couple good plays but also will get beat in coverage at the worst times - he is a clear downgrade from Jimmie Ward and KWaun Williams imo. The other is run defense from the DT position. I remember reading Hargrave being a meh run defender when he was with PHI - not terrible but also not good. In this wide9 scheme, the DTs need to be good at run defense. Kinlaw gets pushed around and Givens isn't a high level run defender either. The two ILBS rely on being kept clean so they can read and attack the run gaps.

I think more speed from the safety position could help, as Huf and Gipson are both on the slower side.

As far as playcalling, Wilks just seems to call the wrong things at the wrong time. I can't tell what the specifics are, just appears off when compared to Ryans.
Wilks not being on the sidelines doesn't help either.

KS talked about that

Wilks is the DC. He is responsible for the way they play, scheme, and philosophy. Has he ever gone to a team and made their defense better?

I look at things as scheme and execution. If KS schemes a guy wide open, and the guy drops a wide open TD pass. I don't fault the scheme. I don't say we need to fire KS. I fault the execution. Guy has to catch the football.

KS talked about that

I look at things as scheme and execution. If KS schemes a guy wide open, and the guy drops a wide open TD pass. I don't fault the scheme. I don't say we need to fire KS. I fault the execution. Guy has to catch the football.

When Tony Romo is calling out the wide open easy plays for Burrow and they are consistently happening, it is a problem.
I hear y'all but Wilks on the sideline isn't going to matter imo.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

KS talked about that

All of his defenses were mediocre at best, except his first season as DC.

KS talked about that

When Tony Romo is calling out the wide open easy plays for Burrow and they are consistently happening, it is a problem.

lol, whatever, one play with 'some space'
where JB has to run and get exposed to some shots

on another, he literally said, 'good job from Steve Wilks', that's a quote
Share 49ersWebzone