There are 262 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I hear y'all but Wilks on the sideline isn't going to matter imo.

Why not try it first then judge.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
You're right Hostler was a totally different situation. Wilks is running a good vet defense into the ground.

how is he running it into the ground?
we open with 3rd and 10 and we make Burrow look like prime Super Bowl Eli Manning
he broke several tackles and chucks downfield for a 1st
that play should have been a sack, that is execution, not scheme
KS talked about that

we forced a TO to end the first half, Oliver jumped Burrow on another play, we got home on Burrow, AA rubbing the belly
I saw missed tackles all over, I saw a lot of execution errors, it doesn't matter who the DC is you can have Wilks head today, if guys don't tackle it's a prob

Wilks is the DC. He is responsible for the way they play, scheme, and philosophy. Has he ever gone to a team and made their defense better?

All of his defenses were mediocre at best, except his first season as DC.

That makes sense, and we are seeing it in action.

I don't see him miraculously fixing his scheme by doing something else he never does as a coach. I have zero faith in him fixing it. I hope I'm wrong.
You're right Hostler was a totally different situation. Wilks is running a good vet defense into the ground.

we open with 3rd and 10 and we make Burrow look like prime Super Bowl Eli Manning
KS talked about that

we forced a TO to end the first half, Oliver jumped Burrow on another play, we got home on Burrow, AA rubbing the belly
I saw missed tackles all over, I saw a lot of execution errors, it doesn't matter who the DC is you can have Wilks head today, if guys don't tackle it's a prob

Wilks is the DC. He is responsible for the way they play, scheme, and philosophy. Has he ever gone to a team and made their defense better?

I look at things as scheme and execution. If KS schemes a guy wide open, and the guy drops a wide open TD pass. I don't fault the scheme. I don't say we need to fire KS. I fault the execution. Guy has to catch the football.

When Tony Romo is calling out the wide open easy plays for Burrow and they are consistently happening, it is a problem.

lol, whatever, one play with 'some space'
where JB has to run and get exposed to some shots

on another, he literally said, 'good job from Steve Wilks', that's a quote

Cool stay with Wilks, he is great!👍
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I don't see him miraculously fixing his scheme by doing something else he never does as a coach. I have zero faith in him fixing it. I hope I'm wrong.

No but IMO, I think he'll be better at communicating with his defense as a whole.

KS talked about that

I look at things as scheme and execution. If KS schemes a guy wide open, and the guy drops a wide open TD pass. I don't fault the scheme. I don't say we need to fire KS. I fault the execution. Guy has to catch the football.

When Tony Romo is calling out the wide open easy plays for Burrow and they are consistently happening, it is a problem.

Let me tell you I survived a fire Saleh campaign and a fire DeMeco campaign. Our fans thought they both were clowns, until you know, they were quickly snatched up by teams to lead NFL franchises.

all things considered, including yesterday we are 5th in points allowed

5th best, in the NFL
this is a top 5 D, in ppg

KS talked about that

Let me tell you I survived a fire Saleh campaign and a fire DeMeco campaign. Our fans thought they both were clowns, until you know, they were quickly snatched up by teams to lead NFL franchises.

5th best, in the NFL

5th best, in the NFL
Those were first time DCs that were growing into the job not experienced like Wilks with a track record of failure apple's to oranges
Originally posted by DaleGribble:

KS talked about that

5th best, in the NFL

5th best, in the NFL
Those were first time DCs that were growing into the job not experienced like Wilks with a track record of failure apple's to oranges

no, its apples to apples, fans always hate the DC if we allow more than 3 ppg and are losing

try and square a top 5 D in ppg with we need to fire him now, and make it make some sense

You're living in a dream world, dude.

Plenty of people who know more about football than you point to Wilks faltering.

Lombardi, Richard Sherman, Kreuger, Florio, Simms, Wade Phillips, (and that's just off the top of my head) have all publicly impugned Wilks' calls and performance.

It seems like you have your fingers in your ears, a blindfold on, and an opinion you're certain of.

Just doesn't seem rational at this point.
When I look at our defensive backs, I don't think man coverage is their strength. Really not sure what Wilkes is seeing and why he is forcing this on our defense after saying, he would adjust himself rather than changing the scheme. This is really on Kyle for allowing this to happen.

KS talked about that

5th best, in the NFL

Saleh and Ryans are totally different. They were first time DC's that were learning and got better. Wilks is a mediocre DC, not a first time DC. This is who he is.
wilks is vanilla when he needs to be aggressive and aggressive when he needs to be conservative
Originally posted by TyCore:

Plenty of people who know more about football than you point to Wilks faltering.

Lombardi, Richard Sherman, Kreuger, Florio, Simms, Wade Phillips, (and that's just off the top of my head) have all publicly impugned Wilks' calls and performance.

It seems like you have your fingers in your ears, a blindfold on, and an opinion you're certain of.

It would be nice to get Wade Phillips as DC.
I can't believe they hired this guy over Vic Fangio.
Originally posted by TyCore:

Hes not. He gets his favorites and won't turn on then no matter how they play or coach.
Share 49ersWebzone