There are 189 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Wilks not being on the sidelines doesn't help either.

I actually think he needs to leave the booth, and it has nothing to do with energy or being Rah Rah like Saleh or Ryans. It's about communication and ability for more one on one teaching or collective coaching in the moment. Wilks is supposedly a great communicator, but that's completely negated if he's up in the booth.

He needs that to help guys adjust quicker. He'll be able to see the all 22 on the tablet just fine, he doesn't need to be up in the booth.

👍
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
You're right Hostler was a totally different situation. Wilks is running a good vet defense into the ground.

how is he running it into the ground?
we open with 3rd and 10 and we make Burrow look like prime Super Bowl Eli Manning
he broke several tackles and chucks downfield for a 1st
that play should have been a sack, that is execution, not scheme
KS talked about that

we forced a TO to end the first half, Oliver jumped Burrow on another play, we got home on Burrow, AA rubbing the belly
I saw missed tackles all over, I saw a lot of execution errors, it doesn't matter who the DC is you can have Wilks head today, if guys don't tackle it's a prob

Wilks is the DC. He is responsible for the way they play, scheme, and philosophy. Has he ever gone to a team and made their defense better?

I look at things as scheme and execution. If KS schemes a guy wide open, and the guy drops a wide open TD pass. I don't fault the scheme. I don't say we need to fire KS. I fault the execution. Guy has to catch the football.

When Tony Romo is calling out the wide open easy plays for Burrow and they are consistently happening, it is a problem.

lol, whatever, one play with 'some space'
where JB has to run and get exposed to some shots

on another, he literally said, 'good job from Steve Wilks', that's a quote

Cool stay with Wilks, he is great!👍

Let me tell you I survived a fire Saleh campaign and a fire DeMeco campaign. Our fans thought they both were clowns, until you know, they were quickly snatched up by teams to lead NFL franchises.

all things considered, including yesterday we are 5th in points allowed

5th best, in the NFL
this is a top 5 D, in ppg

Let me tell you I survived a fire Saleh campaign and a fire DeMeco campaign. Our fans thought they both were clowns, until you know, they were quickly snatched up by teams to lead NFL franchises.

all things considered, including yesterday we are 5th in points allowed

5th best, in the NFL
this is a top 5 D, in ppg
Those were first time DCs that were growing into the job not experienced like Wilks with a track record of failure apple's to oranges

no, its apples to apples, fans always hate the DC if we allow more than 3 ppg and are losing

try and square a top 5 D in ppg with we need to fire him now, and make it make some sense
Your failure to acknowledge Wilks track record speaks volumes.

Cling to that ppg argument as long as can I'm afraid it'll be short lived some of these upcoming teams won't be as generous when it comes to shooting themselves in the foot.

Cling to that ppg argument as long as can I'm afraid it'll be short lived some of these upcoming teams won't be as generous when it comes to shooting themselves in the foot.

cling to it? it's the entire focus of football games, score points and don't allow points
we are #5 on O and D
I think we are more the team we saw the first 5 than the last 3, just in a funk, that happens over a long season
football is a physical game, and the margin between winning and losing is thin

He's not failing to acknowledge it, he thinks Wilks is legit a good coach.
Originally posted by linkboy:

I thought he was a good hire, KS and JL know their stuff, if he's really a problem like you all think he is, they will surely move on
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
3 straight losses with a defense that has gotten worse each week and 49ersfaithful believes Wilks doing a great job

lmao, thin line between faithful and delusional.

I think Wilks is getting worse and teams are exposing his defense, lets see Wilks prove me wrong. He always starts off hot then cools as his career or season goes on, he went from 7th in total yards/11th in points to being ranked in the 20's in both categories up until now. I'd move on next season.
I'm not saying 'great job'
no need to strawman
I am saying the way we are playing doesn't match the thread.. we are top 5 ppg,
with the heads have to roll mentality, I would expect bottom 5, but it's the opposite

the entire team is struggling, be it Moody, the O, the D, you name it
I don't think anyone needs fired, we just have to play better, you can deal with my take as is, no need to make my opinion something it isn't
You still playing the ppg card? Funny. I told you what would happen when we played against an elite QB. That was pretty much a scrimmage for Burrow and Chase. Hardly a scratch for either one. At least Dameco with some struggles early on last year seemed to improve each game and got them playing at a high level even when the offense left them out to dry. Remember when Falcons scores 28 and Chiefs 44? They got some guys healthy and shut down the Rams and Chargers. This season is not going in that direction unless Shanny gets involved in the D and hire a "consultant" like Mike Zimmer who's really calling the plays

I want to know what this "pretty good track record" is.

Was it when he failed miserably as HC of the Cards and the defense he installed took them from Top 10 rushing defense in the NFL to dead last?

When he was let go by the Browns after a year?

When Missouri fans were happy to see him leave after his short stint as DC led to one of the program's worst defensive outputs in its history?

The only time that you can argue that he looked good is when he had Ron Rivera, a very well accomplished defensive coach looking over his shoulder.

I thought he was a good hire, KS and JL know their stuff, if he's really a problem like you all think he is, they will surely move on

Sadly, it might be too late this season. We are stuck with this guy.
I can't believe they hired this guy over Vic Fangio.

I forgot about that.

But I did think Wilks was a good hire when it was announced.

Sadly, it might be too late this season. We are stuck with this guy.

no, it's never too late, if he's a net negative and hurting the team each week, which is what I am reading in here, then he will be out today (if Kyle and Lynch come to that conclusion)
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Was it when he failed miserably as HC of the Cards and the defense he installed took them from Top 10 rushing defense in the NFL to dead last?

When Missouri fans were happy to see him leave after his short stint as DC led to one of the program's worst defensive outputs in its history?

The only time that you can argue that he looked good is when he had Ron Rivera, a very well accomplished defensive coach looking over his shoulder.

Holy s**t.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Wow I didn't know he failed at Missouri.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I can't believe they hired this guy over Vic Fangio.

I forgot about that.

But I did think Wilks was a good hire when it was announced.

Fangio runs a 3-4 we don't have the players for a 3-4
Wow I didn't know he failed at Missouri.

In his lone season in charge of the defense, the Tigers struggled greatly in Wilks' 4-2-5 defensive system, particularly against the run. Of Missouri's 13 opponents, seven of them rushed for over 200 yards. In-state opponent Southeast Missouri State even racked up 294 yards on the ground.

In an October game at home against Tennessee, the Tigers' defense hit rock bottom. The defense yielded nearly 700 yards of total offense (458 rushing yards) in a 62-24 blowout loss. They ended the week ranked dead last in the FBS in total rushing yards allowed per game (283.9) and second to last in average yard per carry (6.3).
Share 49ersWebzone