There are 156 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by Wrathman:
I can't believe they hired this guy over Vic Fangio.

I forgot about that.

But I did think Wilks was a good hire when it was announced.

Fangio runs a 3-4 we don't have the players for a 3-4

Wasn't Shanahan also interviewing a candidate from the Eagles defensive staff?? I wish they went that direction too!!!
Originally posted by linkboy:
Wow I didn't know he failed at Missouri.

In his lone season in charge of the defense, the Tigers struggled greatly in Wilks' 4-2-5 defensive system, particularly against the run. Of Missouri's 13 opponents, seven of them rushed for over 200 yards. In-state opponent Southeast Missouri State even racked up 294 yards on the ground.

In an October game at home against Tennessee, the Tigers' defense hit rock bottom. The defense yielded nearly 700 yards of total offense (458 rushing yards) in a 62-24 blowout loss. They ended the week ranked dead last in the FBS in total rushing yards allowed per game (283.9) and second to last in average yard per carry (6.3).

Sounds eerily similar to what we are going through. It will only get worse!
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
cling to it? it's the entire focus of football games, score points and don't allow points
we are #5 on O and D
I think we are more the team we saw the first 5 than the last 3, just in a funk, that happens over a long season
football is a physical game, and the margin between winning and losing is thin
You've got to be a Hawks troll. I hope you're getting a good laugh from all of this.
I supported Saleh & Ryans when the D had some struggles in some stretches, but this feels monstrously different. I can't support Wilks based on what I've seen. It's not an issue of a few calls I didn't like, it's total team collapse on defense.

Guys are fundamentally unprepared, the scheme has them constantly out of position, and myself as a football intellectual but not an NFL coach am so easily able to point out severe issues pre-snap almost all game for the past two weeks. The play-calling has been horrific.

This team has never looked like this. We have far superior talent than we did under Ryans and Saleh now, and the amount of WTF mistakes and astonishingly bad play calls and situational incompetence is absolutely unconscionable. His scheme is a terrible transition away from what we did best. This isn't growing pains of a rookie DC, this is just flat out ineptitude.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 30, 2023 at 11:09 AM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I can't believe they hired this guy over Vic Fangio.

I forgot about that.

But I did think Wilks was a good hire when it was announced.

Fangio runs a 3-4 we don't have the players for a 3-4

Wasn't Shanahan also interviewing a candidate from the Eagles defensive staff?? I wish they went that direction too!!!

Wow I didn't know about that! How is Wilks a better hire. Lynch and Shanny didn't do their homework!
Originally posted by rrallan1:
cling to it? it's the entire focus of football games, score points and don't allow points
we are #5 on O and D
I think we are more the team we saw the first 5 than the last 3, just in a funk, that happens over a long season
You've got to be a Hawks troll. I hope you're getting a good laugh from all of this.

It's called reality, I'm not gonna say a hire is a bad hire after 5 good weeks and 1 or 2 (or 3) bad ones
Seriously, one to wonder why Wilks was hired in the first place, there were plenty of other candidates who were as qualified or better, this is taking me back to the 2011 season all over again
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Your failure to acknowledge Wilks track record speaks volumes.

Cling to that ppg argument as long as can I'm afraid it'll be short lived some of these upcoming teams won't be as generous when it comes to shooting themselves in the foot.

we are #5 on O and D
There's been issues since week 1 it's not just about the last 3 weeks fortunately the teams they played weren't capable of taking advantage of those issues or shot themselves in the foot won't be afforded that luxury going forward with the upcoming schedule.

That top 5 in ppg is about to be exposed for the mirage that ii is.
It's called reality, I'm not gonna say a hire is a bad hire after 5 good weeks and 1 or 2 (or 3) bad ones

Try 3 good weeks and 5 bad ones. Because the Rams and Cards weren't talented enough to exploit the issues doesn't mean things were good.

99 yard drive to Cards.

Originally posted by ninersporvida:
Seriously, one to wonder why Wilks was hired in the first place, there were plenty of other candidates who were as qualified or better, this is taking me back to the 2011 season all over again

2011?
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Try 3 good weeks and 5 bad ones. Because the Rams and Cards weren't talented enough to exploit the issues doesn't mean things were good.

99 yard drive to Cards.
That's much closer to reality maybe a little generous.
Originally posted by linkboy:
In his lone season in charge of the defense, the Tigers struggled greatly in Wilks' 4-2-5 defensive system, particularly against the run. Of Missouri's 13 opponents, seven of them rushed for over 200 yards. In-state opponent Southeast Missouri State even racked up 294 yards on the ground.

In an October game at home against Tennessee, the Tigers' defense hit rock bottom. The defense yielded nearly 700 yards of total offense (458 rushing yards) in a 62-24 blowout loss. They ended the week ranked dead last in the FBS in total rushing yards allowed per game (283.9) and second to last in average yard per carry (6.3).
Wow, this is amazing and unbelievable. Southeast Missouri State!?! bwahahahaha.

I actually did some research and see he was DB coach for Notre Dame in 2004 and for Univ of Washington in 2005. In other words, he followed around the great Ty Willingham, also known as the laziest coach out there. Oh by the way, ND went 6-6 in 2004, and UW went 2-9. How in the world did this guy keep getting promoted?
[ Edited by rrallan1 on Oct 30, 2023 at 11:08 AM ]
Your failure to acknowledge Wilks track record speaks volumes.

Cling to that ppg argument as long as can I'm afraid it'll be short lived some of these upcoming teams won't be as generous when it comes to shooting themselves in the foot.

we are #5 on O and D
There's been issues since week 1 it's not just about the last 3 weeks fortunately the teams they played weren't capable of taking advantage of those issues or shot themselves in the foot won't be afforded that luxury going forward with the upcoming schedule.

That top 5 in ppg is about to be exposed for the mirage that ii is.

It is a mirage. The run defense is now bottom of barrel, used to be our bread and butter.
I like your user name. I'm a big Mike Judge and King of the Hill fan.😃

The cracks were starting to show as early as the Rams game.

Stafford and Nacua were doing the exact same thing teams are doing now (killing us with the underneath routes).

Arizona went 99 yards for a TD and made it look easy.
Share 49ersWebzone