George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 123 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by evil:
FWIW the 2017 Panthers were a fringe top 10 D with Wilks as DC.

Wilks still defers to Kyle.l here. We have 2 weeks to assess and analyze. It's not delusional to think there could be some changes coming out of the bye, but the truth is nobody here knows. It's all guesswork.

What we do know is we have been in a similar position at the same time of the season the last 2 years and those 49ers teams figured it out and turned things around. Doesn't mean that's what will happen this year, every season is different.

But the precedent set shows expecting change isn't delusional.

He also had Ron Rivera looking over his shoulder then. He's been mediocre to atrocious at all other times.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Yeah, nothing is going to change. I think at this point anyone expecting anything to change is delusional. This is Wilks. This has always been Wilks. He puts together terrible defensive teams and that doesn't change.

Wilks still defers to Kyle.l here. We have 2 weeks to assess and analyze. It's not delusional to think there could be some changes coming out of the bye, but the truth is nobody here knows. It's all guesswork.

What we do know is we have been in a similar position at the same time of the season the last 2 years and those 49ers teams figured it out and turned things around. Doesn't mean that's what will happen this year, every season is different.

The thing I didn't realize when initially reacted to the hire was... The bolded.. That 2017 year it was Ron Rivera in control while that team was stacked as well, and the kicker is.. they also had been running the same system for 7 years.

Wilks isn't under a superior defensive minded HC and he's trying to get our guys playing a different scheme than we've ran for the past seven years...
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 31, 2023 at 6:19 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Yeah, nothing is going to change. I think at this point anyone expecting anything to change is delusional. This is Wilks. This has always been Wilks. He puts together terrible defensive teams and that doesn't change.

The thing I didn't realize when initially reacted to the hire was... The bolded.. That 2017 year it was Ron Rivera in control while that team was stacked as well, and the kicker is.. they also had been running the same system for 7 years.

Wilks isn't under a superior defensive minded HC and he's trying to get our guys playing a different scheme than we've ran for the past seven years...

Cooking up disaster.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He also had Ron Rivera looking over his shoulder then. He's been mediocre to atrocious at all other times.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Fair point made there.

I'm still willing to bet dollars to donuts that we are assessing and analyzing and trying to figure out how to get this defense to play up to its potential. Time will tell though.
Never coached the wide 9.
Didn't bring his secondary coach with him.
Trying to change the scheme of a defense that has played the same way for years.

How the hell is this going to work?
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Never coached the wide 9.
Didn't bring his secondary coach with him.
Trying to change the scheme of a defense that has played the same way for years.

How the hell is this going to work?

should the blame NOT be on Shanny ??

LIke Parcells said.. " they want me to cook the dinner, allow me to do the grocery " ..
Originally posted by 9moon:

LIke Parcells said.. " they want me to cook the dinner, allow me to do the grocery " ..

Of course we should blame Shanny but guys here will never ever blame our ringless genius HC

Of course we should blame Shanny but guys here will never ever blame our ringless genius HC

CORYELL - HENNING - WYCHE - JUNE JONES - MOUSE DAVIS - NORV - MARTZ - SHANNY

In his defense, he dialed up check mate on Super Bowl LIV.

It was Jimmy G that missed a wide open receiver for what w/c/should have been a game sealing touchdown.

But the record still backs up your terminology, he is ringless.
Anyone else tired of the wide 9? Easy run lanes, slow to get to the QB, and combined with the secondary playing prevent defense. What could go wrong?

Except for the Cowboys game the D hasn't been better than one would expect in any game.

Since, they got yet another DE perhaps they should play a 5 or 6 man line. Semi joking.

Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:

In his defense, he dialed up check mate on Super Bowl LIV.

It was Jimmy G that missed a wide open receiver for what w/c/should have been a game sealing touchdown.

But the record still backs up your terminology, he is ringless.

1.... we were up 10, we had the best RB in the game.. even the Chiefs got excited when we got too fancy w/the passing game
2.... even if Grappy was to blame, Shanny had a chance to get Brady but stayed w/Grappy... and I will forever say that our HC wants to be FACE of the team..
3 ... NOT. a QB guru FOR SURE..
Here's what I don't get about Wilks:

We have seen this before in the last few years: teams adjust to our pass rush by using quick passes and screens. And Demeco showed how to adjust to that. All Wilks needs to do is do exactly what Demeco did. Yet he can't even do that.
How the hell would it make sense to change the defense of this team? They have been phenomenal for years. That's absolutely absurd.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Again, look at the situations as wholes. Wilks has never coached a team with this much pure talent in the front 7. The first few weeks, opposing teams tried attacking what they saw to be our weakness over the past couple seasons. Once enough film was made, the league saw that Wilks was running the defense the way he always has, trusting our talent would show that his failures stemmed from personnel rather than coaching/scheme. Giving no him the most talent he's ever seen, while watching him drop that top defense to middle of the pack at best infuriates me. Dude needs to coach this D the way his predecessors did, not how he wants.
Originally posted by EastBay:
Anyone else tired of the wide 9? Easy run lanes, slow to get to the QB, and combined with the secondary playing prevent defense. What could go wrong?

Except for the Cowboys game the D hasn't been better than one would expect in any game.

Since, they got yet another DE perhaps they should play a 5 or 6 man line. Semi joking.

Been running the wide 9 for the last couple years and our run d has been top 2 so that's not the issue. Wilks is a major part of this melt down
Share 49ersWebzone