George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 144 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by evil:
FWIW the 2017 Panthers were a fringe top 10 D with Wilks as DC.

Wilks still defers to Kyle.l here. We have 2 weeks to assess and analyze. It's not delusional to think there could be some changes coming out of the bye, but the truth is nobody here knows. It's all guesswork.

What we do know is we have been in a similar position at the same time of the season the last 2 years and those 49ers teams figured it out and turned things around. Doesn't mean that's what will happen this year, every season is different.

But the precedent set shows expecting change isn't delusional.

He also had Ron Rivera looking over his shoulder then. He's been mediocre to atrocious at all other times.

Again, look at the situations as wholes. Wilks has never coached a team with this much pure talent in the front 7. The first few weeks, opposing teams tried attacking what they saw to be our weakness over the past couple seasons. Once enough film was made, the league saw that Wilks was running the defense the way he always has, trusting our talent would show that his failures stemmed from personnel rather than coaching/scheme. Giving no him the most talent he's ever seen, while watching him drop that top defense to middle of the pack at best infuriates me. Dude needs to coach this D the way his predecessors did, not how he wants.

This, wasn't the reason Kyle didn't hire Fangio because he was going to switch things up and wanted a guy who was going to run the same d that was ran the last couple years under Saleh and Ryans? So what, Wilks lied about trying to run the same s**t or what?
I still am holding out hope that Wilks figures things out by the bye. If things continue as they are, I think we will need a mutual parting of the ways and promote Daniel Bullocks. Bullocks, has at least been in the system for seven years so he's familiar with what we do. Wilks, while being successful elsewhere is trying to run a system that is foreign to him. If he can't adjust quickly, a change may need to be made.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
That Fangio loss is looming large. The guy was consulting for us. f**k Shanny for letting him walk and picking up this waste.
Shanahan noted that he hopes his players do some soul-searching during the break and identify why they looked fatigued against the Bengals.

I don't know whether to cry or laugh after hearing this. They are fatigued because they chasing the opposing offense all over the field...Can't stop the offense. Defense on the field too long...and this has been going on for several weeks. Am I in the twilight zone?
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by evil:
FWIW the 2017 Panthers were a fringe top 10 D with Wilks as DC.

Wilks still defers to Kyle.l here. We have 2 weeks to assess and analyze. It's not delusional to think there could be some changes coming out of the bye, but the truth is nobody here knows. It's all guesswork.

What we do know is we have been in a similar position at the same time of the season the last 2 years and those 49ers teams figured it out and turned things around. Doesn't mean that's what will happen this year, every season is different.

But the precedent set shows expecting change isn't delusional.

He also had Ron Rivera looking over his shoulder then. He's been mediocre to atrocious at all other times.

Again, look at the situations as wholes. Wilks has never coached a team with this much pure talent in the front 7. The first few weeks, opposing teams tried attacking what they saw to be our weakness over the past couple seasons. Once enough film was made, the league saw that Wilks was running the defense the way he always has, trusting our talent would show that his failures stemmed from personnel rather than coaching/scheme. Giving no him the most talent he's ever seen, while watching him drop that top defense to middle of the pack at best infuriates me. Dude needs to coach this D the way his predecessors did, not how he wants.

Tigers can't change their stripes. Wilks is what he is. He will always be this. A mediocre DC. If he hasn't changed by now it isn't going to happen. Chase Young, Patrick Surtain, Deion Sanders, Tony Parrish it doesn't matter who we trade for. The defense as a hole is just broken. He took everything the players knew and excelled at and threw it out the window.
So the Raiders just fired their HC and GM! Can we not at least fire one lil DC? Please? Heck Richard Sherman sounds like he knows what to do, he could step in and take over! Come on Lynch - I guarantee you are NOT getting comp picks for Wilks in two years!
Wow about the Raiders, let's follow the trend of firing lol

I would trust Aaron Rodgers making calls from his bed over Wilks lol
Originally posted by RDB4216:
So the Raiders just fired their HC and GM! Can we not at least fire one lil DC? Please? Heck Richard Sherman sounds like he knows what to do, he could step in and take over! Come on Lynch - I guarantee you are NOT getting comp picks for Wilks in two years!

I wouldn't put anything past Sherm but I'm not sure he's ready to jump in as a DC. Give him a couple years internship he'd probably be really good tho.
Originally posted by MrGriz:
Originally posted by RDB4216:

I wouldn't put anything past Sherm but I'm not sure he's ready to jump in as a DC. Give him a couple years internship he'd probably be really good tho.

If going the player route I'd rather have Dante Whitner. The guy is a Tony Romo of defense.

The first anonymous direct call-out from a player on the team (allegedly)..
Can the Raiders please hire this guy as their next HC
Originally posted by DrEll:
That Fangio loss is looming large. The guy was consulting for us. f**k Shanny for letting him walk and picking up this waste.

I mean it's not like Miami has a good defense right now

I wanted Sean Desai who's currently the DC in Philly.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 1, 2023 at 6:37 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Yeah I think it's pretty clear that the secondary is confused and the D even with all these stars needs a better DC.

dude was suppose to run Kyle's scheme, not his. We've finally lost some juice losing all these good coordinators. Forced to hire outside the organization hurt this squad.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 1, 2023 at 6:40 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Yeah I think it's pretty clear that the secondary is confused and the D even with all these stars needs a better DC.

dude was suppose to run Kyle's scheme, not his. We've finally lost some juice losing all these good coordinators. Forced to hire outside the organization hurt this squad.

The individual choice for the job was wrong and not necessarily the logic behind hiring outside of the building. There had to be better options than Steve Wilks.
[ Edited by 49er-from-Yavin-IV on Nov 1, 2023 at 7:52 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone