LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 144 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
The DC is taking the heat for a lot. I agree he needs to go but I also think the players need to step it up. Missed tackles are killing us. Penalties and low energy are also contributing to the hot mess we have. Something needs to change and change quick.

IMO, that's where having Wilks on the sideline should help, to get in their faces when they do things like miss tackles or get beat for a TD. Stop letting your position coaches do the dirty work.

Agreed.

He doesn't want Kyle to get in his face, thats why he's up there. Would be shocked if he's not on the sidelines against the Jags.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Still feel like this is who Kyle should have hired.

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/team/coaches-roster/chris-harris

I was a Sean Desai fan. Eagles DC now
  • bud49
  • Veteran
They better change some things up during this time, Tevor Lawerance will carve them up like a thanksgiving turkey if they don't.
The DC is taking the heat for a lot. I agree he needs to go but I also think the players need to step it up. Missed tackles are killing us. Penalties and low energy are also contributing to the hot mess we have. Something needs to change and change quick.

IMO, that's where having Wilks on the sideline should help, to get in their faces when they do things like miss tackles or get beat for a TD. Stop letting your position coaches do the dirty work.

He is not a chest beater type. Not going to happen. The only reason a switch might be appropriate is if there are communication issues going thru a middleman to get info back and forth. Not getting info out on time. Taking too long etc.

If that is NOT an issue and it is purely his calls then sideline or booth does not matter. The only reason to not let him be where he desires is purely if there are timing and communication issues. Not chest pounding.

Even Kyle stated sometimes nice to have a desk and lay your paperwork and plans out. If he likes it like that well he likes it like that. Saleh and Demeco were tied to LBs which are known to be a bit colorful. DB, which is where much of Wilks time has been spent is the complete opposite.

All that said, not a fan.. (prove me wrong and I will gladly bandwagon)
He will have Chase Young and Bosa in coverage. Don't doubt for a second he can mess this up. They will drop off to cover in the backend. He's very capable to mess this up and not get anything out of it.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erson3:

He is not a chest beater type. Not going to happen. The only reason a switch might be appropriate is if there are communication issues going thru a middleman to get info back and forth. Not getting info out on time. Taking too long etc.

If that is NOT an issue and it is purely his calls then sideline or booth does not matter. The only reason to not let him be where he desires is purely if there are timing and communication issues. Not chest pounding.

Even Kyle stated sometimes nice to have a desk and lay your paperwork and plans out. If he likes it like that well he likes it like that. Saleh and Demeco were tied to LBs which are known to be a bit colorful. DB, which is where much of Wilks time has been spent is the complete opposite.

All that said, not a fan.. (prove me wrong and I will gladly bandwagon)

I'm not saying "get in their faces drill-seargent way", I'm saying for leadership to simply let'em know, communicate and be on'em when they don't execute. If you're doing this all to be a head coach again, then why not get back to the sideline. I don't remember head coaches in the booth!!!
I want to know how the heck the defense regressed after game 5? Did other teams figure out the defense?
  • thl408
Originally posted by Alfienator:
I want to know how the heck the defense regressed after game 5? Did other teams figure out the defense?

49ers offense stopped jumping out to early leads. Opposing offenses were able to stick with their run game. I think that's one factor.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He will have Chase Young and Bosa in coverage. Don't doubt for a second he can mess this up. They will drop off to cover in the backend. He's very capable to mess this up and not get anything out of it.

I was thinking the same thing or using Warner covering the slot and have Bosa more of a run stopper. Seriously I just don't know how Chase changes too much, the ball is getting out to the flat or middle slants faster than the D line can get to the QB.
Originally posted by Alfienator:

Combination of weak early schedule + McCarthy and Dak having the 49ers living in their heads rent free. Its not like there weren't signs, like the inability to keep the Rams off the field or the 99 yard drive by the Cards and Josh Dobbs.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Most of us seem to agree that Wilks isn't the answer.

Any ideas who could step in or might be available??

I never liked Rex Ryan but in his favor - he had tons of passion that seemed to be contagious to his teams.

Anyone like that?

It doesn't seem like they are moving off of Wilks this season so strap in and hope for the best.

Amen brother!
Originally posted by bassmanr:

I was thinking the same thing or using Warner covering the slot and have Bosa more of a run stopper. Seriously I just don't know how Chase changes too much, the ball is getting out to the flat or middle slants faster than the D line can get to the QB.

Part of it, is that now we have Ferrell in on run downs and Gregory in on passing downs. When it's a down that can easily be run or pass, and we have the opposite base player in, we are not as effective. Young will be better as a pass rusher than Ferrell, and can set the edge against the run better than Gregory.
Originally posted by RDB4216:

Part of it, is that now we have Ferrell in on run downs and Gregory in on passing downs. When it's a down that can easily be run or pass, and we have the opposite base player in, we are not as effective. Young will be better as a pass rusher than Ferrell, and can set the edge against the run better than Gregory.

Yes I agree with that take.. I'm still worried they have figured out to pass to the flat or slant routes along with basic screens before the rush effects the play. I do think the edge contain will be better with Chase.
[ Edited by bassmanr on Nov 1, 2023 at 12:39 PM ]
Originally posted by RDB4216:

Yes I agree with that take.. I'm still worried they have figured out to pass to the flat or slant routes along with basic screens before the rush effects the play. I do think the edge contain will be better with Chase.

Many plays I saw CF or Jackson getting demolished and or simply not a factor. Chase will absolutely change that. Now is Wilks inventive enough to scheme it and adjust during the game, I don't think this guy knows a lick about d line play.

I have no faith he will know what to do with this. It wasn't even a talent problem before. We had top 3 talent before the trade on defense. But zero results. It's scheme and coaching.
Share 49ersWebzone