There are 214 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
If you fire him, maybe you bring in a defensive consultant to help.

When the Ravens fired their OC Cameron, they did it the second week of December. I think if we continue to perform into December the same way we did the past few weeks, that's probably the earliest Wilks goes too.

Right now Purdy is hitting his first young player wall/resistance. This is the area where he realizes teams have adjusted or situations have changed that he hasn't faced much, and he has to find a way to improve in those areas.

It's really awful timing unfortunately because the defense is suddenly getting destroyed at a time where the offense needs to pickup the slack.

What about Johnny Holland? He's been here through Saleh and Ryans, knows the playbook they ran, coaches our LBs, knows this defense as well as anyone. That's what we need. Bringing in any outside people who don't know the personnel is what's failing us.

I should've clarified, I mean promote Bullocks and get an assistant with great familiarity the wide nine 4-3-4 scheme so he won't be totally overwhelmed. Then again, he may not need that.

If Bullocks was promoted they'd probably move Sorenson to full time DB coach.

Always felt promoting from within was the best route, as well as a working formula. Wilks either needs to swallow his pride and admit his scheme is garbage, or kick rocks.

The guy comes off as a sweet-talking liar. He said we weren't going to change what was working and he came in and did exactly that. Instead of studying up to employ new variations of our successful concepts, he's forced our line and secondary to play his historic scheme which requires top tier press man corners and two heavy cogs in the middle of the DL to plug things up, not to mention this calls for a completely different gap scheme than the wide 9. It's literally different at every single level you can imagine and we have the exact opposite personnel you need to run it.

Plain and simple, he completely changed the scheme. The only reason we did OK before is because we played crappy teams and put up so many points on offense they became one dimensional. Even then, we had isolated moments of embarrassment.

He is well spoken and connects with people on a human level but schematically he's been a disaster anywhere he hasn't had a higher defensive authority over him. Unless we win a Super Bowl with him, I'd be absolutely astonished if he's here next year.

Agreed, really started noticing this week 2
What were the specific changes that Wilks made to the defense? Not just things like passion but what changes to the scheme? The biggest change I see is coaching from the booth instead of the sideline.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
What were the specific changes that Wilks made to the defense? Not just things like passion but what changes to the scheme? The biggest change I see is coaching from the booth instead of the sideline.

Im not a smart enough fan to know what he changed schematically. The eye test tells me there should not be these gaping holes with Hargrave and AA in the middle. Bosa should not be playing patty cake with opposing tackles as they easily let him blow past the QB and out of the play. Our corners and OLBs continue to get burnt by quick outside passes. At this point where are their instincts? You must know that stuff is coming. Hufanga, imo, has lost his impact. No opposing teams QB is confused or intimidated by all his movement.

Is it bad coaching or a lack of effort now? Maybe both? I think they drank the kool-aid and just assumed the defense would keep operating at a high level while taking a play off here and there. Then it snowballed. Of course Wilks has made some bone-headed decisions to compound all this.

Hopefully the Young trade will inject some life into the D and the rest of the team. I've had times at my real life job where I was given awards in the form of inspire points and bonuses and also praise. Then a month later I started to chill and not work as hard because I felt I could get away with it. Then I picked it up again. I think it can happen in sports too.
Originally posted by 9erson3:
Was listening to a podcast last night. It was mentioned that if you really look at his coaching history he did not have a lot of DC history which is fine but I thought there was more there for some reason.

Also, he leans more towards the DB side of things from his history and Saleh and Demeco come from LB resumes. Two very different animals and history. I really did think there was a lot more DC history there for some reason and not just position coach. All of his history or much of it are one or two year stints and on to the next.

I don't think this will be a long term hire but they will make it thru the season. If we can make the SB with Jimmy I guess we can with Steve.

As a coach:
  • Cleveland Browns (2019)
    Defensive coordinator

I forgot about this game for him, a DC who supposedly had our number from Cards days.....Breida scored on the very first play for the Niners, haha.

And "if we can make the SB with Jimmy, I guess we can with Steve"
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Nov 2, 2023 at 8:57 AM ]
Originally posted by Silky:

Im not a smart enough fan to know what he changed schematically. The eye test tells me there should not be these gaping holes with Hargrave and AA in the middle. Bosa should not be playing patty cake with opposing tackles as they easily let him blow past the QB and out of the play. Our corners and OLBs continue to get burnt by quick outside passes. At this point where are their instincts? You must know that stuff is coming. Hufanga, imo, has lost his impact. No opposing teams QB is confused or intimidated by all his movement.

Is it bad coaching or a lack of effort now? Maybe both? I think they drank the kool-aid and just assumed the defense would keep operating at a high level while taking a play off here and there. Then it snowballed. Of course Wilks has made some bone-headed decisions to compound all this.

Hopefully the Young trade will inject some life into the D and the rest of the team. I've had times at my real life job where I was given awards in the form of inspire points and bonuses and also praise. Then a month later I started to chill and not work as hard because I felt I could get away with it. Then I picked it up again. I think it can happen in sports too.

I see all that too but I'm asking if anyone can tell me what actual changes have been made in the scheme?
Originally posted by Montana:

that's the McDaniels cookie
  • thl408

I see all that too but I'm asking if anyone can tell me what actual changes have been made in the scheme?

More man coverage. More blitzing. Loss of a solid slot CB (JWard). Loss of Ebukam and Omenihu has hurt the run defense. Tackling used to be a strength, it has collectively gotten worse.
Originally posted by thl408:

More man coverage. More blitzing. Loss of a solid slot CB (JWard). Loss of Ebukam and Omenihu has hurt the run defense. Tackling used to be a strength, it has collectively gotten worse.

Running a 5-2 on our front seven creates a lot of man matchups or soft zones because of all the space behind the line. It's probably the worst formation we could run with our current personnel.

We'd be better off running a 3-4 with our edges standing up. In fact, I started a thread last night that about why I think Wilks is trying to implement a hybrid scheme drawn from his Ron Rivera system background.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/197032-wilks-trying-transition-hybrid-3-4-defense-opinion/
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 2, 2023 at 9:31 AM ]

But how does a change in scheme and loss of players result in Bosa getting pushed around and Hargrave/AA not being effective against the run?

I'm not trying to be a dink I just think there's a lack of effort as well.
[ Edited by Silky on Nov 2, 2023 at 9:37 AM ]

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

But how does a change in scheme and loss of players result in Bosa getting pushed around and Hargrave/AA not being effective against the run?

IMO, Bosa getting pushed around this season is no ones fault but his. If he didn't hold out he would be in football shape, would've had a off season to get acclimated to Wilks defense. And Hargrave, his best season last year was due to having Fletcher Cox, Linval Joseph and Suh by his side. Armstead is just not that big body who can take on the double teams and help stop the run like they can to free up a Hargrave. Not to mention, Wilks play calling is suspect.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Kolohe:

IMO, Bosa getting pushed around this season is no ones fault but his. If he didn't hold out he would be in football shape, would've had a off season to get acclimated to Wilks defense. And Hargrave, his best season last year was due to having Fletcher Cox, Linval Joseph and Suh by his side. Armstead is just not that big body who can take on the double teams and help stop the run like they can to free up a Hargrave. Not to mention, Wilks play calling is suspect.

Regarding run defense from the DTs, I don't think Hargrave has ever been a stout run defender, he makes his impact as a pass rusher. So in a way, I consider him one dimensional. AA is a very good run defender on the edge, but just okay as a DT, imo. As an edge, he can use his length to control OTs. As a DT, he is more susceptible to being out leveraged by interior OLmen.

Interior run defense was flagged as a concern early in the offseason. Givens is lightweight. Kinlaw is inconsistent. I was hoping the team would retain Hassaan Ridgeway as a lowkey run defense contributor.

Regarding run defense from the DTs, I don't think Hargrave has ever been a stout run defender, he makes his impact as a pass rusher. So in a way, I consider him one dimensional. AA is a very good run defender on the edge, but just okay as a DT, imo. As an edge, he can use his length to control OTs. As a DT, he is more susceptible to being out leveraged by interior OLmen.

Interior run defense was flagged as a concern early in the offseason. Givens is lightweight. Kinlaw is inconsistent. I was hoping the team would retain Hassaan Ridgeway as a lowkey run defense contributor.

The bolded has been something really noticeable to me too this year.

Did the Eagles sub out Hargrave on run downs much? How much did he benefit from Fletcher Cox being next to him? These are question I ask now.

Personally, I feel like we need a true nose and to move AA back to the edge. A DE rotation of Bosa, Young, Gregory, AA sounds nice and would keep these guys even more fresh. Get more stout in the middle. We don't know what we have yet in Davis, but let him compete with some pluggers next year. Swap out Ferrell for an interior player.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Shoot I been saying this exact same thing when I wanted the 9ers to trade for a big run stuffer, was to kick Armstead out to DE. All that is irrelevant now that Chase Young is here, well not here in Hawaii but in SF, you know what I mean. And I agree, Hargrave has been said to be an average run defender and nothing he's great at, but that's why I think he excelled with Fletcher Cox, mask him from playing the run or help him. And I also seen that when Ridgeway went down the 49ers run defense last year had a huge drop off and exposed when they couldn't stop short yardage situations. The 49ers defense is aching for a big run stuffer, and I'm hoping DJ Reader is signed in the off season, or Suh RIGHT NOW!!! I ask myself over and over how can Wilks not see this stuff!!!!
Steve Wilts away our chance at an SB
Share 49ersWebzone