LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Montana:

Lol literally watched the Rick and Morty episode with the fortune cookies this morning for the first time.
I see Steelers head coach is bringing Canada down to the sidelines for better communic
ations with head coach on play calling....hmmmm Kyle hopefully does the same with Wilks ass
We will have a bottom 5 defense come years end. Epic fall from what we have been.

Sherman sounds like he knows something. At minimum, I get the feeling he might be a proponent for Bullocks as interim DC if Wilks can't crack it.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 2, 2023 at 1:55 PM ]
" He's TV "... I don't think he'll be a good coach nor have the patience to coach young fellas..

I've always respected his game but the guy always seem to find others at fault but him.. that's not a good sign of becoming a coach.. I rather offer the DB position to Witner.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Sherman sounds like he knows something. At minimum, I get the feeling he might be a proponent for Bullocks as interim DC if Wilks can't crack it.

"I trust John and Kyle to find the solutions to the issues and get the defense back on track" says all.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
What were the specific changes that Wilks made to the defense? Not just things like passion but what changes to the scheme? The biggest change I see is coaching from the booth instead of the sideline.

Im not a smart enough fan to know what he changed schematically. The eye test tells me there should not be these gaping holes with Hargrave and AA in the middle. Bosa should not be playing patty cake with opposing tackles as they easily let him blow past the QB and out of the play. Our corners and OLBs continue to get burnt by quick outside passes. At this point where are their instincts? You must know that stuff is coming. Hufanga, imo, has lost his impact. No opposing teams QB is confused or intimidated by all his movement.

Is it bad coaching or a lack of effort now? Maybe both? I think they drank the kool-aid and just assumed the defense would keep operating at a high level while taking a play off here and there. Then it snowballed. Of course Wilks has made some bone-headed decisions to compound all this.

Hopefully the Young trade will inject some life into the D and the rest of the team. I've had times at my real life job where I was given awards in the form of inspire points and bonuses and also praise. Then a month later I started to chill and not work as hard because I felt I could get away with it. Then I picked it up again. I think it can happen in sports too.

I see all that too but I'm asking if anyone can tell me what actual changes have been made in the scheme?

More man coverage. More blitzing. Loss of a solid slot CB (JWard). Loss of Ebukam and Omenihu has hurt the run defense. Tackling used to be a strength, it has collectively gotten worse.

But how does a change in scheme and loss of players result in Bosa getting pushed around and Hargrave/AA not being effective against the run?

I'm not trying to be a dink I just think there's a lack of effort as well.

IMO, Bosa getting pushed around this season is no ones fault but his. If he didn't hold out he would be in football shape, would've had a off season to get acclimated to Wilks defense. And Hargrave, his best season last year was due to having Fletcher Cox, Linval Joseph and Suh by his side. Armstead is just not that big body who can take on the double teams and help stop the run like they can to free up a Hargrave. Not to mention, Wilks play calling is suspect.

Regarding run defense from the DTs, I don't think Hargrave has ever been a stout run defender, he makes his impact as a pass rusher. So in a way, I consider him one dimensional. AA is a very good run defender on the edge, but just okay as a DT, imo. As an edge, he can use his length to control OTs. As a DT, he is more susceptible to being out leveraged by interior OLmen.

Interior run defense was flagged as a concern early in the offseason. Givens is lightweight. Kinlaw is inconsistent. I was hoping the team would retain Hassaan Ridgeway as a lowkey run defense contributor.

That's exactly what they were saying about Hargrave when he came over from the Eagles. He's an elite interior pass rusher, but he's a liability in run defense.
Originally posted by 9moon:
" He's TV "... I don't think he'll be a good coach nor have the patience to coach young fellas..

I've always respected his game but the guy always seem to find others at fault but him.. that's not a good sign of becoming a coach.. I rather offer the DB position to Witner.

Whitner would be a great Backfield coach and eventually possibly a DC. The only problem he would just draft from the Ohio State University lol.
Thanksgiving Nov 23 if Wilks still calling the defense plays

If Sherman wants to coach fine but is he really in a rush to do it when he has it good without the stress and hrs of coaching when he's on Undisputed, has his podcast, Amazon thursday night games and I'm sure other business endeavors.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Very classy response by him as well .
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
Thanksgiving Nov 23 if Wilks still calling the defense plays

All I want for the holidays is 49ers wins
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Matt Canada on the sidelines tonight. Maybe Wilks will follow suit.
Watching TNF and man both these teams are far less talented but coached up and flying to the ball. I hope we get back to our old ways soon.
Tim Ryan as DC and Greg Papa as special teams coach???? Maybe Gary Radnich as passing game coordinator and Mr T as tight ends coach?

Come on guys this makes the fan base look really bad.
Share 49ersWebzone