LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by Since07:
If they can't fix the pass rush with a bye and the addition of Gregory / Chase Young

Has there ever been such a drop off? Same players not getting older but actually entering their prime and go from #1-2 to bottom half.

I doubt Wilks is going to add any strategy if he doesn't even know the defense we run. I don't get the whole bring him down to the field thing, how does that help? So we can baby sit him on calling plays? Wtf

No, I can't think of any time a drop off has ever been this bad - especially after the ADDITION of the top FA pass rushing DT, or similar. I don't think Wilks being on the sideline will make a difference at all, and may actually get worse. Shanny talked about the benefits of calling from the booth - the more clear view point and having space to set out your plan - and with that, the idiot Wilks STILL called a zero blitz with 10 seconds left in the half! The real benefit of being on the sidelines is getting the players fired up, and Wilks just isn't that kind of coach - way different than Ryans and Saleh! I don't see anything getting better as long as Wilks is calling plays. The whole idea when he was signed, was to keep the front 7 playing the same, and for him to bring in some better coverage concepts and disguise coverages better. That is absolutely NOT what has happened. The fact that Shanny and Lynch are tolerating this, really makes me question their leadership.

This is what I see, we've had the pin your ears back and attack mentality for years between Demco Ryans / Robert Saleh and you would see the excitement not only from the coach but players running to them to dab them up.

This has completely disappeared, it's now don't "go make a play" but "contain your gap". Not only are they being limited but they don't have the same morale and heart to reciprocate with Wilks.
If they can't fix the pass rush with a bye and the addition of Gregory / Chase Young

Has there ever been such a drop off? Same players not getting older but actually entering their prime and go from #1-2 to bottom half.

I doubt Wilks is going to add any strategy if he doesn't even know the defense we run. I don't get the whole bring him down to the field thing, how does that help? So we can baby sit him on calling plays? Wtf

No, I can't think of any time a drop off has ever been this bad - especially after the ADDITION of the top FA pass rushing DT, or similar. I don't think Wilks being on the sideline will make a difference at all, and may actually get worse. Shanny talked about the benefits of calling from the booth - the more clear view point and having space to set out your plan - and with that, the idiot Wilks STILL called a zero blitz with 10 seconds left in the half! The real benefit of being on the sidelines is getting the players fired up, and Wilks just isn't that kind of coach - way different than Ryans and Saleh! I don't see anything getting better as long as Wilks is calling plays. The whole idea when he was signed, was to keep the front 7 playing the same, and for him to bring in some better coverage concepts and disguise coverages better. That is absolutely NOT what has happened. The fact that Shanny and Lynch are tolerating this, really makes me question their leadership.

This is what I see, we've had the pin your ears back and attack mentality for years between Demco Ryans / Robert Saleh and you would see the excitement not only from the coach but players running to them to dab them up.

This has completely disappeared, it's now don't "go make a play" but "contain your gap". Not only are they being limited but they don't have the same morale and heart to reciprocate with Wilks.

I think the big play being made on the field fires them up more, than high fiving the coach on the sideline. I think the players have the energy to fire each other up - especially with Fred Warner right there. The play calling and style have deflated them more than anything, I think. I've said it numerous times, Wilks took us from "All gas, no breaks" to "Put it in neutral, and let it idle". We should call him WILTS.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
There's no excuse now for this team not getting to the QB. There wasn't even before they got Chase Young and Gregory. Bosa needs to get back to his level of play that he had last yer. I watched the Bengals game again last night and Bosa was consistently handled by the tackle with no double teaming. I watched him on every snap until the 4th quarter and the double teaming wasn't there. He was charging straight into the tackle who was able to hold him off without any help. Sometimes there was a back ready to assist if anyone broke through but they weren't needed. Bosa and the rest of the line just isn't getting the job done. They're getting some pressure but obviously not enough because opposing teams are able to consistently complete passes. Burrow set a personal record for consecutive completions.If he was getting enough pressure then that wouldn't happen.

We just need to tell the other team's QB to stop finding open targets in 2-2.5 seconds.

Doesn't matter how unblocked our defenders are if the quick pass attack finds an open receiver 90 something percent of the time.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
The adjustment I hope Wilks makes during the bye:

1. Elevate TY McGill to the 53 man roster permanently.
2. Decrease Javon Kinlaw's snaps.
3. Decrease Olivers snaps or just bench him altogether for Womack if healthy.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by thl408:
What were the specific changes that Wilks made to the defense? Not just things like passion but what changes to the scheme? The biggest change I see is coaching from the booth instead of the sideline.

Im not a smart enough fan to know what he changed schematically. The eye test tells me there should not be these gaping holes with Hargrave and AA in the middle. Bosa should not be playing patty cake with opposing tackles as they easily let him blow past the QB and out of the play. Our corners and OLBs continue to get burnt by quick outside passes. At this point where are their instincts? You must know that stuff is coming. Hufanga, imo, has lost his impact. No opposing teams QB is confused or intimidated by all his movement.

Is it bad coaching or a lack of effort now? Maybe both? I think they drank the kool-aid and just assumed the defense would keep operating at a high level while taking a play off here and there. Then it snowballed. Of course Wilks has made some bone-headed decisions to compound all this.

Hopefully the Young trade will inject some life into the D and the rest of the team. I've had times at my real life job where I was given awards in the form of inspire points and bonuses and also praise. Then a month later I started to chill and not work as hard because I felt I could get away with it. Then I picked it up again. I think it can happen in sports too.

I see all that too but I'm asking if anyone can tell me what actual changes have been made in the scheme?

More man coverage. More blitzing. Loss of a solid slot CB (JWard). Loss of Ebukam and Omenihu has hurt the run defense. Tackling used to be a strength, it has collectively gotten worse.

But how does a change in scheme and loss of players result in Bosa getting pushed around and Hargrave/AA not being effective against the run?

I'm not trying to be a dink I just think there's a lack of effort as well.

IMO, Bosa getting pushed around this season is no ones fault but his. If he didn't hold out he would be in football shape, would've had a off season to get acclimated to Wilks defense. And Hargrave, his best season last year was due to having Fletcher Cox, Linval Joseph and Suh by his side. Armstead is just not that big body who can take on the double teams and help stop the run like they can to free up a Hargrave. Not to mention, Wilks play calling is suspect.

I am not defending Bosa in any way, and I've probably been his harshest critic since week one. but at this point, he's played and practiced more than enough to be in full football shape. As far as having the full offseason to get acclimated to whatever passes for Wilkes' defense - the whole rest of the team had that, and they aren't doing any better. So at this point I think the biggest issue by far is Wilks. I have seen a lack of effort from Bosa quite a bit, and him not even winning one on ones is concerning. But if Wilks is pushing gap control, and limiting Bosa's pass rush - that could also be part of it.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by thl408:
What were the specific changes that Wilks made to the defense? Not just things like passion but what changes to the scheme? The biggest change I see is coaching from the booth instead of the sideline.

Im not a smart enough fan to know what he changed schematically. The eye test tells me there should not be these gaping holes with Hargrave and AA in the middle. Bosa should not be playing patty cake with opposing tackles as they easily let him blow past the QB and out of the play. Our corners and OLBs continue to get burnt by quick outside passes. At this point where are their instincts? You must know that stuff is coming. Hufanga, imo, has lost his impact. No opposing teams QB is confused or intimidated by all his movement.

Is it bad coaching or a lack of effort now? Maybe both? I think they drank the kool-aid and just assumed the defense would keep operating at a high level while taking a play off here and there. Then it snowballed. Of course Wilks has made some bone-headed decisions to compound all this.

Hopefully the Young trade will inject some life into the D and the rest of the team. I've had times at my real life job where I was given awards in the form of inspire points and bonuses and also praise. Then a month later I started to chill and not work as hard because I felt I could get away with it. Then I picked it up again. I think it can happen in sports too.

I see all that too but I'm asking if anyone can tell me what actual changes have been made in the scheme?

More man coverage. More blitzing. Loss of a solid slot CB (JWard). Loss of Ebukam and Omenihu has hurt the run defense. Tackling used to be a strength, it has collectively gotten worse.

But how does a change in scheme and loss of players result in Bosa getting pushed around and Hargrave/AA not being effective against the run?

I'm not trying to be a dink I just think there's a lack of effort as well.

IMO, Bosa getting pushed around this season is no ones fault but his. If he didn't hold out he would be in football shape, would've had a off season to get acclimated to Wilks defense. And Hargrave, his best season last year was due to having Fletcher Cox, Linval Joseph and Suh by his side. Armstead is just not that big body who can take on the double teams and help stop the run like they can to free up a Hargrave. Not to mention, Wilks play calling is suspect.

I am not defending Bosa in any way, and I've probably been his harshest critic since week one. but at this point, he's played and practiced more than enough to be in full football shape. As far as having the full offseason to get acclimated to whatever passes for Wilkes' defense - the whole rest of the team had that, and they aren't doing any better. So at this point I think the biggest issue by far is Wilks. I have seen a lack of effort from Bosa quite a bit, and him not even winning one on ones is concerning. But if Wilks is pushing gap control, and limiting Bosa's pass rush - that could also be part of it.

Yes, it's not like Bosa was just partying like a rockstar while he was holding out, but IMO, missing Mini camps, OTA's and Training Camp should hinder him a little. But I think Bosa is getting back to form with all the pressures he's getting. But I don't think he's getting pushed around.

We need Womack ASAP

Hey now you cooking with GAS Yes please and twice on Sundays
  • bud49
  • Veteran

Kinlaws just a road bump.
I hope:

-Less blitzes because aren't working (unimaginative)
-Forget the 5-man fronts (only worked against the Giants)
-E-T stunts with Young
-Bench Oliver if Womack can play
-Odd fronts on passing downs to leave Bosa in 1 v 1
-More press-coverage

Please Wilks. <3
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
They don't have the pieces we do.

The 49ers don't have the pieces for a Fangio defense either. He was only a realistic candidate if he was willing to change up his approach upfront, which he clearly was not.

It really takes a whole year to turn around a system like his. If memory serves it was a rough start when he took DC in CHI. They didn't have the pieces and the players were thinking too much. I think by year 2, they added pieces and the players had acclimated and CHI's Def was way better. If we took Fangio he would run his scheme and this would have been a redshirt year, all year, for our D. We'd have a lot of ppl playing out of position until the roster was reshaped.
Wilks is like craving a can of mixed nuts and ya only get peanut shells
Originally posted by Montana:
Wilks is like craving a can of mixed nuts and ya only get peanut shells
Good analogy
"It's always challenging. When you've done your own thing for 17 years, it's a little different, but I'm encouraged. I've got a great supporting cast. These coaches around me are phenomenal. They know this defense. They know their craft. These players are great. We're all in this together.

Somehow I completely missed this full quote of Wilks after the Vikings game. Uh... Holy crap... The guy not only still doesn't know our scheme after all off-season and half an NFL season, he sounds like he doesn't really WANT to because he's done his "own thing for 17 years".

If our supporting coaches are that good and know the defense so well, maybe THEY should take over.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 4, 2023 at 7:59 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone