LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 210 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Has Kyle ever fired his DC in mid season? I can't remember him doing it.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
"It's always challenging. When you've done your own thing for 17 years, it's a little different, but I'm encouraged. I've got a great supporting cast. These coaches around me are phenomenal. They know this defense. They know their craft. These players are great. We're all in this together.

Somehow I completely missed this full quote of Wilks after the Vikings game. Uh... Holy crap... The guy not only still doesn't know our scheme after all off-season and half an NFL season, he sounds like he doesn't really WANT to because he's done his "own thing for 17 years".

If our supporting coaches are that good and know the defense so well, maybe THEY should take over.

At the very least let Kocurek do his thing.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
Thanksgiving Nov 23 if Wilks still calling the defense plays

Geno has never played too well against this defense.

If their running game gets going though...yeah that would be a shame

Different defense. This is the 49ers defense we know. Geno will torch this D.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I won't say fire Steve Wilks, I'll just say "please change things up and bench some players" instead. Firing Wilks means the 49ers are outta the playoffs and they would be the laughing stock of the NFL if that were to happen. So C'mon Wilks/Shanahan lets start benching some damn players, Oliver and Kinlaw come to mind. Addition by subtraction is what's best for the 49ers right now.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I won't say fire Steve Wilks, I'll just say "please change things up and bench some players" instead. Firing Wilks means the 49ers are outta the playoffs and they would be the laughing stock of the NFL if that were to happen. So C'mon Wilks/Shanahan lets start benching some damn players, Oliver and Kinlaw come to mind. Addition by subtraction is what's best for the 49ers right now.

Oliver definitely needs to be benched. Kinlaw has been decent, and it's not like he starts.

The biggest issue is with Wilks is not using certain players to their strengths, and like he admitted he has a certain way of running his defense.

That's not a sign of a good coach. Good coaches scheme around their players.

Idk wtf has happened though bc the defense was playing very well for the most during that 5-0 run, we embarrassed the Cowboys on ntv and held them to 10 points...

Lawrence so far has been pretty meh this year, if we make him look like an all pro I will also be on board for him to get fired.
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by Montana:
Wilks is like craving a can of mixed nuts and ya only get peanut shells
Good analogy

Thanks I came up with that all on my own, working hard this Sat lol
As bad as Ambry Thomas was outside, I feel like Oliver is so bad at nickel, we'd be better off rotating Thomas and Womack (when he returns) and letting Lenoir work inside and out.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 4, 2023 at 11:45 AM ]
As bad as Ambry Thomas was outside, I feel like Oliver is so bad at nickel, we'd be better off rotating Thomas and Womack (when he returns) and letting Lenoir work inside and out.

Really hoping Womack steps up and makes on impact in the secondary when he returns. He's been good on ST...need him making plays as a DB,

Wouldn't mind your above plan as Oliver just isn't getting it done at nickel, and teams will continue to exploit it. Thomas also has to play better if/when he's getting playing time in the secondary.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Guy seemed to suck Hufanga's 6th sense out of him.

How would Oliver be outside? He fits that longer profile. Slide Lenoir inside.

Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Really hoping Womack steps up and makes on impact in the secondary when he returns. He's been good on ST...need him making plays as a DB,

Wouldn't mind your above plan as Oliver just isn't getting it done at nickel, and teams will continue to exploit it. Thomas also has to play better if/when he's getting playing time in the secondary.

What happened to Womack? He started out hot and then was benched. Then this off season Wilks moved him outside. And now he's absent. Something seems off on this one.
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Wilks is like craving a can of mixed nuts and ya only get peanut shells
Good analogy

Thanks I came up with that all on my own, working hard this Sat lol

Wilks is like getting the wrong item you ordered in the mail but customer service won't answer the phone.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Oliver definitely needs to be benched. Kinlaw has been decent, and it's not like he starts.

The biggest issue is with Wilks is not using certain players to their strengths, and like he admitted he has a certain way of running his defense.

That's not a sign of a good coach. Good coaches scheme around their players.

Idk wtf has happened though bc the defense was playing very well for the most during that 5-0 run, we embarrassed the Cowboys on ntv and held them to 10 points...

Lawrence so far has been pretty meh this year, if we make him look like an all pro I will also be on board for him to get fired.

Yes Wilks is part of the problem, but we need to hope he makes adjustments instead of hoping that he gets fired. But as for Kinlaw, he's been winning some of his match ups vs the pass but gets completely taken out of running plays. 49ers could use a better run defender like TY McGill or spend some money and bring in Suh. For me stopping the run would be my first and main priority, I'm not sure WTF Wilks is thinking. If he marched out the same defense and the only change is Chase Young, you can kiss the season goodbye.
Originally posted by NCommand:

How would Oliver be outside? He fits that longer profile. Slide Lenoir inside.

Everything wilks does is opposite. No idea if he would be better outside but I don't know that I wanna find out..

Luter would be too rusty to contribute right now IMO but Womack I think if healthy could at least offer some resistance to opposing receivers.

I'm done with this big slot little slot game. Just get a slot who has the skills to get the job done and plays big when they have to.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 4, 2023 at 12:45 PM ]
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Wilks is like getting the wrong item you ordered in the mail but customer service won't answer the phone.

Wilks is like ordering a combination pizza only to receive a packet of parmesan cheese
Share 49ersWebzone