There are 143 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
As bad as Ambry Thomas was outside, I feel like Oliver is so bad at nickel, we'd be better off rotating Thomas and Womack (when he returns) and letting Lenoir work inside and out.

How would Oliver be outside? He fits that longer profile. Slide Lenoir inside.

Everything wilks does is opposite. No idea if he would be better outside but I don't know that I wanna find out..

Luter would be too rusty to contribute right now IMO but Womack I think if healthy could at least offer some resistance to opposing receivers.

I'm done with this big slot little slot game. Just get a slot who has the skills to get the job done and plays big when they have to.

It really does feel like that!
As bad as Ambry Thomas was outside, I feel like Oliver is so bad at nickel, we'd be better off rotating Thomas and Womack (when he returns) and letting Lenoir work inside and out.

How would Oliver be outside? He fits that longer profile. Slide Lenoir inside.

Everything wilks does is opposite. No idea if he would be better outside but I don't know that I wanna find out..

Luter would be too rusty to contribute right now IMO but Womack I think if healthy could at least offer some resistance to opposing receivers.

I'm done with this big slot little slot game. Just get a slot who has the skills to get the job done and plays big when they have to.

It really does feel like that!

After reading Matt's mailbag, he apparently thinks there's zero chance they let Womack have another chance at nickel.

If that's the case.. Then we have no choice but let Ambry take his lumps. I understand he gets burnt on assignments at times, but the fact is, he's just as good as Oliver at tackling and run support and while not the best in coverage, he's nowhere near as bad as Oliver's 100% guaranteed catch rate.
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Wilks is like getting the wrong item you ordered in the mail but customer service won't answer the phone.

Wilks is like ordering a combination pizza only to receive a packet of parmesan cheese

Wilks is like that Tinder chick whose pics look like Jennifer Lawrence but IRL looks like Lawrence Taylor
Wilks is like that Tinder chick whose pics look like Jennifer Lawrence but IRL looks like Lawrence Taylor

Wilks is like expecting something fun and exciting from a dental appt
Originally posted by Montana:

Offfff had my share of those

Thomas' coverage numbers may look bad but IMO they're unfairly skewed due to way less # of snaps.

What's interesting is although it's limited snaps, he didn't miss a single tackle.

Oliver's tackling according to this has been horrific. This is way worse than I thought. This puts him as not only the worst coverage guy, but worst tackler in the secondary.

Also not surprising, Greenlaw has looked awful playing hurt. Can't cover or tackle like his normal self.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 4, 2023 at 9:33 PM ]

Thomas' coverage numbers may look bad but IMO they're unfairly skewed due to way less # of snaps.

What's interesting is although it's limited snaps, he didn't miss a single tackle.

Oliver's tackling according to this has been horrific. This is way worse than I thought. This puts him as not only the worst coverage guy, but worst tackler in the secondary.

Also not surprising, Greenlaw has looked awful playing hurt. Can't cover or tackle like his normal self.

Fred and Greenlaw with all those missed tackles
Wilks is like the chocolate chip cookie that turns out to be oatmeal raisin
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Wilks is like the chocolate chip cookie that turns out to be oatmeal raisin

Yo mamma so Wilks, her idea of changing things up is adjusting her recliner

Originally posted by Kolohe:
I won't say fire Steve Wilks, I'll just say "please change things up and bench some players" instead. Firing Wilks means the 49ers are outta the playoffs and they would be the laughing stock of the NFL if that were to happen. So C'mon Wilks/Shanahan lets start benching some damn players, Oliver and Kinlaw come to mind. Addition by subtraction is what's best for the 49ers right now.

I would actually say the opposite, and by keeping Wilks it makes us the laughing stock of the NFL. Wilks talked about keeping the things that worked, and that he had been watching all this film to get up to speed on our defense - and that has been a lie. He's thrown out EVERYTHING that has worked for us, and made this defense a mockery of what it was. He came in and started doing his own thing, and even with all the evidence of how bad it is - continues to do it. He is saying that he knows better than Ryans or Saleh. And for Shanny and Lynch to allow this to continue, it's like saying Wilks knows better than they do.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by RDB4216:
I won't say fire Steve Wilks, I'll just say "please change things up and bench some players" instead. Firing Wilks means the 49ers are outta the playoffs and they would be the laughing stock of the NFL if that were to happen. So C'mon Wilks/Shanahan lets start benching some damn players, Oliver and Kinlaw come to mind. Addition by subtraction is what's best for the 49ers right now.

I would actually say the opposite, and by keeping Wilks it makes us the laughing stock of the NFL. Wilks talked about keeping the things that worked, and that he had been watching all this film to get up to speed on our defense - and that has been a lie. He's thrown out EVERYTHING that has worked for us, and made this defense a mockery of what it was. He came in and started doing his own thing, and even with all the evidence of how bad it is - continues to do it. He is saying that he knows better than Ryans or Saleh. And for Shanny and Lynch to allow this to continue, it's like saying Wilks knows better than they do.

No I mean during the season, of course if things get worse you can't keep Wilks around. Because we can cry out for Wilks to get fired for the rest of the season and it won't happen till maybe the second to the last game if anything.

No I mean during the season, of course if things get worse you can't keep Wilks around. Because we can cry out for Wilks to get fired for the rest of the season and it won't happen till maybe the second to the last game if anything.

If it takes Shanny and Lynch until the second to last game to realize there is a problem, then they should just quit football now. Jed York should be losing his mind right saying "I spent ALL that money for a pass rush and THIS is what I got??".
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

If it takes Shanny and Lynch until the second to last game to realize there is a problem, then they should just quit football now. Jed York should be losing his mind right saying "I spent ALL that money for a pass rush and THIS is what I got??".

So when do you think they should fire him in two games?? Three games?? I'm not trying to defend Wilks here and I know you're not saying that, but realistically I don't see Shanahan firing him as quick as fans want. I believe players will be benched before Wilks is fired.

So when do you think they should fire him in two games?? Three games?? I'm not trying to defend Wilks here and I know you're not saying that, but realistically I don't see Shanahan firing him as quick as fans want. I believe players will be benched before Wilks is fired.

I'm not against getting rid of him but I don't know how much good it will do in midseason. Do they have anyone on the staff that can step in and be a good DC? I prefer making large changes like that after the season is over. Then they have more options and the new DC gets a chance to come in and install his ideas during the camps.
Share 49ersWebzone