Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Disp:
But they've been getting shredded in the first half especially, and buckled down a bit in the second half. That's on the coaching and adjustments. Stafford, Burrow and Cousins eviscerated them in the first halves of their games. Even Dobbs led that 99 yard drive in the first half. The problems are almost all on the coaching and play calls.

what's interesting is the energy in here, vs reality, if this thread ran NFL clubs, every team would fire their DC, with every loss

for example, you mention Dobbs, ATL hosted Dobbs and lost, they gave up 31
Dobbs was in MIN for like 5 days. With no JJ. So that DC needs to go. The DC who gave up 70 needs to go. The DC in Indy when PJ Walker went for near 40, he needs to go. Dan Quinn in DAL when we put up a 40 spot, he needs to go..

And so forth..

The problem isn't 'all on coaching', it's missed tackles, guys not making plays on a platter to be made, that's an issue also

I'm sorry, but guys missing tackles and racking up penalties is a coaching issue. And Atlanta/Denver don't have pro bowl/all pro players littered throughout the defense. Our unit has been top 3 in the league pretty much every year since 2019 (with the only drop in 2020 when half the team was on IR).

eh, I mean go back to Burrow and he escapes two clear sacks. That's just guys not executing imo. KS said the same. It was schemed well. KS was talking about Burrow taking hitches, cuz it was covered up, and guys got home, got to bring him to the ground, this isn't that hard. Not everything is Wilks, if a guy is in a spot to make a play, that play has to be made. I don't blame any coordinator for Tartt having it bounce off the pads. Players gotta play, the game on D is won more by players than scheme imo. Watch with all our talent, we will start playing well, and ppl will say they are doing it, in spite of Wilks, you have created a scapegoat.. not you personally, but fans have

Joe Burrow - 87.5% completion, 8.8 y/a
Kirk Cousins - 77.5% completion, 8.8 y/a

That's not just because players didn't make plays.

do Dak and DAL what happened in that game? let me guess if we win, Wilks is a genius (or maybe players did it in spite of him), if we lose he's an idiot

I'll give a hint, turns out Burrow and Kirk are pretty darn good QBs, Dak and Stafford are also, but when you go up against high end QBs, you win some, and you lose some,

hopefully you can learn from the Ls and get it next time. I'll take a top 5 D, it's not a bad spot to be, most all the NFL would trade places.. matter of fact, just saw this piece from NFL.com, they listed the Ds that can win a championship, we are the 2nd team mentioned in all of football

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-defenses-that-can-win-a-championship-plus-the-early-coach-of-the-year-and-a-

do Dak and DAL what happened in that game? let me guess if we win, Wilks is a genius (or maybe players did it in spite of him), if we lose he's an idiot

I'll give a hint, turns out Burrow and Kirk are pretty darn good QBs, Dak and Stafford are also, but when you go up against high end QBs, you win some, and you lose some,

hopefully you can learn from the Ls and get it next time. I'll take a top 5 D, it's not a bad spot to be, most all the NFL would trade places.. matter of fact, just saw this piece from NFL.com, they listed the Ds that can win a championship, we are the 2nd team mentioned in all of football

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-defenses-that-can-win-a-championship-plus-the-early-coach-of-the-year-and-a-
you didn't see the DL/coverage issue during the win streak ?
  • Disp
  • Veteran

So all those games are outliers, but our 1 game against Dallas isn't?

Here are the quarterbacks we've played well against: Dak, Kenny Pickett, Daniel Jones, P.J. Walker, and half the game against Stafford. A real murderers' row. Our last 3 games:

334 yards to the Browns
452 yards to the Vikings
460 yards to the Bengals

They're not playing like a top 5 defense right now.
  • bud49
  • Veteran

So all those games are outliers, but our 1 game against Dallas isn't?

Here are the quarterbacks we've played well against: Dak, Kenny Pickett, Daniel Jones, P.J. Walker, and half the game against Stafford. A real murderers' row. Our last 3 games:

334 yards to the Browns
452 yards to the Vikings
460 yards to the Bengals

They're not playing like a top 5 defense right now.

I think some of the credit the defense is getting is from past seasons reputation and not necessarily all on this season.
[ Edited by bud49 on Nov 6, 2023 at 4:20 PM ]
Originally posted by bud49:
I think some of the credit the defense is getting is from past seasons reputation and not necessarily all on this season.

I think ppl look at an insanely talented unit, with a guy handpicked by JL and KS who has been a HC in this league, and say, we will get it figured
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

That 99 yard Cards drive was hard to miss.
-Steelers: 95-yd drive against us and the have the most boring and predictable O in the league.
-Rams: no punts in the 1st half.
-Cardinals: 2 back to back +90-yd drives.

I'd say that our D never was that good with Wilks but no one wanted to talk about that when the team was winning.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Agreed....McDaniels was the creative add to the mix and without a great DC Kyle's not that guy. When Kyle wins one we will get off his case.

He ignores the O line and secondary year after year and this is what happens. If he wins it all then it worked, if he does not win one then it does not work, simple as that.

All the toxic positivity is not going to solve the Problems this team has. We shall see but next year is probably the last dance for this team.

Funny how McDaniel great offense seems to sputter against anyone with a solid D.

NYHAHAHHAHAHA.... that just proves you that " Apple Doesn't Fall Far From The Tree " !!!

Thank you Thank you Thank you !!

Been waiting for all the SHANNYGANS to make your comment, and YOU DID NOT DISAPPOINT !!!

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

That 99 yard Cards drive was hard to miss.
i will take his silence as admission

Originally posted by jimmy3233:
hopefully this bye week, kyle has prepped one of the position D coaches to be ready to take over if we have any s**t performance by Wilks against the Jags.
So much talent esp now with Chase Young that if he continues to allow teams to walk down the field for long drives resulting in losses then he has to be fired.
If he continues to be a coach after f**king up and we lose then I'm shifting my blame to Kyle because as HC you need to make the big boy calls on firing an inadequate coordinator.

Thank you....
Just checking in again to see if Wilks got any better or if he still sucks.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:

My guess Is that he'll still suck come Sunday.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
-Steelers: 95-yd drive against us and the have the most boring and predictable O in the league.
-Rams: no punts in the 1st half.
-Cardinals: 2 back to back +90-yd drives.

I'd say that our D never was that good with Wilks but no one wanted to talk about that when the team was winning.

W's hide flaws for sure. The L's bring them out.
The jags first drive will tell us what we need to know.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:

My guess Is that he'll still suck come Sunday.

TOP wll go to the jags
Share 49ersWebzone