LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 177 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Now he can get yelled at directly for dumb play calling and scheme.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Now he can get yelled at directly for dumb play calling and scheme.

I guess he's now expected to be LESS AIR-HEADED DC since he wont be sitting at that elevatod coaches box..

Maybe we can move him into the stands and have him sell nachos
Originally posted by MrGriz:

Bet they would be soft nachos
Originally posted by 9moon:
I guess he's now expected to be LESS AIR-HEADED DC since he wont be sitting at that elevatod coaches box..

More animated at least lol

Does this mean somebody else is calling plays in the booth?
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Why do I think this won't work, we need a jacked DC that will get the dudes hyped
Originally posted by JMC52:
Why do I think this won't work, we need a jacked DC that will get the dudes hyped

s**t who knows. Maybe it will open some doors Wilks didn't know he had keys too.

he'd sell em for zero tho, you don't want that
I know some have said it could be a lot worse with someone else calling the plays who's never done it before, but I don't know about that. If they're a bright coach, they could be a lot better than expected.

I mean, look at Bobby Slowik in Houston. And even Mike McDaniel had never called plays before. Plenty of others across the league doing well when they get their shot, so I'm not totally convinced that you'd have a big drop-off, especially if it's a smart former player like Sorenson or Bullocks.

Saleh as a rookie DC did way better with less than Wilks despite all Steve's experience.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 8, 2023 at 5:46 PM ]

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I know some have said it could be a lot worse with someone else calling the plays who's never done it before, but I don't know about that. If they're a bright coach, they could be a lot better than expected.

I mean, look at Bobby Slowik in Houston. And even Mike McDaniel had never called plays before. Plenty of others across the league doing well when they get their shot, so I'm not totally convinced that you'd have a big drop-off, especially if it's a smart former player like Sorenson or Bullocks.

Saleh as a rookie DC did way better with less than Wilks despite all Steve's experience.

Demeco too
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I dont think moving to the sideline makes a difference..hopefully it does. I'm for anything that helps him improve

I think if you are a very good coordinator the booth is fine, otherwise better off on the sidelines.

Don't these guys have assistants in the booth to give them that perspective during the game as well?

100% they do. I was a booth assistant for a defensive coordinator of a junior college team, NFL defensive coordinators probably have 3-4 if not more. I'd guess only one talks to them, but the others are looking at matchups, possible injuries, personnel groups, etc.

Thank you for that insight. So in the end he needs to understand how to energize his guys (sidelines) and work with his staff ( and his own brain) on defensive calls. I have a feeling he's not an instinctive x and o guy. Certainly not like Kyle where he sees what they are doing after 4 plays etc.
Looks like he'll finally learn his player's name's
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I dont think moving to the sideline makes a difference..hopefully it does. I'm for anything that helps him improve

I think if you are a very good coordinator the booth is fine, otherwise better off on the sidelines.

Don't these guys have assistants in the booth to give them that perspective during the game as well?

100% they do. I was a booth assistant for a defensive coordinator of a junior college team, NFL defensive coordinators probably have 3-4 if not more. I'd guess only one talks to them, but the others are looking at matchups, possible injuries, personnel groups, etc.

Thank you for that insight. So in the end he needs to understand how to energize his guys (sidelines) and work with his staff ( and his own brain) on defensive calls. I have a feeling he's not an instinctive x and o guy. Certainly not like Kyle where he sees what they are doing after 4 plays etc.
i don't think he's going down to the sidelines to motivate.

When Wilks was in the booth, all the guys on defense can't be on the phones talking to wilks at the same time. I believe he's moving down to get feedback from the defense and what they are seeing (what's working/What's not) in person than on the phones.
Again he's not a hype guy. Hope it helps but again was really only an issue if calls were taking too long to get in thru a middle man. It shouldn't matter where he plants his butt.

Lets see how it goes.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Nov 8, 2023 at 7:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone