LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 201 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I know some have said it could be a lot worse with someone else calling the plays who's never done it before, but I don't know about that. If they're a bright coach, they could be a lot better than expected.

I mean, look at Bobby Slowik in Houston. And even Mike McDaniel had never called plays before. Plenty of others across the league doing well when they get their shot, so I'm not totally convinced that you'd have a big drop-off, especially if it's a smart former player like Sorenson or Bullocks.

Saleh as a rookie DC did way better with less than Wilks despite all Steve's experience.

Ryans and Saleh hadn't called plays, had they? Took a bit to get groovin, but not this long. Wilks gets worse week by week.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Ryans and Saleh hadn't called plays, had they? Took a bit to get groovin, but not this long. Wilks gets worse week by week.

Exactly.

People forget that Saleh and Ryans were rookies when they were named DC's and now I think that Bullocks was the next man in line for the job but Shanahan decided to bring someone from outside and after 8 games the defense has gotten worse every week.
I don't really care about Wilks moving to the sidelines because that doesn't mean that he will be good there.

Saleh and Ryans were in the sidelines and they were great while Lord Fangio was in the booth and he was great.

O'Neil was in the sidelines and he was awful.

Ir you are a good coordinator you will be good no matter where you are and if you suck you will suck no matter where you are.

Originally posted by Monsterniner:
I don't really care about Wilks moving to the sidelines because that doesn't mean that he will be good there.

Saleh and Ryans were in the sidelines and they were great while Lord Fangio was in the booth and he was great.

Ir you are a good coordinator you will be good no matter where you are and if you suck you will suck no matter where you are.

Exactly 💯
  • Originally posted by Monsterniner:

Very true. Make sense! I already know it!
[ Edited by BuZzB05 on Nov 8, 2023 at 8:22 PM ]
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp

lets be honest, the man has got a point
Originally posted by DRnSFw:

Yeah I said it won't make any difference at all. Just as bad of a defensive coordinator and just as bad of a scheme and calls.
if this doesn't work i guess we can have him call plays from the locker room

It's about communication. Stop listening to grant Cohn clones.
I need Head Coach Shanahan can ask to Wilks if he knows how calls plays for sack and pressured?! If they didnt working out for defense then fired him next game please..

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I mean if Ruch Madrid has better views then why not share them instead of mocking us fans?? Tell you what, when Wilks was on the sideline last season the Panthers went 4-2 so why not try it??

FWIW I could never stand any of his (Rich Madrid) post, they just come off so arrogant. Who the f**k is he anyway??
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SFTifoso:

This!!!
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I mean if Ruch Madrid has better views then why not share them instead of mocking us fans?? Tell you what, when Wilks was on the sideline last season the Panthers went 4-2 so why not try it??

FWIW I could never stand any of his (Rich Madrid) post, they just come off so arrogant. Who the f**k is he anyway??

Whoa buddy relax, you getting riled up over a tweet, lol you need to step away from the internet and be with family and friends, i guess you are the fan(s) he is referring too lol
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SFTifoso:

This!!!

Correction, need to add SFT into the fandom as well not just keyhole

Cope and have a good night fellas
I feel people saying a coach being down on the field makes no difference have ever worked a high stress job where performance mattered and it was a non stop grind. 1000000% that s**t makes a difference to be face to face with someone vs. over the phone or 5 degrees of separation. Beyond accountability you get instant feedback from players. What did you see, why did you have this reaction, is this something we can take advantage of, etc. There's just a difference.

Now that doesn't mean wilks on field fixes everything but I think it's a good start and see where it goes
Share 49ersWebzone