LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 236 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
If he's not then you're right. I guess Kyle thunks it's worth a shot. How much worse can they get.

4th in ppg so there's a long way down they can go

I mean the real issue is three straight games of scoring 17 points. Whatever the cause, that's not acceptable.

that's how I see it, if we imagine that KS was a D mastermind, and the new hire was an OC, all the ire would probably be in the OC thread right now. That's who would be getting scapegoated. Wilks is getting the heat from fans, cuz he's the new kid on the block, he's an easy guy to kick when down, for ppl who have emotional attachment to Brock or Kyle, etc

D this year isn't doing that bad, now a lot of sloppy tackling last few weeks, inability to get teams off the field, and a true scheme headscratcher at the end of 1st half vs Vikings

It's complementary losses tho, offense, D and special teams all doing their part
  • Antix
  • Veteran
If he's not then you're right. I guess Kyle thunks it's worth a shot. How much worse can they get.

I mean the real issue is three straight games of scoring 17 points. Whatever the cause, that's not acceptable.

Let's try not turning the ball over inside the 10 yard line anymore.
Originally posted by Antix:
Let's try not turning the ball over inside the 10 yard line anymore.

true and lets recall also, we took it off CLE and set up the O with an 8 yd TD drive
so the D gifted 7 of our 17 vs CLE

It makes no difference where they're ranked. When you lose it's aloss no matter what the margin is. You aren't going to win many games scoring only 17 points.

When I first mentioned the coach being on the sideline it was during an ongoing discussion about what's wrong with the D and why aren't they getting more sacks. I said that the players have been used to having their D on the sideline and maybe they missed that. If Wilks isn't a rah-rah guy then maybe that's why he preferred the booth. There is definitely value to having that guy that pumps u the players. Pete Carroll isn't any type of coaching genius but he's a great motivator. The question is do the 49ers have a guy like that. Saleh was. Ryans was. Is Wilks?
I would like to make a bet with anyone who thinks Wilks is returning as our DC next season.

Any takers?

Dude we are like 15th with the best front 7 personnel in the league. That's absolutely unacceptable. It's horrible.

Offense has had fumbles, interceptions and special teams has missed FG's. Those are the 17 point problems. It would be more. I think those will get worked out. Even if we hit the FG it would be 2 losses and not 3 and this team wouldn't look anywhere near as bad or desperate now. Keep it in perspective. The defense is hugely problematic with this personnel. There is no reason to be that bad with that much talent.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Dude we are like 15th with the best front 7 personnel in the league. That's absolutely unacceptable. It's horrible.

Offense has had fumbles, interceptions and special teams has missed FG's. Those are the 17 point problems. It would be more. I think those will get worked out. Even if we hit the FG it would be 2 losses and not 3 and this team wouldn't look anywhere near as bad or desperate now. Keep it in perspective. The defense is hugely problematic with this personnel. There is no reason to be that bad with that much talent.

15th DVOA, 4th in points, I believe 10th yds
it'll get turned SD, too much talent, and ppl will say the talent overcame Wilks scheme or some such
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I would like to make a bet with anyone who thinks Wilks is returning as our DC next season.

Any takers?

He's gone. It goes back to the old saying of if there is smoke, there's fire. I don't think there has ever been any critical comments made from Shanahan about any of his coaches. Most times he sticks up for them, but this hasn't quite been the case for Wilks. At best, he makes it to the end of the season.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Any takers?
Still ways to go
I am predicting that we are going to hold the Jagz under 13 points while both GANJA GREGGORY and FOREVER YOUNG will have 2 sacks a piece..

suddenly, the hiring of Wilks is a work of a GENIUS !!!

it'll get turned SD, too much talent, and ppl will say the talent overcame Wilks scheme or some such

I hope it does get turned. Those numbers seem bad for the overwhelming amount of talent we have. There is too much talent for that.
Where Wilks stands is not as important as where the players stand. Our good/great players must play up to their press clippings. It is that simple.

This defense had some great games with Wilks in the booth. If they start playing back to the level of those first five games it won't be because Wilks is on the field.

just saying
Originally posted by dj43:
Where Wilks stands is not as important as where the players stand. Our good/great players must play up to their press clippings. It is that simple.

This defense had some great games with Wilks in the booth. If they start playing back to the level of those first five games it won't be because Wilks is on the field.

just saying

x1mil

I hope it does get turned. Those numbers seem bad for the overwhelming amount of talent we have. There is too much talent for that.

Ravens have a SPECTACULAR defense and I can only name one or two dudes that play on it. For everything that's been invested on that side of the ball, this D should be top 5 in every category.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Ravens have a SPECTACULAR defense and I can only name one or two dudes that play on it. For everything that's been invested on that side of the ball, this D should be top 5 in every category.
There are quite a few big names on their D.
Roquan Smith, Patrick Queen, Kyle Hamilton, Jadeveon Clowney, and Marlon Humphrey are pretty popular players and 1st rounders.
Share 49ersWebzone